Re: [ppro-b] Nothing on startup

  • bruce_mccormick
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
      I will have to get some form of IM runing again, but for now I don't
      have it set up! In the meantime I checked the system tray, item by
      item, and there is nothing to be found there. I do have all displayed.
      I will have to try a completely clean boot and see if it solves the
      problem, then check for compatibility problems, which will take some
      time. There isn't a list of known compatibility issues out there that
      you might know of, is there?

    • davidt.pproyg@datmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
        >I will have to get some form of IM runing again, but for now I don't
        > have it set up! In the meantime I checked the system tray, item by
        > item, and there is nothing to be found there. I do have all displayed.
        > I will have to try a completely clean boot and see if it solves the
        > problem, then check for compatibility problems, which will take some
        > time. There isn't a list of known compatibility issues out there that
        > you might know of, is there?

        There isn't any compatibility problems....powerpro is pretty rock solid. You
        probably just have either the bar off-screen, or the bar has been un-shown.

        You can also try opening the pproconf.exe (file in the program folder) if
        you want to get into the default configuration file, which is probably what
        powerpro is running if you didn't do anything special on setup.

        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
        Do you have the right computer stuff? http://tinyurl.com/ytu7z
        Funstuff: Does MicroSoft mean Small and Limp?
      • Bruce E. McCormick
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
          Is there a configuration file you can direct me to that I canto stick a bar in the middle of my screen? There's just got to be a simple fix, and I really want to have some of the abilities this will give me!

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 1, 2004
            > Is there a configuration file you can direct me to that I canto stick a
            > bar
            > in the middle of my screen? There's just got to be a simple fix, and I
            > really want to have some of the abilities this will give me!

            Executing these two commands will show the default bar in the default.pcf
            file, if it's just hidden, or off-screen.

            Start Menu | run

            c:\pathtopowerpro\powerpro.exe bar show Bar
            c:\pathtopowerpro\powerpro.exe window position 0 0 0 0 Bar

            David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
            Using Outlook Express and want some color? http://tinyurl.com/39goy
            Funstuff: * I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather...Not screaming
            and yelling like the passengers in his car.
          • bruce_mccormick
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
              I am running into errors on each that start with "Cannot access
              configuration file e:\program files\powerpro\" and in the first
              command go on with "bar show Bar.pcf", in the second command "window
              position 0 0 0 Bar.pcf"

              I checked the program diectory (e:\program files\powerpro) and find no
              "Bar.pcf", though perhaps 5 to 10 other .pcf files. Might we be on the
              right trail?

              Also I wondered if it might be wise to try a previous release,
              something that dates back a year or so, if the above is not screaming
              the path to the problem-

              And most importantly, Thank-you for taking the time to help me.

              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                >I am running into errors on each that start with "Cannot access
                > configuration file e:\program files\powerpro\" and in the first
                > command go on with "bar show Bar.pcf", in the second command "window
                > position 0 0 0 Bar.pcf"

                Look at the command again:

                >> c:\pathtopowerpro\powerpro.exe bar show Bar
                >> c:\pathtopowerpro\powerpro.exe window position 0 0 0 0 Bar

                no ".pcf" on the end
                And 4 "0 0 0 0"

                David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                Perfect your cut/copy/paste techniques. http://tinyurl.com/2kmet
                Funstuff: * The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
              • bruce_mccormick
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                  Really I DID run them right!...

                  The first one, though no .pcf was entered in the run line, .pcf did
                  apear in the error statement; I verified by reviewing the run line
                  comand that is stored and running it again. In the second item, I just
                  did not type in the fourth ")" here, but it was present in the run line.

                  And now...
                  I removed the program, deleted the directory, then shut down every
                  single unnecessary process. It installed correctly, the bar showed up,
                  the sys tray icon was there, and a configuration routine ran that I
                  never saw before. Of course when I rebooted and all processes engaged,
                  once again all I got was the mouse key reminders and nothing else. I
                  think we have a conflict somewhere, that or a poltergeist...("They're
                  baaaaack"). Yuch. I HATE tracing down these things.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                    The problem is a conflict with one (or more) of the following three
                    programs:
                    RFAgent: the Registry First Aid resident program
                    1A: Stardock Tray Monitor
                    ATI LaunchPad

                    For now I have blown too much time just finding this out and as I
                    don't think I need any of the three I will leave it be, but I will try
                    to find which one (hopefully) in the next couple days and report back
                    with the hope it helps-

                    --- In powerpro-beginners@yahoogroups.com, davidt.pproyg@d... wrote:
                    > >I am running into errors on each that start with "Cannot access
                    > > configuration file e:\program files\powerpro\" and in the first
                    > > command go on with "bar show Bar.pcf", in the second command "window
                    > > position 0 0 0 Bar.pcf"
                    >
                    > Look at the command again:
                    >
                    > >> c:\pathtopowerpro\powerpro.exe bar show Bar
                    > >> c:\pathtopowerpro\powerpro.exe window position 0 0 0 0 Bar
                    >
                    > no ".pcf" on the end
                    > And 4 "0 0 0 0"
                    >
                    > David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                    > Perfect your cut/copy/paste techniques. http://tinyurl.com/2kmet
                    > Funstuff: * The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.
                  • Tammy Rizzo
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                      I have RFA installed and running, and my PowerPro runs just fine, so that
                      seems to lessen the chances that your RFA is causing conflicts with your
                      PowerPro. Of course, it doesn't rule it out completely . . . my system is
                      similar to yours (XP, RFA, PP, etc), but of course not identical. But it's
                      probably not RFA.

                      ***
                      Tammy Rizzo
                      ms-tamany@...

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                        > Really I DID run them right!...
                        >
                        > The first one, though no .pcf was entered in the run line, .pcf did
                        > apear in the error statement; I verified by reviewing the run line
                        > comand that is stored and running it again. In the second item, I just
                        > did not type in the fourth ")" here, but it was present in
                        > the run line.

                        I'm sure stardock is a high probability, it does a lot of binding to window
                        objects, must be bumping heads.

                        I'm still not sure why you were getting .pcf in the error, something unique
                        on your system with how commands execute?

                        Let us know,
                        David Troesch | Atlanta, GA | ICQ# 2333123
                        Those who would give up their liberty for security deserve neither.
                        Funstuff: A husband is a man who gave up privileges he never knew he had.
                      • Alan Martin
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 2, 2004
                          I think the answer is very simple.
                          The reason that you see no PowerPro bars is that powerpro.exe
                          is not running. How do I know that? David asked you to send
                          PowerPro a command via the command line:
                          c:\pathtopowerpro\powerpro.exe bar show Bar
                          then PowerPro.exe complained that "bar show bar.pcf" could not
                          be found.

                          PowerPro.exe accepts two different knds of parameter on its
                          command line:

                          [A] when PowerPro is running you can put one of PP's internal
                          commands after the powerpro.exe and it will execute that command.

                          [B] when PowerPro is NOT running, you can put the name of a .pcf
                          file after the powerpro.exe and it will startup using the pcf file
                          you specified instead of running the usual default pcf file.
                          Thus: powerpro.exe myconfig
                          will start PowerPro with myconfig.pcf as the config.
                          If myconfig.pcf does not exist it shows you an error message
                          like the one you received.

                          So the message you received indicates PP is not running. Thus no bar.

                          If you want PowerPro to start when Windows starts, or when you
                          log off and on again, or reboot, you need to have a link (shortcut)
                          to c:\folder\powerpro\powerpro.exe in your Startup folder in the
                          Start Menu folder. (Edit that path to your actual powerpro folder)

                          If you prefer to start it manually, have a shortcut to powerpro.exe
                          on the desktop or in the Start Menu and remember to double click
                          that shortcut to start PowerPro -- or you won't see any bars of
                          course :-)

                          Alan Martin