467Re: basic audio routing in PDSR-IQ 1.12.20

  • Christos Nikolaou
    Jun 2, 2009
      Hi Mike,

      PSDR is using the PortAudio library which is pretty adequate IMHO.
      The problem lies in the many vendors and variations of drivers even though they are ASIO. Multi/Single Channel, Multi/Single Streaming, audio enhancements, Mixing applets etc are all different from one vendor to another.
      So I guess that is why Flex just took a couple of the best and put them in the supported list. Otherwise it had to re-iterate again and again through all audio vendors. You understand that this is quite time and resource consuming.
      Beyond that, there is MicroSoft, whereas with the XP to Vista transition changed so many things, and now with W7 it will change again...
      With all these in mind, and knowing that our hobby is not pure audio, I think that Flex did a decent job up to now and also did the proper move to integrate the ADC and DAC (after all this is what we need) into the rig.
      HPSDR did that long time ago.

      If you still want to endeavour into that, you can dig into

      -> http://kc.flex-radio.com/KnowledgebaseCategory66.aspx

      whereas you can have a look at PSDR development but bear in mind that you will be alone to this. It uses VS2003 and nowadays an undergoing effort is being done to port it to VS2008.

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, Mike Kemp <ct1jzq@...> wrote:

      > Hi Christos
      >
      > It seems a shame to throw out all the audio interfaces I have (since I
      > develop audio software and hardware products and do pro recording I have a
      > good selection).
      >
      > All these devices expose all their audio ports with standard ASIO drivers.
      > Is PSDR open source? Maybe I could look at writing some sort of interface to
      > allow any audio interface to connect to PSDR? I am not sure I am familiar
      > with the development environment of PSDR, I mostly use C++. It seems that
      > all PSDR lacks is a simple selection of the 4 audio connections needed:
      > audio into PSDR, IQ from PSDR to hardware TX, hardware IQ RX to PSDR, and
      > audio out of PSDR. OTOH it may be too big a task given other commitments,
      > but at least it would be worth looking at... What do you think?
      >
      > Thanks, Mike CT1JZQ
      >
      > 2009/5/31 Christos Nikolaou <sv1eia@...>
      >

      > > Hi Mike,
      > >
      > > Although these are decent audio cards, they are not in the supported list.
      > > In the supported list, cards are being utilized with all their ports
      > > whereas in 'unsupported' that is not so easy or not-possible at all.
      > >
      > > And talking in this class of audio cards, if you had the FA-66 your life
      > > would be much easier with PSDR.

      > > --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com <powersdr-iq%40yahoogroups.com>,
      > > "ct1jzq" <ct1jzq@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi, I've spent a lot of time on this, with no real luck, so I wonder if
      > > someone has the obvious solution that I'm missing.
      > > >
      > > > I have been trying to get my Softrock TXRX6.3 up and running, using a
      > > choice of high spec digital audio FireWire interfaces I have available, all
      > > 192k capable. I also have a built-in soundmax card limited to 48k on my XP
      > > machine.
      > > >
      > > > I started off trying to route as follows
      > > >
      > > > mic->soundmax->PSDR
      > > > PSDR->pro-audio out(96k)->TXRX
      > > > TXRX->pro-audio in(96k)->PSDR
      > > > PSDR->soundmax->speakers
      > > >
      > > > I got this almost to work using the proaudio ASIO driver, though PSDR
      > > only seems to see channels 1+2 of the proaudio i/o. I used VAC to send the
      > > audio to the soundmax, and to pick up the mic and route it back to PSDR.
      > > >
      > > > This almost works, except I noticed that I had a lot of noise on the
      > > panadapter clustered around the DC, with a bandwidth matching the decoded
      > > audio bandwidth. I discovered this is because PSDR is outputting decoded
      > > audio to the pro-audio channels 1+2 which are therefore going to the TXRX
      > > and generating the noise. With very quiet bands it also generates peculiar
      > > echoes as it goes round and round the system.
      > > >
      > > > I am not confident that the mic audio is getting coded properly, as it
      > > sounds like there is base band audio on the drive to the TXRX when I put
      > > PSDR into transmit (I expected to hear SSB offset by the IF).
      > > >
      > > > The other problem with using VAC is that the decoded audio is very
      > > delayed (~1 sec), despite reasonably short (default length) buffers.

> [...]
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic