shoulder shooter????

  • Festiva Guy
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
      Is building a shoulder shooter "bazooka" safe???......My only concern is having the barrel explode and messing up someone's face. also if a shoulder shooter is not an unsafe project to build what diameter is best.would PVC hold up or if I'm using it next to my head should I go with steel pipe????

      Thanks in advance

      Adam M :)

    • joshthebetterbuilder
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 19, 2006
        --- In potatogunnersanonymous@yahoogroups.com, "Festiva Guy"
        <festivaguy@...> wrote:

        > Is building a shoulder shooter "bazooka" safe???......My only
        concern is having the barrel explode and messing up someone's face.
        also if a shoulder shooter is not an unsafe project to build what
        diameter is best.would PVC hold up or if I'm using it next to my
        head should I go with steel pipe????

        > Thanks in advance
        >
        > Adam M :)

        I made one that has a rough range of 200 yds. I shoulder launched it
        for accuracy and ground launched it when I was going for range. PVC
        is not safe for this though. Instead, use sch. 40 ABS pipe. Its the
        black drain pipe and you'll see SCH 40 600PSI on the side. Thats
        right, its rated at 600 PSI!. Anyway, I used about a 18" piece of
        4"ABS and put a "clean out" on the back. Its designed to allow you
        to open up a pipe by unscrewing a plug. on the barrel side, I
        reduced it to 1 1/2 ABS. and put on a 48" barrel. Use ABS Black
        cement on all joints and also use it to secure a BBQ ignitor in the
        4" section werever its comfortable. Whats happening is your forcing
        high pressure in the 4" combustion section through the smaller
        barrel. the result is an extremely fast potato Makes a loud crack
        like a gun, so whatch were you shoot it!

        I modeled it after the 5.56mm round the military uses, Its a large
        powder charge(the 4" section) and a small light bullet(1 1/2"
        barrel) I figured it was the best because your limited by the weight
        of a potatoe. best part is...it used the super cheap little potatoes
        instead of the large russets. Also because the velocity is so high,
        its very acurate. I can easly hit a milk jug at 20 yards. I've also
        shot peices of pipe filled with gravel weighing in at about 3
        pounds, I got it to go around 150 yards. This design approaches
        unsafe because the potatoes are going so fast they have the
        potential of breaking bones at close range. Be safe!