Setting up PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.05 with Softrock Lite RX

  • hopperdhh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 11, 2008
      Hi all,

      Here is some information on using the Softrock Lite + Xtall v8.3 receiver
      with PowerSDR-IQ.

      It was very easy to enable the serial port to send frequency data to my DDS
      VFO with PowerSDR-IQ v1.12.05. This VFO is home built using a 68HC11 and the
      NorCal FCC-2 VFO board. The HC11 program was modified to receive the serial
      data and put the frequency in one of its 10 memories. Now my AM
      transmitter, a Globe King 500B, is automatically on the same frequency as the PowerSDR
      receiver.

      To enable the serial frequency data go to Setup, General, Hardware Config,
      and find the Serial area at the right side. Set to COM1, check VFO, and
      select "f". The serial port sends ASCII f followed by 9 ASCII numbers as in
      Guido's (PE1NNZ) "How to Setup a SoftRock RXTXv6.x with PowerSDR-sr40." This data
      is sent whenever the received frequency is changed.

      I unchecked the RX Only box as though I were using an RXTX, and ground
      parallel port pin 11 (/PTT) to mute the receiver during transmit. Some delay when
      switching from transmit to receive can be set by going to Setup, DSP, Keyer,
      and enabling Breakin with a delay of about 100 mS. This was necessary in my
      case to prevent a short squeal when going back to receive.

      The Lite + Xtall v8.3 receiver can be used with PowerSDR-IQ with only one
      simple modification to the receiver. By using an 8 pin socket for the DIP
      switch, the switch can be removed, and the socket used to connect to the
      computer's parallel port. The PIC is also removed from its socket, and two FETS are
      inserted into the socket (or to a header) to buffer the SCK and SDA lines
      from the computer to the Si570. I used VN10KMs.

      Thanks Christos for a very handy way to set up the serial port.

      Dan K9WEK

      Holiday needs. Search Now.
      -aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)