Re: "Invalid command *exec Explorer" when i click bar-item on a network drive

  • matsxsvensson
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2012
      Update:

      (I finally managed to get back inside Yahoo's group-system.)

      Anyway...

      I ended up using menus instead of toolbars.
      They work better and look nicer too.

      I have a load of folders where i put shortcuts, and then i reference those folders in a comma separated list, in the "Edit hot key/Mouse action"-window.

      Tapping one of the extra buttons on my mouse pops up the whole huge menu-thing containing shortcuts to everything i need.

      This is great since i have many screens, and now i have everything where the pointer is and not parked on any specific monitor that might be turned off.

      Its not exactly easy to maintain, but it works.

      However i have noticed ONE strange thing:
      The first time i pop open the menu-monster after a reboot, it takes a VERY long time to open.

      It seems to render partially, then freeze, then some more then freeze again, until all is done.
      It also makes other things running hang while its drawing the menu.

      The cpu-load doesn't seem to be very high when this happens, and getting a SSD didn't speed it up either.

      Oddly, for awhile it came up instantly after a reboot, then after a week or so it was back to slow again.

      I have no idea what i did to make it fast, or to make it slow again.

      Is there anything i can do to make it fast permanently?
    • brucexs
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2012
        I would guess it relates to Windows reconnecting to the network drives and the files you use in the menu, but I don't really know much about networking and Windows.

        PowerPro would be fetching the icons for all the entries in the menu when it first opens. You could test whether this is the reason by turning off icons for the menu and seeing if it makes a difference.

        If it does, you might be able to cache some of the icons on your local drive or find some way to to access the files to initialize as part of reboot (e.g. a PowerPro script to open and close the files, or just to a menu show as part of start up, assuming you go have a coffee when Windows boots, as I do).