Re: [poultry] NEIGHBORS

  • John & Kim King
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 25, 1998
      Thankyou all for your support:
      About zoning, I am the animal inspector and I know that there is nothing he
      can do about it and so does he. He has a very nice wife and three strange
      children. He is just a huge pain to me and to others in the neighborhood.
      About giving him eggs he says that he doesn't like fresh eggs that they
      taste too strong??????
      Ah well his loss

      Thanks again

      John

    • Naola Thimesch
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 25, 1998
        John,

        I now realize that wherever you go, you will always have that one neighbor
        who is a major pain in the _ _ _. If it were me, I'd keep all the roosters
        and let the crowing commence just to irritate him. But that's me, you see.

        Otherwise, I would choose to ignore him. If he comes over again, I would
        say something to the effect of "dogs bark, cows moo, horses whinnie, birds
        sing, cats meow, and roosters crow. I can't help it and I can't do anything
        about it. We just happen to have a rooster for a pet just like some people
        have some of the previously mentioned animals for pets. They all make
        noise, just like you, when they open their mouth. So be so kind as to leave
        my property and keep your complaints to yourself."

        That's my two cents worth.

        Naola

        =======

        >I had to share a very unpleasant experience with people who understand. My
        >family lives in a very nice little New England town, on the common. My
        >neighbors mainly bring their children to my house to see our chickens,
        >listen to the rooster, chat about gardening. Marvel at amercana eggs,
        >blah blah blah. Yesterday while my 4, 2, 1,year old children and my
        >neighbors 1.5 yearold were playing in the yard my ignorant neighbor who
        >refuses to ever leash his dog comes over to rant and rave about my
        >daughters pets. We have 4 roosters, one adult and 3 who have just started
        >to crow. I told him that roosters crow that is what they do and that 3 of
        >them are for sale he offered to buy them and squish them right then and
        >there in front of the kids. This sent my daughter over the edge and I
        >can't belive what a jerk this guy is. Any ideas on how to deal with this
        >guy?? My other abutters either have never said nothing about the birds ,
        >or have said how much they like the birds.
        >What I have done is :
        >My adult rooster goes in a box every night to help keep him quiet.
        >The babies have just started crowing in the last few weeks, and they go in
        >a coop every night. We also have given away 5 roosters already.
        >
        >Any suggestions would be helpful.
        >

        >One last question is how old does a Silkie rooster have to be to father
        chicks?

        >When my neighbor realized that We were still going to have one rooster the
        >look on his face was priceless.
        >
        >John
        >( who hopes that everyone else has nicer neighbors than me.)

      • Ernest & Joan Hagler
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 25, 1998
          When you are cursed with a neighbor like that you can only hope he moves. In
          the meantime, you have to quiet your birds or get rid of the roosters. Your
          neighbor is a jerk and you are in a no win situation. I would have been
          inclined to pull him aside and ask that he not "go off" in front of the
          kids - but, not being there, I might not have either. I'd keep my distance
          from him so as not to exacerbate the situation. Good luck
          >I had to share a very unpleasant experience with people who understand. My
          >family lives in a very nice little New England town, on the common. My
          >neighbors mainly bring their children to my house to see our chickens,
          >listen to the rooster, chat about gardening. Marvel at amercana eggs,
          >blah blah blah. Yesterday while my 4, 2, 1,year old children and my
          >neighbors 1.5 yearold were playing in the yard my ignorant neighbor who
          >refuses to ever leash his dog comes over to rant and rave about my
          >daughters pets. We have 4 roosters, one adult and 3 who have just started
          >to crow. I told him that roosters crow that is what they do and that 3 of
          >them are for sale he offered to buy them and squish them right then and
          >there in front of the kids. This sent my daughter over the edge and I
          >can't belive what a jerk this guy is. Any ideas on how to deal with this
          >guy?? My other abutters either have never said nothing about the birds ,
          >or have said how much they like the birds.
          >What I have done is :
          >My adult rooster goes in a box every night to help keep him quiet.
          >The babies have just started crowing in the last few weeks, and they go in
          >a coop every night. We also have given away 5 roosters already.
          >
          >Any suggestions would be helpful.
          >

          >One last question is how old does a Silkie rooster have to be to father
          chicks?

          >When my neighbor realized that We were still going to have one rooster the
          >look on his face was priceless.
          >
          >John
          >( who hopes that everyone else has nicer neighbors than me.)

          >FREE group e-mail lists at http://www.findmail.com

        • Gary Tiller
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 25, 1998
            John,
            sorry to hear the trouble you have with the next door. I would buy him
            a pair of ear plugs and if he don't want to take them , then tell him that
            he has no right to complain, because you are trying to do something about
            it. Good luck !!! Alice

          • Bookredr@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 28, 1998
              You might try making friends with the idiot - give him some eggs - let him
              benefit from the relationship. It may not work, but you get more bees with
              honey. All of my neighbors are very interested in my chickens, although they
              are not so very enthused about all the cats I have (they keep the mice and
              rats down, saving my feed).

            • Bookredr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 28, 1998
                Sorry, didn't get to the note about the idiot not liking fresh eggs before I
                sent my last reply. If you can't do anything about him, I would definitely
                secure my chickens from violence. He may strive to get rid of them when
                you're unprotected. I would go so far as to lock them up with a padlock
                (combination so you don't have to fool with a key), and you can get a motion
                detector type alarm at Walmart or Kmart that can be mounted above the level of
                cats, dogs, and other short to medium height animals...... costs about $20-$30
                but may prevent your daughter from having to suffer throught the chickens
                being killed. He doesn't sound balanced to me......