466Re: [powersdr-iq] Re: basic audio routing in PDSR-IQ 1.12.20

  • Mike Kemp
    Jun 2, 2009
      Hi Christos

      It seems a shame to throw out all the audio interfaces I have (since I develop audio software and hardware products and do pro recording I have a good selection).

      All these devices expose all their audio ports with standard ASIO drivers. Is PSDR open source? Maybe I could look at writing some sort of interface to allow any audio interface to connect to PSDR? I am not sure I am familiar with the development environment of PSDR, I mostly use C++. It seems that all PSDR lacks is a simple selection of the 4 audio connections needed: audio into PSDR, IQ from PSDR to hardware TX, hardware IQ RX to PSDR, and audio out of PSDR. OTOH it may be too big a task given other commitments, but at least it would be worth looking at... What do you think?

      Thanks, Mike CT1JZQ

      2009/5/31 Christos Nikolaou <sv1eia@...>

      Hi Mike,

      Although these are decent audio cards, they are not in the supported list.
      In the supported list, cards are being utilized with all their ports whereas in 'unsupported' that is not so easy or not-possible at all.

      And talking in this class of audio cards, if you had the FA-66 your life would be much easier with PSDR.

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "ct1jzq" <ct1jzq@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I've spent a lot of time on this, with no real luck, so I wonder if someone has the obvious solution that I'm missing.
      >
      > I have been trying to get my Softrock TXRX6.3 up and running, using a choice of high spec digital audio FireWire interfaces I have available, all 192k capable. I also have a built-in soundmax card limited to 48k on my XP machine.
      >
      > I started off trying to route as follows
      >
      > mic->soundmax->PSDR
      > PSDR->pro-audio out(96k)->TXRX
      > TXRX->pro-audio in(96k)->PSDR
      > PSDR->soundmax->speakers
      >
      > I got this almost to work using the proaudio ASIO driver, though PSDR only seems to see channels 1+2 of the proaudio i/o. I used VAC to send the audio to the soundmax, and to pick up the mic and route it back to PSDR.
      >
      > This almost works, except I noticed that I had a lot of noise on the panadapter clustered around the DC, with a bandwidth matching the decoded audio bandwidth. I discovered this is because PSDR is outputting decoded audio to the pro-audio channels 1+2 which are therefore going to the TXRX and generating the noise. With very quiet bands it also generates peculiar echoes as it goes round and round the system.
      >
      > I am not confident that the mic audio is getting coded properly, as it sounds like there is base band audio on the drive to the TXRX when I put PSDR into transmit (I expected to hear SSB offset by the IF).
      >
      > The other problem with using VAC is that the decoded audio is very delayed (~1 sec), despite reasonably short (default length) buffers.
      >
      > I couldn't find a way to stop PSDR sending decoded audio back to the TXRX.
      >
      > I decided to try using all i/o on the pro-audio device as follows:
      >
      > mic->pro-audio mic in(96k->PSDR
      > PSDR->pro-audio out 1+2 (96k)->TXRX
      > TXRX->pro-audio in(96k)->PSDR
      > PSDR->pro-audio out 9+10 (96k)->speakers
      >
      > I can still only get PSDR to use one pair of inputs and outputs from the audio card. The only audio out goes back to the TXRX. I can't pick up the mic input at all. For receiver only use that's okay of course and this gives much lower delay as expected. (But I want to get TX to work of course).
      >
      > It seems a fairly basic requirement to route either of the two setups above, does anyone know how can I make PSDR do this?
      >
      > Many thanks, Mike CT1JZQ.
      >
      > These are the pro-audio boxes I tried, both pretty much the same. They come with fully up to date ASIO drivers of course, and all channels are available to my pro-audio software:
      > 1. Focusrite Saffire FireWire pro-audio interface.
      > 2. RME Fireface800 FireWire pro-audio interface.

    • Show all 6 messages in this topic