321Re: I need an "Elmer"! For setting up PowerSDR woth Soundblaster Live 24 and SR V 9

  • Christos Nikolaou
    Feb 19, 2009
      Hi Paul,

      I guess that you refer to the tests from this post
      -> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/311
      as being succesfull and that is a very good sign.

      That means you have completed the cabling and connections and now you
      have setup the hardware part having 4 BPFs for Rx and 4 PAs for Tx
      (still needing some LPF for each Tx band)
      Also you have connected the Si570 control.

      For the LO (Si570) you can have a test by using a frequency counter.
      When you powerup the board and start PowerSDR-IQ having all control
      connections in place and checked the HSUSB checkbox, you can measure
      on Si570 output the generated signal. It has to be 4 times the
      frequency of the VFO A and to follow all frequency changes.
      So if you dial 10MHz in VFO A, you have to see 40MHz in your frequency
      counter device. If all are ok and the frequency is changing by dialing
      in the VFO A, there has to be a difference in the 4xLO and the Si570
      frequency readout. That is due to the IF used (9KHz) and the clock
      calibration required. Both of these can be checked later.
      The critical part is to see Si570 frequency changes with VFO A change.

      Now the next step if all these are performing properly is the audio
      setup.

      Although I could guide you step by step up to here, the specific audio
      card is not in my shack so I have to be a bit generic here.

      First we will try to setup the card as simple as it can be with
      minimum frame rate and maximum buffer sizes.

      That should be done from Setup->Audio page.
      In there you have to select the driver, MME is a generic one from MS
      and can be used, but your card might have a dedicated ASIO driver or
      something specific.

      Input is the Line-In in general whereas from this port your rig will
      send IQ Rx to PowerSDR.
      Output is the Line-Out and this will be used to send IQ Tx to your rig.
      Left and right channel might need manual switch of the ring-tip
      connection in order to have proper LSB/USB orientation in both Rx/Tx
      Line-In/Line-Out.

      Receive is the audio output, speakers or headphones that will be used
      for you to listen the produced demodulated audio.
      And Transmit is the microphone input that will be utilized for voice
      Tx SSB/AM/FM.

      So, Input and Output are dealing with the IQ on the rig, whereas
      Transmit and Receive are for the normal audio Rx and Tx.
      Usually this is something that new users are mixing up.

      Next you should set the sample rate to the minimum 48000 and buffers
      to maximum 2048 so the system will not be stressed initially. If these
      work then we can gradually increase them to have larger portion of
      bandwidth displayed with larger sample rate and more real time
      responsiveness with less buffer size.

      If this works then you should be able to hear a noise/sound on your
      speakers.

      As I have not prior setup this card, lets see how it goes up to here.

      Sciencehttps://email.winona.edu/owa/?ae=PreFormAction&t=IPM.Note&a=Reply&id=RgAAAAB%2bRJvFvfMNTq6c9InAyA8gBwAXrlWyOgtiQI9qR2mOAzwCAAAAWiWQAADdUMlyzHOtR6pWKjMRlOn1AADcmqprAAAJ#

      HSUSB
      > configured yet
      > Stop.