Make windows open on screen where the mouse is?

  • matsxsvensson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2012
      The way windows STILL 2012 allows programs to open their windows far far far outside any visible part of the desktop, is driving me nuts.

      Is there any way to use ppro to always force all opening windows right back onto the same screen where the mouse-pointer actually is?

      That would probably give me the equivalence of one more year to live, counting all the time i would save over my lifetime.

      Especially now when Win7 has made it even more of a pain in the arse to fiddle the windows around with that insanely clumsy shift+arrowkey+mouse trick.

      I know there is a checkmark for "Move activated window" that is supposed to make sure windows are visible, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

      Im talking about something more brute force, like detecting everything that opens a window, and negotiate it with a shotgun over to the visible screen, without ever taking no for an answer.
    • brucexs
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2012
        Possible create an "open" (also called autorun) command list (command lists|setup|special lists tab) which matches all windows (with *) and does something like
        win.move("autorun", xmouse-50, ymouse-50)

        You can vary the 50 and the * as needed. e.g instead of * use a ~xxx type caption list to exclude certain windows.

        Not all windows will necessary respond to PowerPro's request. t may help to insert a wait.for(500) in the command, if you don't mind the resulting extra move.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15, 2012
          I tried to implement this in p8 (grey check force new windows on screen in gui tab).

          It does not work for 64 bit apps at all.

          It works sometimes for 32 bit apps.

          I am going to try to play with this a bit more and try to make it more reliable and possibly work for 64 bit apps.

          Unfortunately, no way to restrict to certain apps or exclude certain apps at present. If I can get it working, I may add this.

          --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <brucexs@...> wrote:

          > Possible create an "open" (also called autorun) command list (command lists|setup|special lists tab) which matches all windows (with *) and does something like
          > win.move("autorun", xmouse-50, ymouse-50)
          >

          > You can vary the 50 and the * as needed. e.g instead of * use a ~xxx type caption list to exclude certain windows.
          >
          > Not all windows will necessary respond to PowerPro's request. t may help to insert a wait.for(500) in the command, if you don't mind the resulting extra move.
          >

          > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "matsxsvensson" <matsxsvensson@> wrote:
          > >
          > > The way windows STILL 2012 allows programs to open their windows far far far outside any visible part of the desktop, is driving me nuts.
          > >
          > > Is there any way to use ppro to always force all opening windows right back onto the same screen where the mouse-pointer actually is?
          > >
          > > That would probably give me the equivalence of one more year to live, counting all the time i would save over my lifetime.
          > >
          > > Especially now when Win7 has made it even more of a pain in the arse to fiddle the windows around with that insanely clumsy shift+arrowkey+mouse trick.
          > >
          > > I know there is a checkmark for "Move activated window" that is supposed to make sure windows are visible, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
          > >
          > > Im talking about something more brute force, like detecting everything that opens a window, and negotiate it with a shotgun over to the visible screen, without ever taking no for an answer.

        • brother.gabriel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 15, 2012
            Bruce, other programs have this problem too - DisplayFusion, for instance, which tries to bind multiple monitors together. It can't seem to place some windows at all, and others it gets mixed up. I think the whole matter is a difficult one.