Signal display on Tx

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26 2:31 PM
      Hi Christos et al...

      Something I never figured out on PSDR is if the signal display on transmit can be moved up/down the screen.

      I see the "base" of the signal, and that's on any mode. If the signal could be moved down it would look better. Not a critical thing to do, but would be nice... is it possible to do this..?

      73s,
      Rob
      (M0RZF)
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 26 2:50 PM
        Rob,

        I'm not sure what exactly you refer to..

        There are many display modes panadapter/waterfall/etc and I dont clearly understand what you want to do or what your symptom is.

        Anyway check your screen scaling (if that is relevant)
        Setup->Display->Spectrum Grid settings
        mine are
        Max: -10
        Min: -145
        Step: 10
        Align: Auto
        and of course your system needs to be calibrated for accurate level reading.

        --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robbrown@...> wrote:

        > Hi Christos et al...
        >
        > Something I never figured out on PSDR is if the signal display on transmit can be moved up/down the screen.
        >
        > I see the "base" of the signal, and that's on any mode. If the signal could be moved down it would look better. Not a critical thing to do, but would be nice... is it possible to do this..?
        >
        > 73s,
        > Rob
        > (M0RZF)

      • Rob
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27 1:28 AM
          Hi Christos,

          It's easier to show than describe... I put a screen grab in the photos section under my callsign. In the panadapter, when I transmit, it shows the signal way off the top of the display. That picture shows the signal being transmitted on WSPR.

          I can't find any way to move the signal down. On Rx it's OK, as the spectrum grid settings can move it about. On Tx I can't find any way to move the signal display up/down. A trivial point maybe, but I'm curious to see how to change that setting.

          73s,
          Rob

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 27 1:46 AM
            Hi Rob,

            Well, it seems I got it right then at first.

            In your screendump, the panadapter scale is hidden/covered so I cannot see what is the actual high/low on the left.

            Anyway, place the settings I indicate in my previous post and your situation will improve (if you did the level calibration).

            The Setup->Display->Spectrum Grid->Max is actually the upper dBm position of your screen so your setting now must be quite low eg ~-40 or something, change it to a larger value eg -10 or 0.
            As I said you need to have it calibrated though otherwise the Rx will be way different than the Tx reading. If you set the aforementioned min, max for an un-calibrated reading, then your tx will be way off the chart.

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 28 3:12 AM
              Hi Christos,

              It's my preference to have the Grid>Max set to -30dB. Signals never go above that level off my antenna, even from Radio China! I think the Tx display has been set for people who have big antennas. My system was calibrated off a -6dBm source ages ago. I can live with a big gap at the top of the receive display.

              Anyway it's a relatively minor point. The panadaptor on transmit only shows what the computer puts into the soundcard, not what's really going out of the antenna.

              73's
              Rob.