Any plans on supporting the SDR-IQ receiver by RFSPACE?

  • sdleander
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2010
      I did a search on "SDR-IQ" (lots of hits obviously) and "RFSPACE" (zero hits), so hopefully I am not asking something that has been addressed many times already.

      I use a SDR-IQ receiver by RFSPACE - wonderful device that works great as a IF Panadaptor for my K3. I went this route rather than a softrock + LP-PAN + soundcard to mainly simplify (less boxes, wires, connections), however when I added up all the costs an SDR-IQ was not much more! This also gave me the flexibility of attaching to other radios with different IF frequencies, and it's an actual HF receiver - I can just hook it up to an antenna!

      I have seen hacks to get it to work with PowerSDR by running Spectravue and VAC (which would KILL my PC), direct support would be much more elegant.

      Am I outta luck here?

      Thanks!

      Steve
      KV6O
    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
        Hi Steve,

        Interested in the comment of price not being much different!

        Just checked:

        SDR-IQ = $525 versus SoftRock v9.0 RX with Switched BPF (all HF band receiver) = $56

        That's over nine times more expensive!

        I suspect most people are using PSDR-IQ for the transmit capability with the SoftRock hardware, so would have thought it very unlikely that there would be much call for RX only with the SDR-IQ.

        I believe Winrad fully supports the SDR-IQ, and when finished probably Simon's SDR Console will do as well.

        73, Bob G8VOI
        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sdleander" <sleander@...> wrote:

        > I did a search on "SDR-IQ" (lots of hits obviously) and "RFSPACE" (zero hits), so hopefully I am not asking something that has been addressed many times already.
        >
        > I use a SDR-IQ receiver by RFSPACE - wonderful device that works great as a IF Panadaptor for my K3. I went this route rather than a softrock + LP-PAN + soundcard to mainly simplify (less boxes, wires, connections), however when I added up all the costs an SDR-IQ was not much more! This also gave me the flexibility of attaching to other radios with different IF frequencies, and it's an actual HF receiver - I can just hook it up to an antenna!
        >
        > I have seen hacks to get it to work with PowerSDR by running Spectravue and VAC (which would KILL my PC), direct support would be much more elegant.
        >
        > Am I outta luck here?
        >
        > Thanks!
        >
        > Steve
        > KV6O

      • sdleander
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 2, 2010
          The solutions I was looking at involved the LP-PAN or a Z1000 buffer and a SoftRock + a good sound card. It was several hundred dollars at least, and yes, the SDR-IQ was more ($499 at HRO) but offered me more options for the future.

          The question still remains!

          Thanks!

          Steve
          KV6O

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 3, 2010
            Hi Steve,

            I agree, SDR-IQ as a Rx-only is a decent piece of equipment for its price.

            This PSDR modification on the other hand, is targeted for the homebrew (I/Q-QSD/QSE) stuff and TRx operation on them like softrocks/avalas/uhfsdrs/etc.
            Actually that was what the developer had in the shack at the time :-)
            Later on, the control of some receivers got also included like 995x and PMSDR but that came because again either they were in the shack or it was easy to do so.

            Although there is a documented way to have access on RF-Space's SDR-14/IQ, there are difficulties and someone has to spend a large amount of time and effort for the integration into another SDR application. More or less, these kind of 'effort investments' are backed by the commercial company to an extend, but in this situation here in this PSDR moficication that has not happened yet.

            So since this plain ham developer does not have access to such a commercial piece of equipment I guess you understand that the SDR-14/IQ integration will not be a first priority.

            As Bob said, Simon's newly formed company is more inclined, or could even say dedicated to RFSpace so you could check it out.

            I understand that these might not be the news you wanted to hear but speaking for myself, although I would like to have the joy and pride of this service to the fellow hams like you, I cannot go into it alone at the time being.