Re: com 0.63 090627

  • Sheri
    Message 1 of 34 , Jul 1, 2009
      --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "swzoh" <seanzoh@...> wrote:

      > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "Sheri" <sherip99@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Ctfmon.exe is not exclusively part of Office XP (Office XP is
      > > partly the subject of the link). It is run by the operating
      > > system for the text services and the language bar. These services
      > > are needed if you use Asian fonts.
      >
      > FYI, ctfmon.exe is disabled in my system. No problem to use Asian
      > characters. It'll just disable some (supposed) advanced text
      > services.

      I can disable it in the Regional/Language Control Panel applet, but the checkbox says:

      > Turn off advanced text services: Select this checkbox to turn off
      > advanced text services in all programs. Not recommended for East
      > Asian users because this closes the language bar.

      So disables the IME. Isn't that needed by most Asian users?

      Actually this MSDN article suggests that even more than the checkbox is required to completely disable it:

      http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

      Just was searching for a possible explanation why Alan and Bruce seem to be able to run the plugin scripts without the same issues as the rest of us.

      Regards,
      Sheri
    • entropyreduction
      Message 34 of 34 , Jul 1, 2009
        --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "brucexs" <bswitzer@...> wrote:

        > --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "entropyreduction" <alancampbelllists+yahoo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > At the moment, design is: thread is launched, and waits on event.
        > >
        > > When there's something to do (aka a com service to perform), main thread sets up some stuff (mainly a pointer to a object that knows how to do that service), sets the event that gets the worker thread out of its wait, and then itself waits on another event.
        >
        > Can every thread wait be a multi-event wait, where one of the events is always "die now" and which is set by the main thread.

        There's only ever one worker thread. It has nothing to wait for except the signal from main thread to run. It does that and then waits again.

        > Could try the com clean up when die now received.

        That's how it's meant to work. Some of the com cleanup is same as com.release_all and has to therefore be done on worker thread that created and stored handles to com objects in first place.

        > My main in file just polls a global nThreads which threads increment when they start and decrement when they die. It would be cleaner to wait on all the outstanding thread handles, but I did not want to keep track of each handle from each file.runwait.

        Yeah, saw that. Since in my case it's just one thread, I can just wait on that thread's handle.