Estimating the height and speed

  • johncoolio
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 5, 2000
      Well I know the first time I shot a potatoe
      gun,it was my brothers.I know that it sounded like a
      shot gun and went at least 300 feet in the air and I
      know it had to be going at least 100mhp.Does anyone
      else have any awesome experiences with their potatoe
      gun that're really funny?Post them,I'd like to hear a
      few,I could use a few jokes.
    • PlayBall08
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 8, 2000
        My neighbor and i were out behind his house
        shoting a potato gun. I had the idea of shooting the
        potato's straight up in the air. it's actually pretty
        cool, they go hella high. We acually shot one and it
        got so high that we couldn't see it anymore and then
        we never saw it came down. It was kind of weird
        because all the other's came down within 25-50 feet of us
        and were easy to find after they hit. If you ever
        decide to shot a potato gun straight up, make sure your
        not standing over the barrel, the safest way is to
        kneel down beside it and ignite it, and also keep an
        eye on the potato's so that you don't get hit
      • ernesttownshend
        Message 3 of 23 , Apr 20, 2000
          How might I go about building one?
        • cdmaster1st
          Message 4 of 23 , Dec 29, 2000
            Building a spud gun is easy, all you need is some
            abs. (i like abs more because it don't shatter when it
            blows up, hit some pvc with a sledge hammer and then
            hit some abs, look at the difference) sch. 40 3 feet
            of 2" abs, a foot of 3" abs. get the couplers you
            need the endcap. you'll figure it out, and an ignitor
            design. i have found that bbq ignitors work the best.
            glue it all together with some abs glue (nasty stuff)
            and there you go, your first spud gun. put the spud
            in the gun about to the combustion chamber spray
            about 7-8 seconds of hairspray put the endcap on and
            ignite.<br><br>(spud guns arn't toys, please be safe, use common
            sense)<br><br>**I am not in anyway responsible for the use or
            construction of this device. Construction and use of this
            device is at own risk. I cannot be held responsible in
            any way, shape, or form. Making this implies that you
            understand this warning**
          • man_o_brass
            Message 5 of 23 , Jan 28, 2001
              I just finished my 7 foot beuty. It's an 1.5"
              combustion gun with a 3" chamberMy own special modifications
              include a pair of wooden handgrips, a shoulderpiece, and
              a flash suppressor. It's pretty mean. Still working
              the bugs out, so I don't know the max range, but it's
              over 200 yards. Just thought ya'll would like to know.
            • man_o_brass
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 4, 2001
                I posted a scale drawing of my gun if anyone
                actually cares. Also, I read the question about the
                largest spudgun barrel, and I've seen them made out of 4"
                pipe for shooting rolls of toilet paper. 2.5" pipe
                will shoot tennis balls. I recently designed a way for
                my 1.5" gun to shoot canister rounds of 20
                paintballs like a giant shotgun. It works great!
              • greenhough1
                Message 7 of 23 , Apr 12, 2001
                  Okay spudrokmk3, spill the beans, tell us about the D.I.S. Ingnitor and where we can get one can get one. How about the specs for your artillery<br>piece?
                • spudrokmk3
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 19, 2001
                    Ok Greenhough1-<br> Here you go. If you need more
                    information on the D.I.S. system go to my web site: SPUDROK'S
                    TECH PAGE
                    for yourself!<br> I have not yet developed a page for
                    the "test device" though it's in the making. I have
                    taken more photos of it and need to finish shooting the
                    roll (sorry I don't have a digital camera
                    are intended to be shot at night using "glow sticks"
                    as a nosecone. Shot out of the Test Device they have
                    been recorded to go 1000 yards!
                  • spudrokmk3
                    Message 9 of 23 , Apr 20, 2001
                    • spudrokmk3
                      Message 10 of 23 , May 10, 2001
                        Spudheads!<br> Here are some drawings on my Test
                        Device. This is just the first draft and no discriptions
                        have been done. If you have any questions on ANY of
                        the drawings E-MAIL ME! Spudrokmk3@...
                      • trucken_sharon_lee
                        Message 11 of 23 , Jun 8, 2001
                          Potatoe gun are out there, Powered buy butane? What else? I have air. Not looking for a canon
                        • sixmhz
                          Message 12 of 23 , Jun 12, 2001
                            anyone interested in an electronic ignition
                            system? i made one for my launcher cause it tends to blow
                            up and now i can trigger it from 50 ft<br> away. but
                            anyways, i bought like 30 of these high voltage
                            transformers on ebay and i'd like to git rid of em. BUT i'm
                            not putting them together<br> for ya's so i'll only
                            send yas the parts and plans.<br><br>email:
                            gamiller@...
                          • extremelyalien
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 30, 2001
                              Hello. I've just started a new website selling
                              potato guns. Please feel free to check it
                              ideas in the near future.<br><br>Chris
                            • cdmaster1st
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 30, 2001
                                Chris, I think that your idea for that site
                                selling the Spudguns is very good. However, I don't think
                                that you may be able to sell more if you higher an
                                actual webdesigner to do the site for you, and advertise
                                it on the 100's of search eng. out there. I myself
                                am very talented at this and have been doing it for
                                some years now..If you have any interest get back to
                                me..I will give to a decent price.
                              • cdmaster1st
                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 30, 2001
                                  OOPS made a typo in last message :)... I mean to
                                  say I think that you Should be able to sell more if
                                  you higher an actual designer to do the site
                                  :).....if not....at least do one of those things that
                                  submits your site to like the 100's of search engines.
                                • xtine27
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 17, 2001
                                    okay I'm brand new to this club, just bought me a spud gun todae and I can't seem to get it to work... I want to play with it but i can't what is going on.. possibly I'm missing a peice...
                                  • spudrokmk3
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 17, 2001
                                      Where did you buy the spudgun?? Check your fuel mixture. Harspray or propane works good.<br>SPUDROK<br><a href=Http://hometown.aol.com/spudrokmk3/index.html target=new>Http://hometown.aol.com/spudrokmk3/index.html</a>
                                    • extremelyalien
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 7, 2001
                                        I just added a guestbook to my site. Everyone
                                        please stop by and sign it. Please make sure to fill out
                                        where your from. Myself and a few other spudders are
                                        trying to have a potato gun gathering. We need to know
                                        where to have the
                                      • jb14x
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 13, 2001
                                          A problem you could be having might be that your
                                          not getting enough compretion behind the potatoe.
                                          Mine was not working at first and i did not know why
                                          but i later found out it was the compretion. But i
                                          built mine at home out of PVC pipe. I had no idea that
                                          you could actualy buy these things. Where did you buy
                                          it??
                                        • richard stermer
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 23, 2004
                                            how much and what type of fuel did you use to propel the SPUD?