Re:

  • Alexander Holman
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 24, 2005
      --- sumdumcoo@a... wrote:
      > that's real cool and I like to no how you belt it only cause im
      loooking
      > for more fun things to try

      I think that one cost me a grand total of ~$40 including a bag of
      potatoes and spray paint. One piece of 4" and one piece of 2" (I had
      to buy the full lengths because they didn't sell partial lengths) one
      reducer fitting and one end cap. Don't forget the cement and make
      sure you get the proper type for ABS or PVC whichever type of pipe
      you use. I made the barrel on mine 42" which gives a volume of
      ~132in^3. Now to make sure you don't blow yourself up don't go over
      1.5x this volume for the combustion chamber. So --> 132in^3 * 1.5 =
      198in^3 to get the length for the combustion chamber take the volume
      198 and divide by the area (pi*r^2) ~12.5. So --> 198 / 12.5 =
      15.84. I think it would be ok to just round up to 16". Glue
      everthing all up and then put it down for a day or two to let the
      vapors go away. Without any thing to use for a starter I just
      drilled a 3/8" hole in the side and used one of those "electric
      match" things just stuck near the hole. Use a rough wood rasp to
      shape a nice bevel on the leadeing edge of the barrel so you can just
      ram the tater on there and shove it down with a broom handle. I used
      spray paint for propellant because the nozzle is small enough to
      cause good atomization to get that satisfying "boom".

      Alexander Holman