PowerSRDv2.0 / Ensemble RX Si570 based reciever problems

  • n2jdq2009
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2010
      I have built one of Tony's Ensemble RX's and have been experimenting with different software. So far Ive used windadHD ( not so happy with it ) and have made a little amount of progress using powersdr v2.0

      My issue is that it seems all sideband signals are opisite of whet they should be, and images of the signals making tuning near impossible.

      I am quite new to the sdr community, any advice would be much helpfull.

      -Steve Raas
      N2JDQ
    • Brent G DeWitt
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2010

        This is usually caused by the reversal of the I and Q outputs to the sound card.

        73

        Brent – AB1LF

        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2010
          Reversing the left and right audio connections will cure the opposite
          sidebnad problem. Seeing large images indicates the 2 audio outputs are
          not the same amplitude, one is missing, the soundcard input is not
          stereo, or the mixer settings are not correct.

          Dave - WB6DHW
          <http://wb6dhw.com>

          n2jdq2009 wrote:
          > I have built one of Tony's Ensemble RX's and have been experimenting with different software. So far Ive used windadHD ( not so happy with it ) and have made a little amount of progress using powersdr v2.0
          >
          > My issue is that it seems all sideband signals are opisite of whet they should be, and images of the signals making tuning near impossible.
          >
          > I am quite new to the sdr community, any advice would be much helpfull.
          >
          > -Steve Raas
          > N2JDQ

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 9, 2010
            Hi Steve,

            Probably it would have been much better to enquire directly on the SoftRock forum as more expertise on the Ensemble range is available there.

            PowerSDR is unique in that the I/Q signals are the reverse to all of the other available SDR programs, and in the 'official' FlexRadio versions there is no facility to reverse them in the software set-up.

            What I recommend to all SoftRock builders is to swap the I/Q signals, in the case of the Ensemble range, simply cross over the two links on the I/Q output rather than linking them straight across. They will then be the correct way around for all versions of PSDR, and for Rocky and Winrad, in the software set up select 'swap I/Q' and everything is then compatible.

            PSDR v2.0 is still really only a beta software release and there are 'issues' with the operation of the image rejection. Gerald Youngblood recently posted something on one of the Flex forums.

            Rocky is the simplest SDR program to get running first to checkout your Ensemble, and has by far the best image rejection capability. If you still have image problems using that, then as Dave comments, you are into the usual sort of problems, i.e mono soundcard, soundcard cable problem, of something in the Ensemble hardware, perhaps either the I/Q completely missing or unequal amplitudes.

            A simple test is to remove either the I or Q signal and does the image rejection alter? If that has no effect, almost certainly one of them is missing.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Dave - WB6DHW <brainerd@...> wrote:

            > Reversing the left and right audio connections will cure the opposite
            > sidebnad problem. Seeing large images indicates the 2 audio outputs are
            > not the same amplitude, one is missing, the soundcard input is not
            > stereo, or the mixer settings are not correct.
            >
            > Dave - WB6DHW
            > <http://wb6dhw.com>
            >
            > n2jdq2009 wrote:
            > > I have built one of Tony's Ensemble RX's and have been experimenting with different software. So far Ive used windadHD ( not so happy with it ) and have made a little amount of progress using powersdr v2.0
            > >
            > > My issue is that it seems all sideband signals are opisite of whet they should be, and images of the signals making tuning near impossible.
            > >
            > > I am quite new to the sdr community, any advice would be much helpfull.
            > >
            > > -Steve Raas
            > > N2JDQ

          • qrpbear
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 9, 2010
              Steve,

              I appeared to have similar problems to what you describe with my new Ensemble RXTX. I was also seeing output levels that were too high for WSPR and JT65-HF. The cure was to simply reduce the RF gain (AGC-T) until the levels were correct. My AGC-T is now set at 60. Curiously this also cleaned up what appeared to be images. Using an Emu 0202 I now see no images and no hump at DC.

              72,

              'Bear' NH7SR
            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2010
                Hi Bear,

                You can set the levels of the 'audio' streams between PSDR and WSPR using the two sliders in the VAC box on the main PSDR screen when you have DIGL mode selected.

                73, Bob G8VOI

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "qrpbear" <qrpbear@...> wrote:

                > Steve,
                >
                > I appeared to have similar problems to what you describe with my new Ensemble RXTX. I was also seeing output levels that were too high for WSPR and JT65-HF. The cure was to simply reduce the RF gain (AGC-T) until the levels were correct. My AGC-T is now set at 60. Curiously this also cleaned up what appeared to be images. Using an Emu 0202 I now see no images and no hump at DC.
                >
                > 72,
                >
                > 'Bear' NH7SR

              • g8voip
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 9, 2010
                  Hi,

                  Slight correction, should have said use DIGU mode, WSPR always uses upper side band, thanks for pointing that out Pete.

                  73, Bob G8VOI