Re: PowerPro on Windows 7 (64-bit)

  • thricipio
    Message 1 of 13 , May 21, 2012
      I did a re-install of PPro, which was probably needless. Also, I turned UAC off and now screen bumps are working fine. And yes, Hide/SaveIcons is non-functioning.

      I'm guessing you're either not running Win/64-bit, or the things that require dll upgrades aren't ones that you personally use that much.

      But, just guessing.

      Anyway, thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and thanks for upgrading the context menu function dll.

      All the best,
      --Thri

      --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@...> wrote:

      > Screen bumps work for me regardless of whether screen icons are showing (I am assuming you are using regular aero desktop and win 7 look -- it may not work in other circumstances).
      >
      > You should make sure you are testing with only PPro running in case it is interference from other programs.
      >
      > > Also, [Save desktop icons] and [Restore desktop icons] doesn't work.
      >

      > Yes, these are broken and won't be fixed. In general, there are features that involved reverse engineering and hacking into Windows data structures, which are broken in PowerPro running 64 bit windows. Hide/Save icons is one, interacting with other programs tray icons is another. Task bar position is one as well. Fixing these would require a 64 bit version of ppro.dll.
      >
      > Task bar bars would also require a 64 bit upgrade to a different dll.
      >
      > However, the context menu function dll has been upgraded to 64 bits and so this still works.
      >
      > Most of the other broken things are due to the increased security of Win 7, eg *mouse and key recording.
      >
      > No plans for future fixes or changes, so if there is no fix described in the help, I am afraid that you won't be able to use that feature in win7.

    • thricipio
      Message 2 of 13 , May 21, 2012
        I did a re-install of PPro, which was probably needless. Also, I turned UAC off and now screen bumps are working fine. And yes, Hide/SaveIcons is non-functioning.

        I'm guessing you're either not running Win/64-bit, or the things that require dll upgrades aren't ones that you personally use that much.

        But, just guessing.

        Anyway, thanks for getting back to me so quickly, and thanks for upgrading the context menu function dll.

        All the best,
        --Thri

        --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@...> wrote:

        > Screen bumps work for me regardless of whether screen icons are showing (I am assuming you are using regular aero desktop and win 7 look -- it may not work in other circumstances).
        >
        > You should make sure you are testing with only PPro running in case it is interference from other programs.
        >
        > > Also, [Save desktop icons] and [Restore desktop icons] doesn't work.
        >

        > Yes, these are broken and won't be fixed. In general, there are features that involved reverse engineering and hacking into Windows data structures, which are broken in PowerPro running 64 bit windows. Hide/Save icons is one, interacting with other programs tray icons is another. Task bar position is one as well. Fixing these would require a 64 bit version of ppro.dll.
        >
        > Task bar bars would also require a 64 bit upgrade to a different dll.
        >
        > However, the context menu function dll has been upgraded to 64 bits and so this still works.
        >
        > Most of the other broken things are due to the increased security of Win 7, eg *mouse and key recording.
        >
        > No plans for future fixes or changes, so if there is no fix described in the help, I am afraid that you won't be able to use that feature in win7.

      • brucexs
        Message 3 of 13 , May 22, 2012
          >or the things that require dll upgrades aren't ones that you personally >use that much.

          Bingo!
        • thricipio
          Message 4 of 13 , May 22, 2012
            It's been awhile since I've won at Bingo! ;-)

            On a related matter, I've discovered another phunky phenomenon — this one regarding PPro Notes: when I click on R to roll up/down, it seems to behave like H; i.e., it hides the note. Playing around with it again, just now, it actually worked correctly a couple times, then reverted to its new quirky behavior: R behaves like H and hides the note.

            Any solution to this one?

            Thanks...
            -Thri

            --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@...> wrote:

            > >or the things that require dll upgrades aren't ones that you personally >use that much.
            >

            > Bingo!

          • thricipio
            Message 5 of 13 , May 22, 2012
              More info on this . . .

              The R works correctly... it's just not where the "R" is. It's to the right, in the left-most section of the title area. If I click there, the note rolls up/down.

              I think it might have something to do with the resolution of my screen? Maybe not. I tried changing the note font, but that doesn't seem to work.

              Any thoughts?

              Thanks,
              —Thri

              --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "thricipio" <thricipio@...> wrote:

              > It's been awhile since I've won at Bingo! ;-)
              >
              > On a related matter, I've discovered another phunky phenomenon — this one regarding PPro Notes: when I click on R to roll up/down, it seems to behave like H; i.e., it hides the note. Playing around with it again, just now, it actually worked correctly a couple times, then reverted to its new quirky behavior: R behaves like H and hides the note.
              >
              > Any solution to this one?
              >
              > Thanks...
              > -Thri
              >

              > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@> wrote:
              > >
              > > >or the things that require dll upgrades aren't ones that you personally >use that much.
              > >

              > > Bingo!

            • brucexs
              Message 6 of 13 , May 23, 2012
                I had a quick look at the code but it was not clear what could make this fail. Possibly changing the system caption height might affect it, but I am not sure.

                I understand from your note that the R is drawn in the correct spot, but the click is not recognized unless you click more towards the centre of the note.

                What if you do not show the H by using the setting on configure|setup|advanced|notes (drop down in top right)?

                If the R is important to you, you could try programming a left mouse click which only fired if the target window had c=powerpronote. Then program an if that checks to make sure the left mouse button is over the R by calculating the R position based on the window coordinates of the note. You'll have to tailor to your font size and screen resolution.

                I am not sure if the left click hot key could break drag to move note, in which case you'd have to use a different mouse button. If you don't care about mouse button, you could simply use mouse 4 (say) and not bother with the if.

                You'd need to use note.roll("under") as the command run to rollup the note, not window roll.

                --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "thricipio" <thricipio@...> wrote:

                > More info on this . . .
                >
                > The R works correctly... it's just not where the "R" is. It's to the right, in the left-most section of the title area. If I click there, the note rolls up/down.
                >
                > I think it might have something to do with the resolution of my screen? Maybe not. I tried changing the note font, but that doesn't seem to work.
                >
                > Any thoughts?
                >
                > Thanks,
                > —Thri
                >
                > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "thricipio" <thricipio@> wrote:
                > >

                > > It's been awhile since I've won at Bingo! ;-)
                > >
                > > On a related matter, I've discovered another phunky phenomenon — this one regarding PPro Notes: when I click on R to roll up/down, it seems to behave like H; i.e., it hides the note. Playing around with it again, just now, it actually worked correctly a couple times, then reverted to its new quirky behavior: R behaves like H and hides the note.
                > >
                > > Any solution to this one?
                > >
                > > Thanks...
                > > -Thri

                > > > Bingo!

              • brucexs
                Message 7 of 13 , May 23, 2012
                  I should say that I tried this on my win7 machine and there were no issues -- clicking right on the R worked.

                  I am using standard win 7 fonts, tehme, and caption sizes, although I do have large screen and high resolution (1920 x 1080)

                  --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@...> wrote:

                  > I had a quick look at the code but it was not clear what could make this fail. Possibly changing the system caption height might affect it, but I am not sure.
                  >
                  > I understand from your note that the R is drawn in the correct spot, but the click is not recognized unless you click more towards the centre of the note.
                  >
                  > What if you do not show the H by using the setting on configure|setup|advanced|notes (drop down in top right)?
                  >
                  > If the R is important to you, you could try programming a left mouse click which only fired if the target window had c=powerpronote. Then program an if that checks to make sure the left mouse button is over the R by calculating the R position based on the window coordinates of the note. You'll have to tailor to your font size and screen resolution.
                  >
                  > I am not sure if the left click hot key could break drag to move note, in which case you'd have to use a different mouse button. If you don't care about mouse button, you could simply use mouse 4 (say) and not bother with the if.
                  >
                  > You'd need to use note.roll("under") as the command run to rollup the note, not window roll.
                  >

                  > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "thricipio" <thricipio@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > More info on this . . .
                  > >
                  > > The R works correctly... it's just not where the "R" is. It's to the right, in the left-most section of the title area. If I click there, the note rolls up/down.
                  > >
                  > > I think it might have something to do with the resolution of my screen? Maybe not. I tried changing the note font, but that doesn't seem to work.
                  > >
                  > > Any thoughts?
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > —Thri
                  > >
                  > > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "thricipio" <thricipio@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > It's been awhile since I've won at Bingo! ;-)
                  > > >
                  > > > On a related matter, I've discovered another phunky phenomenon — this one regarding PPro Notes: when I click on R to roll up/down, it seems to behave like H; i.e., it hides the note. Playing around with it again, just now, it actually worked correctly a couple times, then reverted to its new quirky behavior: R behaves like H and hides the note.
                  > > >
                  > > > Any solution to this one?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks...
                  > > > -Thri

                • phkiefer
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 23, 2012
                    I've had the same problem for ages (at least since Win XP). Not sure what causes it (and have been too lazy to seriously check), but setting "R only" in the drop down menu makes it much more bearable. (I never use "H" anyway.) With "H and R", the fuzziness of the buttons is rather extreme.

                    Here is some code I use for middle clicks over the A, R, and X boxes:

                    ;; PPro notes: Select all & copy over 'A' box
                    if(win.class(win.handlefrompoint(xmouse,ymouse))=="PowerProNote" and xmouse le win.left(win.mainhandlefrompoint(xmouse,ymouse))+18)do
                    clip.set(note.getText(Win.MainHandleFromPoint(xmouse,ymouse)))
                    wait.for(10)
                    local NoteClipHistName = slice(clip.get, 64)
                    NoteClipHistName[?"[^a-zA-Z0-9äöüß _()&-]"] = "_"
                    clip.tofile(?$f:\Users\Philster\Documents\PowerPro\Clip\$++NoteClipHistName++".txt",0)
                    wait.for(10)
                    clip.capture("on", "refresh")
                    quit
                    endif

                    ;; PPro notes: Select all, copy & delete note over 'R' box
                    if(win.class(win.handlefrompoint(xmouse,ymouse))=="PowerProNote" and xmouse le win.left(win.mainhandlefrompoint(xmouse,ymouse))+34 and xmouse gt win.left(win.mainhandlefrompoint(xmouse,ymouse))+18)do
                    clip.set(note.getText(Win.MainHandleFromPoint(xmouse,ymouse)))
                    wait.for(10)
                    local NoteClipHistName = slice(clip.get, 64)
                    NoteClipHistName[?"[^a-zA-Z0-9äöüß _()&-]"] = "_"
                    clip.tofile(?$f:\Users\Philster\Documents\PowerPro\Clip\$++NoteClipHistName++".txt",0)
                    wait.for(10)
                    clip.capture("on", "refresh")
                    note.delete(Win.MainHandleFromPoint(xmouse,ymouse))
                    quit
                    endif

                    ;; PPro notes: Delete note over 'X' box
                    if(win.class(win.handlefrompoint(xmouse,ymouse))=="PowerProNote" and xmouse ge win.right(win.mainhandlefrompoint(xmouse,ymouse))-18)do
                    note.delete(Win.MainHandleFromPoint(xmouse,ymouse))
                    quit
                    endif

                    Phil

                    --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@...> wrote:

                    > I should say that I tried this on my win7 machine and there were no issues -- clicking right on the R worked.
                    >
                    > I am using standard win 7 fonts, tehme, and caption sizes, although I do have large screen and high resolution (1920 x 1080)
                    >
                    > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I had a quick look at the code but it was not clear what could make this fail. Possibly changing the system caption height might affect it, but I am not sure.
                    > >
                    > > I understand from your note that the R is drawn in the correct spot, but the click is not recognized unless you click more towards the centre of the note.
                    > >
                    > > What if you do not show the H by using the setting on configure|setup|advanced|notes (drop down in top right)?
                    > >
                    > > If the R is important to you, you could try programming a left mouse click which only fired if the target window had c=powerpronote. Then program an if that checks to make sure the left mouse button is over the R by calculating the R position based on the window coordinates of the note. You'll have to tailor to your font size and screen resolution.
                    > >
                    > > I am not sure if the left click hot key could break drag to move note, in which case you'd have to use a different mouse button. If you don't care about mouse button, you could simply use mouse 4 (say) and not bother with the if.
                    > >
                    > > You'd need to use note.roll("under") as the command run to rollup the note, not window roll.
                    > >

                    > > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "thricipio" <thricipio@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > More info on this . . .
                    > > >
                    > > > The R works correctly... it's just not where the "R" is. It's to the right, in the left-most section of the title area. If I click there, the note rolls up/down.
                    > > >
                    > > > I think it might have something to do with the resolution of my screen? Maybe not. I tried changing the note font, but that doesn't seem to work.
                    > > >
                    > > > Any thoughts?
                    > > >
                    > > > Thanks,
                    > > > —Thri

                  • phkiefer
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 25, 2012
                      I'm pretty sure now this is caused by Windows font scaling (the DPI you can set via right-clicking on the desktop). I set mine to 125% back when I still used XP and I think the note boxes have been imprecise since then.