2873Re: [powersdr-iq] Re: PowerSDR-IQ and Ensemble II RX

  • Marciniak, Ed
    Sep 28, 2013
      Most of the problems with using two sound cards come from a failure to plan on having all channels running from a common clock or the software problems that result. Firewire '400' doesn't run exactly at 400 mbits a second but it does run at a multiple of 48000 Hz...specifically it runs at 8192x48KHz(393.216 MHz). It is possible to derive a common clock for all ports on firewire card, although I couldn't tell you which cards do implement that when they're "master" timing sources. USB devices running at 12 or 480 MHz have the disadvantage of not being able to share a common clock source unless you are using using an spdif clock source. For various reasons that is almost never a feasible topology. USB has the added disadvantage that the 12MHz clock tends to leak into the (usually inferior) ADC as either a DC offset or an alias at some other frequency depending on sample rate (notable exception are the TI chips that uses 250x instead of 250x division).

      There are Intel HD audio codecs that also decimate by 250 instead of 256 from a base clock of 24MHz. They tend to suffer from a lack of high end ADC chips and/or high noise pickup from being on a motherboard next to very high speed clocks.

      There is a reason the delta 44, FA-66 and firebox are also popular solution. They provide enough channels and just work. The creative emu-1212m would need additional channels via spdif plus mic preamp and headphone amp for a transceiver but makes has excellent ADCs. The creative emu-1820m is excellent but pricey (mine delivers something like 20.5 bits at 192KHz and 21.5 bits at 192 KHz at 48KHz). It has built in mic and headphone amps. The ADCS in the creative emu-1xxxm series are some of the best available and are even better than those in the above mentioned. For me the 1820m just worked with no special configuration required. I chose it for the 192KHz ADCs.

      The USB2SDR does look like a great solution but I haven't personally used one (at the time the lack of onboard 192KHz ADCs was a deal killer for me even though there was a planned add on).

      While it is theoretically possible to use two different sound cards as sources in ASIO4ALL, I wouldn't recommend it because you probably wouldn't end up there if your clock sources were well planned out. You'll also find that you can't open ASIO sources from two vendors at the same time (I tried that with my 1212m card and the built in pc sound...didn't work).

      In summary, take a hard look at what you're thinking about using before you deviate from something supported or purpose built like the USB2SDR. You'll probably be money ahead in the long run and save weeks/months worth of messing around.

      73,
      Ed
      NB0M