Activate a command when a text is highlighted

  • pjagaraj.rm
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
      Is there a way to automatically show a menu or bar when text is
      highlighted? I may want to get the meaning of the word or search in
      google or launch browser with the highlighted url, etc.
    • Sheri
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
        --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "pjagaraj.rm" <pjagaraj@...> wrote:

        > Is there a way to automatically show a menu or bar when text is
        > highlighted? I may want to get the meaning of the word or search in
        > google or launch browser with the highlighted url, etc.

        In order to actually do something as a consequence of just
        highlighting text you would need to get notifications that
        highlighting has occurred. You could probably do that in a dialog
        created with the dialog plugin. But more than likely you want to use
        highlight you make in various program windows that are not under your
        control.

        You could show a menu or bar in the normal way (e.g., with a hotkey or
        as the command of a button or menu item). Then use commands or a
        script to clear the clipboard, then send Ctrl+C to the window of
        interest (which would copy highlighted text if any to the clipboard).
        Then test clip.get and use it however you wish.

        Or, you could press Ctrl+C yourself and show a menu whenever the
        clipboard changes. ClipCaptured command list is run as a script
        whenever the clipboard changes, but must first be enabled from the GUI
        Control tab in the pcf configuration.

        Regards,
        Sheri
      • dleidinger
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2008
          --- In power-pro@yahoogroups.com, "pjagaraj.rm" <pjagaraj@...> wrote:

          > Is there a way to automatically show a menu or bar when text is
          > highlighted? I may want to get the meaning of the word or search in
          > google or launch browser with the highlighted url, etc.

          Have a look to here: