delivering to Maildir when $HOME is unmounted

  • Martin Vegter
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 25, 2014
      Hello,

      I am using Postfix with Maildir format, where user's mail is delivered
      to $HOME/mail/Inbox and the home is mounted from NFS.

      It happened to me that NFS was down (or simply unmounted),
      $HOME/mail/Inbox did not exist, and new mail could not be delivered. I
      would have expected that Postfix would keep it until it can deliver it
      to users mailbox, but instead it simply vanished.

      Is this expected behavior?
      Is there any way to solve this problem?
      Can Postfix keep the message and deliver it once users home is mounted
      again?

      thanks,
      Martin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2014
        Martin Vegter:
        [ Charset ISO-8859-1 converted... ]
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am using Postfix with Maildir format, where user's mail is delivered
        > to $HOME/mail/Inbox and the home is mounted from NFS.
        >
        > It happened to me that NFS was down (or simply unmounted),
        > $HOME/mail/Inbox did not exist, and new mail could not be delivered. I
        > would have expected that Postfix would keep it until it can deliver it
        > to users mailbox, but instead it simply vanished.

        Postfix does not lose mail. Look in the maillog file.

        If you have a buggy mail delivering script that loses mail, then
        you can set "require_home_directory = yes" in main.cf to work around
        it. But it is better not to rely on a buggy mail delivering script.

        Wietse
      • Martin Vegter
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2014
          > On 07/25/2014 01:09 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Martin Vegter:
          >>
          >> It happened to me that NFS was down (or simply unmounted),
          >> $HOME/mail/Inbox did not exist, and new mail could not be delivered. I
          >> would have expected that Postfix would keep it until it can deliver it
          >> to users mailbox, but instead it simply vanished.
          >
          > Postfix does not lose mail. Look in the maillog file.

          If home is not mounted, then the email is returned to the sender with
          following error:

          Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender:
          maildir delivery failed: create maildir file
          /home/martin/mail/Inbox/tmp/1406294059.G14152.alpha: Read-only file
          system

          > If you have a buggy mail delivering script that loses mail, then
          > you can set "require_home_directory = yes" in main.cf to work around
          > it. But it is better not to rely on a buggy mail delivering script.

          "require_home_directory = yes" works.
          That seems to be what I needed.
          Thanks a lot.
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 25, 2014
            Martin Vegter:
            > > On 07/25/2014 01:09 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Martin Vegter:
            > >>
            > >> It happened to me that NFS was down (or simply unmounted),
            > >> $HOME/mail/Inbox did not exist, and new mail could not be delivered. I
            > >> would have expected that Postfix would keep it until it can deliver it
            > >> to users mailbox, but instead it simply vanished.
            > >
            > > Postfix does not lose mail. Look in the maillog file.
            >
            > If home is not mounted, then the email is returned to the sender with
            > following error:
            >
            > Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender:
            > maildir delivery failed: create maildir file
            > /home/martin/mail/Inbox/tmp/1406294059.G14152.alpha: Read-only file
            > system

            Excellent. Mail does not "vanish".

            > > If you have a buggy mail delivering script that loses mail, then
            > > you can set "require_home_directory = yes" in main.cf to work around
            > > it. But it is better not to rely on a buggy mail delivering script.
            >
            > "require_home_directory = yes" works.

            You're welcome.