Re: [postpoliosyndrome] Digest Number 524

  • sweetalgrl@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hi Marcia.
      My family has dealt with the PPS fairly well, all things considered.  Just took a while to get everyone on board. I'm not married any longer, but, he never had a problem accepting it. Of course, he never talked a lot about it.  I know he would be telling me WHY I shouldn't have fallen, before I was even off the floor.  Who gives a fig at that point!  I just wanted to get past the pain, and not be lectured.  After I broke my leg so bad I had to be in a wheel chair.  After the cast was off I 'd still sit in the chair once in a while if I felt weak.  My middle son definitely had a problem with that.  It took him a long time to accept I was getting weaker.  He was afraid I was not really trying, and giving up. "You have to try, Mom". Well, I WAS trying, and I never give up, but, have had to accept reality.   I fell at the stove last September, when my knee gave out, on my good leg, and pulled the pot of boiling pasta and water, with olive oil in it down on top of me...it was bad.  I was lucky that my oldest son was here to get me up and to the ER. It could have been worse, but, only got on the lower part of my body.  However, my 18 month old grandson was here.  He had just toddled out of the kitchen when it happened, for which I shall be forever grateful.  I told all my sons I can no longer watch their babies if I am here alone.  I can't have them hurt, or me be hurt and unable to get help, so they would have no one to care for them.  Or what could potentially happen if they were too close when I fall. I think they all realize  now that their mother just can't do all the things she once could. I have 7 steps to go up to get to the front door, so, right now, I'd have to say getting groceries into the house is one of the hardest things I do. That, and taking the trash can to the street. I sure could use help then!  If my neighbor sees me, she always comes over and grabs  my grocery bags, and I am very grateful for that.  Anyway...I seem to be rambling.  I hope your family comes to terms soon. I know how frustrating it can be.  Maybe you could go online and get all the info you can on PPS and send it to your husband, or print it out, and leave it where he can find it? You could underline all the things that pertain to you. Have you checked to see if there is a support group in your area?  Just as I joined one, we moved, and there isn't one here.  It's really nice to have someone who's been there, done that, to talk to.  or compare notes with.  Wish we could all get together, but, I realize we are very scattered.  Take care.  I have to go watch the snow falling in South Alabama(Dothan)-a very rare occurrence here.
      Your 4ever friend,
      ~Shar~
      In a message dated 2/27/2009 2:48:04 A.M. Central Standard Time, mrcrew@... writes:

      Thank you both for answering me. I would like to know how your families treat you?  My husband is in denial & feels I should not accept that the time very well may come I am in a wheel or power chair in a regular basis.  He will not read any of my post polio information, so he does not "think" with informed knowledge.  I belonged to a PPS Support group & almost every one I knew in the group ended up in a wheelchair of some sort. We have talked about moving & I realize I need to build with my coming & present needs considered.  He gets so upset & I don't NEED his lack of  believing, understanding or support.  It is hard enough to deal with daily let alone feel like I am the only one that feels like I do.

      Thanks, Marcia Crew

      DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1235693940; bh=LVZuJ32ZJcKaawAh0ddS7D0pc3V3Wq5JpErqHLh1NFU=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:MIME-Version:Message-ID:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:From:To:Subject:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Reply-To:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=V3KRpVZixa5hnaNkg3a2BZRh+jYI8+w4eM2wvp3nM8tffjfd/OM9QQTtqalJP23Ftvc1TBHIaiEYLzQo/gHK+Xpho7rbe4POCg8XAdUU0r9+4JsiblptoZxM4dfLqy0A
      Date: 27 Feb 2009 00:19:00 -0000
      From: postpoliosyndrome@yahoogroups.com
      To: postpoliosyndrome@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [postpoliosyndrome] Digest Number 524

      Messages In This Digest (2 Messages)

      1a.
      Re: Greetings to everyone! From: GCarr85446@...
      1b.
      Re: Greetings to everyone! From: sweetalgrl@...

      Messages

      1a.

      Re: Greetings to everyone!

      Posted by: "GCarr85446@..." GCarr85446@...   ianalex15

      Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:37 am (PST)

      Mr.Crew- I am older than you by some 14 years and confined to a wheelchair.
      Just passed my 26,510 day
      with polio. Keeping track of it is good for me! Long ago gave up
      remembering when I could swim a mile, fly a glider and other good things. Recently
      came by a line from Alfred Lord Tennyson that I'm going to have inscribed on my
      tombstone: TO STRIVE, TO SEEK, TO FIND, AND NOT TO YIELD! Hang in there
      friend
      glad to chat with you anytime via e-mail.
      Gerry Carroll
      Polio 1935
      ************ **Get a jump start on your taxes. Find a tax professional in your
      neighborhood today.
      (
      http://yellowpages. aol.com/search? query=Tax+ Return+Preparati on+%26+Filing& ncid=emlcntusyel p00000004)
      1b.

      Re: Greetings to everyone!

      Posted by: "sweetalgrl@..." sweetalgrl@...   sweetalgrl

      Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:15 pm (PST)

      Gerry, and Mr. Crew, and all....
      *Hello, Gerry. I never thought about counting...wow! I got it when I was
      almost 8, and I'm 58( June of '58) , so you do the math for me, lol.
      *Mr. Crew...my knee is ready for full replacement, too, as the ligament is
      shot, from so many falls, bone to bone, and arthritis(in both) and that was my
      so-called 'good' leg. The dr is itching to replace it, yet, other doctors
      in the past, who dealt with polio patients, have always said full recovery
      after surgery of any kind on the legs involved cannot be expected. And
      complications were common. You have confirmed that. When I broke my 'bad' leg in 3
      places, they opted not to do the surgery then and kept me in a full leg cast
      for over 4 months. Think I will keep trying those gel injections, as painful
      as they are(next step after steroid shots). I can still walk, these days
      it's slowly and carefully, with a cane and my knee brace, tho, I do have a
      regular wheelchair and an electric one that just sits, gathering dust, as I have
      no ramp to get it out! The cat loves it, though, lol. Anyway, I digress.
      This morning my neighbor came over to dig holes for my 4 new cedar trees ,
      as I can't keep my balance for that. What's harder for me than losing the
      ability to do what I once did is accepting help. I hear tell many of us who
      had polio have that same affliction. but, I'm working on it.
      *Gerry...my motto, and what I tell my family will be on my tombstone, is an
      early to mid 90's song...it goes...."I get knocked down, but I get up again,
      no they're never gonna keep me down!" Seems the writer knew me and my
      penchant for eating the floor. It's wonderful we have a place to share our
      thoughts. Wish I could meet you all.
      *Jack, I do hope things are beginning to look up for you and your wife.
      That new grand baby should help cheer you up. Good luck, dear.
      Your 4ever friend,
      ~Shar~(Sharon- seems to be a lot of them online so I use Shar to make it less
      complicated)

      ____________ _________ _________ ______
      Get a jump start on your taxes. _Find a tax professional in your neighborhood
      today_
      (
      http://yellowpages. aol.com/search? query=Tax+ Return+Preparati on+&+Filing& ncid=emlcntusyel p00000004) .

      ************ **A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy
      steps!
      (
      http://pr.atwola. com/promoclk/ 100126575x121882 2736x1201267884/ aol?redir= http:%2F% 2Fwww.freecredit report.com% 2Fpm%2Fdefault. aspx%3Fsc% 3D668072% 26hmpgID
      %3D62%26bcd% 3Dfebemailfooter NO62)
      Recent Activity
      Visit Your Group
      Drive Traffic

      Sponsored Search

      can help increase

      your site traffic.

      Ads on Yahoo!

      Learn more now.

      Reach customers

      searching for you.

      Check out the

      Y! Groups blog

      Stay up to speed

      on all things Groups!

      Need to Reply?

    • Marcia R. Crew-Yegan
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 24, 2009
        Dear Shar~ Sorry I just found your post to me. Out of unusual circumstances, my husband finally DID hear from someone else the "realities" of PPS. We went to buy new batteries for my electric power chair. I am able to walk a few steps so was UP on my feet "looking fine". The man that was assembling a new power chair commented he was amazed "I was still walking". He said in front of my husband that he did not have one post polio syndrome customer that was still able to walk. He asked me how old I was & when I told him he was really shocked. I read EVERYTHiNG & regardless of even what my physician SON says, I know better than to have been "toning up & exercising" at a gym. Just this morning I fell again landing right on my replaced knee. My broken leg IS healing AND the hot dagger shooting pain at the broken point has let up, so I am very thankful that sharp pain has subsided. I feel weakness in that leg, but it IS my polio side leg after all. So now, my husband can not be denial of what I have tried to tell him. I am not giving up or giving in but I AM realistic.
        I also have grandchildren, but my daughter disappeared with her son when he was a baby. He would be 4 1/2 now. My son lives 2,000 miles away, so I am a grandma in pictures only. Even that long ago, my daughter's baby son was way too much for me to ever care for by myself. I would not even try to lift him or carry him. I would sit on the sofa & have her bring him to me to hold. The couple of times we had my baby grandson my husband was the one that lifted him & did what I could not. My grandchildren are ages are now 3,4 & 5.
        I wanted to tell all the group that I did have a bone density test of both of my legs, & I am very blessed that for my age my density is 100% excellent. So polio did not affect the stability & quality of my bones. That is a huge relief & am thankful to know that.
        Hope more of us keep in touch. Marcia