Fatal Error when PSDR v2 loads...

  • sdrcrazed
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 13, 2010
      I've been running 1.18.3 with SR hardware. Last week I installed 1.19.3.15. Everything looked good... for a while. I'm now getting a
      "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error every time I run PSDR v2. So I un-installed, deleted the directory with the DB and reinstalled it. The error persists. So I fell back to 1.18.3 which works fine.

      Here's a link to a gif of the error; http://trunct.com/images/gallery/PSDR_Fatal_Error.gif
      If the link is not allowed and removed, I'll post the image in the files section.

      I had installed Winrad just before the error appeared. I can't say for sure that it was related to the Winrad installation, but that's the sequence of events.

      Anyone have advice on getting v2 to run again?
    • Alan
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 13, 2010
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2010
          Perfect! That's the information I've been looking for. I couldn't seem to find it in any search, although one result alluded to having to delete the database file. But I couldn't find it on the computer.

          "note this is an alpha release"...
          Understood, I needed to figure out how to get it working again, just the same.

          Thanks, Ed

          > >I've been running 1.18.3 with SR hardware. Last week I installed
          > >1.19.3.15. Everything looked good... for a while. I'm now getting a
          > "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error
          >

          > > > As posted several times by Christos "If PSDR will not start
          > > > reinstallation
          > > > does not work! "You have to find and delete the database.xml settings
          > > > file
          > > > which it does not reside in the installation folder. The database.xml
          > > > file
          > > > resides for XP in C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application
          > > > Data\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3 and for Vista in C:\Users\<user
          > > > name>\AppData\Roaming\FlexRadio Systems\PowerSDR v1.19.3" Christos
          > > >

          > I get similar messages, note this is an alpha release.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • g8voip
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2010
            Hi Ed,

            Despite the FlexRadio core software being an evaluation version, fundamentally it does actually work exceptionally well.

            Whilst I have had it crash on a number of occasions, usually when changing controls or configuration, once up and running it works fine.

            Today I have had v1.19.3.14 running continuously for over 11 hours with my v6.3 TX/RX transmitting a WSPR beacon on 17m.

            It perhaps sounds like either a configuration problem or some other software issue causing the problems both you and Alan are seeing.

            Do you have the net 3.5 software installed on your PC which it needs?
            Likewise, not sure what the effect is of not having at least the default skin installed before installing the main program.

            73, Bob G8VOI
            --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sdrcrazed" <kt6f@...> wrote:

            > Perfect! That's the information I've been looking for. I couldn't seem to find it in any search, although one result alluded to having to delete the database file. But I couldn't find it on the computer.
            >
            > "note this is an alpha release"...
            > Understood, I needed to figure out how to get it working again, just the same.
            >
            > Thanks, Ed

          • sdrcrazed
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2010
              Hi Bob,

              When I first installed without the default skin, the interface was basically flat with few if any of the graphic elements such as buttons. There was a message that appeared telling me to install the default skin. I did so and everything looked good until that error appeared a couple days later. I also upgraded .NET to 3.5 with SP1. Right now it's working good. I must say that this is a great product. I would however like to see a display mode with a fixed spectrum and a movable VFO pointer though, just the opposite of how it works now.

              Ed

              --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@...> wrote:

              > Hi Ed,
              >
              > Despite the FlexRadio core software being an evaluation version, fundamentally it does actually work exceptionally well.
              >
              > Whilst I have had it crash on a number of occasions, usually when changing controls or configuration, once up and running it works fine.
              >
              > Today I have had v1.19.3.14 running continuously for over 11 hours with my v6.3 TX/RX transmitting a WSPR beacon on 17m.
              >
              > It perhaps sounds like either a configuration problem or some other software issue causing the problems both you and Alan are seeing.
              >
              > Do you have the net 3.5 software installed on your PC which it needs?
              > Likewise, not sure what the effect is of not having at least the default skin installed before installing the main program.
              >
              > 73, Bob G8VOI
              > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sdrcrazed" <kt6f@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Perfect! That's the information I've been looking for. I couldn't seem to find it in any search, although one result alluded to having to delete the database file. But I couldn't find it on the computer.
              > >
              > > "note this is an alpha release"...
              > > Understood, I needed to figure out how to get it working again, just the same.
              > >
              > > Thanks, Ed

            • g8voip
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2010
                Hi Ed,

                Glad to here you have it running ok now.

                The type of display you are talking about is really due to result the SDR receiver is using a fixed local oscillator frequency, therefore it cannot move and all 'tuning' is done by the PC software.

                In PSDR, when operating in the SDR-1000 mode, or mode Si570 mode, there are advantages, particularly both for the auto image rejection functions and more so for transmit if the LO frequency is moved to track the tuning. The system uses a pseudo IF frequency of 9kHz as an intermediate stage. That means on receive, and spike or noise around the centre point is offset away from where you are actually listening.

                I have not tried recently, but in earlier versions of PSDR, either the official FlexRadio releases of Guido PE1NNZ's PSDR v1.90 sr40 you could set them to 'SoftRock' mode which allowed you to operate with a fixed frequency LO and that gave you the type of display you appear to want. You could try using that mode, but I suspect you might soon miss the ability to use the more flexible tuning mode unless you only want one section of the band, otherwise in effect you are using it much like Rocky operates.

                73, Bob G8VOI

                --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sdrcrazed" <kt6f@...> wrote:

                > Hi Bob,
                >
                > When I first installed without the default skin, the interface was basically flat with few if any of the graphic elements such as buttons. There was a message that appeared telling me to install the default skin. I did so and everything looked good until that error appeared a couple days later. I also upgraded .NET to 3.5 with SP1. Right now it's working good. I must say that this is a great product. I would however like to see a display mode with a fixed spectrum and a movable VFO pointer though, just the opposite of how it works now.
                >
                > Ed
                >
                > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "g8voip" <g8voi.reeves59@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hi Ed,
                > >
                > > Despite the FlexRadio core software being an evaluation version, fundamentally it does actually work exceptionally well.
                > >
                > > Whilst I have had it crash on a number of occasions, usually when changing controls or configuration, once up and running it works fine.
                > >
                > > Today I have had v1.19.3.14 running continuously for over 11 hours with my v6.3 TX/RX transmitting a WSPR beacon on 17m.
                > >
                > > It perhaps sounds like either a configuration problem or some other software issue causing the problems both you and Alan are seeing.
                > >
                > > Do you have the net 3.5 software installed on your PC which it needs?
                > > Likewise, not sure what the effect is of not having at least the default skin installed before installing the main program.
                > >
                > > 73, Bob G8VOI
                > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "sdrcrazed" <kt6f@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Perfect! That's the information I've been looking for. I couldn't seem to find it in any search, although one result alluded to having to delete the database file. But I couldn't find it on the computer.
                > > >
                > > > "note this is an alpha release"...
                > > > Understood, I needed to figure out how to get it working again, just the same.
                > > >
                > > > Thanks, Ed

              • Alan
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 15, 2010
                    I started a new topic about with more details about the display mode here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/1167 . There's a link there that illustrates what I'm trying to describe.

                    I would like the software to operate/display such that the red line that represents the current frequency could be dragged (or clicked) to any other frequency on the waterfall (or panadapter) display which remains stationary rather than the other way around. The current spectrum would necessarily be zoomed all the way out to fit the entire 96k [or 48k] segment from lowest to highest frequency within the viewing window. This display mode could be activated with an additional button next to the zoom buttons.