oxygen for better combustion

  • froot_loops_52501
    Message 1 of 67 , Sep 9, 2000
      i have always been a fan of pneumatic guns, but
      being out at college, its kind of hard to lug the
      compressor around where ever im at and even harder to find
      an outlet in a remote location, so i decided to make
      a combustion gun that would do just as good so i
      would have something portable; that, and all my friends
      had combustion guns. i constructed it out of 4" pipe,
      16" long with a detachable 2" barrel or 1.5" barrel.
      my friends all use ether, but that didnt satisfy me
      enough so i used propane. i found that that worked good
      for me. a few weeks ago, my friend says "dude, you
      gotta try some oxygen. it works so much better." so he
      brings his potato gun over to my apartment and gives me
      a little demo. he let the oxygen in from one of
      those bernz-o-matic torches and sprayed a little ether
      in it. it was really loud and the potato didnt leave
      the barrel in one piece. the kick knocked him back
      too. so i had to out do him so i obtained the valves
      from a bernz-o-matic torch and attached the oxygen and
      propane tanks to my gun, with tubing that goes directly
      into the gun. i removed the barrel and went outside to
      dry fire it for ratio experements. i let the oxygen
      flow in for a while, then the propane. i sparked it
      and it had a lot of flame. dissapointed, i tried
      again, this time i used very little oxygen and about
      enough propane to turn it a 1/4 turn and shut it off
      right away. i sparked that and it was so loud! i fell
      back in amazement. i tried again, this time doubling
      the amount of propane i used. i set the combustion
      chamber on the ground and sparked it. i saw a huge heat
      wave come out and the sonic boom knocked me back on
      the ground flat on my ass! i could feel the air rush
      past my head! my ears hurt pretty bad after that one.
      i was so amazed! i decided to try it again with the
      barrel on and shoot a potato. i filled it up the same
      and shot it. i dont know what happened. i had it at a
      45 degree angle and fired the gun, but i didnt see
      the potato at all. i assume it went pretty far. that,
      or the potato completly vaporized in the barrel. it
      was so loud! i havn't had a chance to fire it since
      and that was about a week ago, so more news to come
      on that later this week. also, my friend that told
      me about oxygen blew up his gun. he said he used a
      little too much oxygen. he showed me the two remaining
      pieces of all he could find. i suggest if your going to
      set up something powerful like this, you reinforce
      the chamber, and wear hearing protection--my ears
      hurt for a couple of days.
    • ghostchild97
      Message 67 of 67 , Feb 10, 2006
        How can I get plans for one of these?