2879Re: [powersdr-iq] Re: PowerSDR-IQ and Ensemble II RX

  • Richard Mogford
    Sep 30, 2013
      Hi

      Thanks for the information.  The second link below does not seem to work.

      How does one buy the USB2SDR?  I have emailed the creator of the card with no results so far.

      Richard
      On Sep 29, 2013, at 5:57 PM, ericwd9 wrote:

      The USB2SDR will sample at 192 KHz as supplied: See
      http://www.wb5rvz.com/usb2sdr/index.htm
      An upgrade will give still better dynamic range: See
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/files/USB2SDR%20HPADC%20/USB2SDR_AK5394A.pdf

      At this time a neat high performance "sound card" designed for
      SDR with a supporting version of PSDR-IQ that gives far more
      usability options (ie separate TX levels for each band.
      I found using the MoBo 3.4 160-10m in a transceiver a trouble free
      setup with all functions available via the GUI. Only the FA-66
      worked as well but was bigger and needed a firewire interface.
      I spent more than $2,000 on "sound cards" and have had most of them.
      specifically for PSDR-IQ the USB2SDR was the best of all. Apart
      from very good performance the support in PSDR-IQ for USB2SDR is
      an order of magnitude better in the version designed for the USB2SDR.
      On top of all that; the I2c control capability for the SoftRock series
      using the Sis570 is a great advantage. It has been my experience that
      the use of more than one connection between the SDR and the PC will
      almost always result in increased noise artifacts induced by loops
      in the connection infrastructure picking up QRM from the PC and
      attached peripherals. Some of this QRM can be wide band noise which
      looks for all the world like band noise but is simply An induced rise in the noise floor. The use of a single connection to the PC will
      almost always help or eliminate this problem

      Without Prejudice. 73 Eric VK5ZAG.

      --- In powersdr-iq@yahoogroups.com, "Marciniak, Ed" <elmarciniak@...> wrote:

      > Most of the problems with using two sound cards come from a failure to plan on having all channels running from a common clock or the software problems that result. Firewire '400' doesn't run exactly at 400 mbits a second but it does run at a multiple of 48000 Hz...specifically it runs at 8192x48KHz(393.216 MHz). It is possible to derive a common clock for all ports on firewire card, although I couldn't tell you which cards do implement that when they're "master" timing sources. USB devices running at 12 or 480 MHz have the disadvantage of not being able to share a common clock source unless you are using using an spdif clock source. For various reasons that is almost never a feasible topology. USB has the added disadvantage that the 12MHz clock tends to leak into the (usually inferior) ADC as either a DC offset or an alias at some other frequency depending on sample rate (notable exception are the TI chips that uses 250x instead of 250x division).
      >

      > There are Intel HD audio codecs that also decimate by 250 instead of 256 from a base clock of 24MHz. They tend to suffer from a lack of high end ADC chips and/or high noise pickup from being on a motherboard next to very high speed clocks.
      >

      > There is a reason the delta 44, FA-66 and firebox are also popular solution. They provide enough channels and just work. The creative emu-1212m would need additional channels via spdif plus mic preamp and headphone amp for a transceiver but makes has excellent ADCs. The creative emu-1820m is excellent but pricey (mine delivers something like 20.5 bits at 192KHz and 21.5 bits at 192 KHz at 48KHz). It has built in mic and headphone amps. The ADCS in the creative emu-1xxxm series are some of the best available and are even better than those in the above mentioned. For me the 1820m just worked with no special configuration required. I chose it for the 192KHz ADCs.
      >

      > The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).
      >

      > While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).
      >

      > In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.
      >

      > 73,
      > Ed
      > NB0M

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic