Restore Desktop Icons Not Working on Windows 7 64 bit

  • faterson2001
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
      Hello,

      Is this a known issue? The "Save desktop icons" and "Restore desktop icons" buttons used to work perfectly for me in PowerPro on Windows XP. But they don't work at all on Windows 7 64 bit. :-((( For me this will mean I will need to stop using desktop icons altogether -- an empty desktop space without any icons is less pain for me than seeing the icons all messed up every time I switch the desktop between monitors with varying screen resolutions.

      Is there any way to get the 2 buttons working? When I press the "Save desktop icons" button, I can see that the file pproconf.pcf gets modified. But pushing the "Restore desktop icons" button does nothing. I installed PowerPro into its own directory on a different drive (not C:\) to make sure Windows wouldn't block it in any way. But apparently, it still does. Of course, I also had to disable the damn-awful UAC completely, because it would pop up that annoying confirmation window every time I ran PowerPro configuration or PowerPro itself, despite having set "Run as Admin" privileges for both of them on the Compatibility tab. (In fact, PowerPro wouldn't load on Windows startup at all, until I disabled UAC completely.)

      Thank you for any help,
      Alex
    • brucexs
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
        Sorry, this one is broken permanently: it is not compatible with 64 bit explorer, I believe.

        --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "faterson2001" <ask@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > Is this a known issue? The "Save desktop icons" and "Restore desktop icons" buttons used to work perfectly for me in PowerPro on Windows XP. But they don't work at all on Windows 7 64 bit. :-((( For me this will mean I will need to stop using desktop icons altogether -- an empty desktop space without any icons is less pain for me than seeing the icons all messed up every time I switch the desktop between monitors with varying screen resolutions.
        >
        > Is there any way to get the 2 buttons working? When I press the "Save desktop icons" button, I can see that the file pproconf.pcf gets modified. But pushing the "Restore desktop icons" button does nothing. I installed PowerPro into its own directory on a different drive (not C:\) to make sure Windows wouldn't block it in any way. But apparently, it still does. Of course, I also had to disable the damn-awful UAC completely, because it would pop up that annoying confirmation window every time I ran PowerPro configuration or PowerPro itself, despite having set "Run as Admin" privileges for both of them on the Compatibility tab. (In fact, PowerPro wouldn't load on Windows startup at all, until I disabled UAC completely.)
        >
        > Thank you for any help,
        > Alex

      • budfoot
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
          I ran into the same problem. Give a try to Desksave
          http://www.desksave.de/ <http://www.desksave.de/> Freeware that does
          the job.

        • ask@avenarius.sk
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
            On Wednesday, 3rd August 2011 at 17:41:50 (GMT), budfoot wrote:

            > I ran into the same problem. Give a try to Desksave http://www.desksave.de
            > Freeware that does the job.

            Many thanks! Excellent freeware solution that extends the functionality previously offered by PowerPro.

            --
            Alex
          • DanDaBear
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 3, 2011
              On 8/3/2011 5:40 AM, faterson2001 wrote:
              > Hello,
              >
              > Is this a known issue? The "Save desktop icons" and "Restore desktop icons" buttons used to work perfectly for me in PowerPro on Windows XP. But they don't work at all on Windows 7 64 bit. :-((( For me this will mean I will need to stop using desktop icons altogether -- an empty desktop space without any icons is less pain for me than seeing the icons all messed up every time I switch the desktop between monitors with varying screen resolutions.
              >
              > Is there any way to get the 2 buttons working? When I press the "Save desktop icons" button, I can see that the file pproconf.pcf gets modified. But pushing the "Restore desktop icons" button does nothing. I installed PowerPro into its own directory on a different drive (not C:\) to make sure Windows wouldn't block it in any way. But apparently, it still does. Of course, I also had to disable the damn-awful UAC completely, because it would pop up that annoying confirmation window every time I ran PowerPro configuration or PowerPro itself, despite having set "Run as Admin" privileges for both of them on the Compatibility tab. (In fact, PowerPro wouldn't load on Windows startup at all, until I disabled UAC completely.)
              >
              > Thank you for any help,
              > Alex

              I use Stardock Fences.
              http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/downloads.asp