milter email classification

  • André Rodier
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
      Hello everyone,

      I am looking for a milter script (mail filter) that would classify
      emails automatically. Something in Perl, for instance.

      The purpose is not to fight spam, but to classify emails and ideally
      differentiate commercial emails from private or business emails.

      After execution, the email would contain an additional header, for
      instance X-Email-Type, with some predefined values, like 'commercial',
      'business', 'private', etc. Finally, when the filter would not been able
      to recognise the content, a special value 'unknown' may be used.

      A database maybe used to classify the emails, as well as using
      'In-Reply-To' or 'References' to check the validity of the emails.

      Also, I would like to retrain the system by reading the content of a
      maildir.

      Can you tell me if such a filter / service is already existing?

      If not, I should be able to write a filter in Perl. Can anyone tell me
      if perl performances are good enough for that, or should I start
      something in a compiled language?

      Thanks.
      André
    • Andreas Schulze
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
        André Rodier:
        > I am looking for a milter script (mail filter) that would classify
        > emails automatically. Something in Perl, for instance.
        you could use spamassassin for that purpose, too.
        write your own SA rules and your done.

        Andreas
      • André Rodier
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
          On 2014-07-14 15:43, Andreas Schulze wrote:
          > André Rodier:
          >> I am looking for a milter script (mail filter) that would classify
          >> emails automatically. Something in Perl, for instance.
          > you could use spamassassin for that purpose, too.
          > write your own SA rules and your done.
          >
          > Andreas

          Hello Andreas,

          I cannot see in the SpamAssassin rules documentation a way to add
          headers. I see a lot of options to modify the scoring 'score' option.

          Can you give me an example on how to add a header with a SA rule,
          please?

          Thanks.
          André.
        • Benny Pedersen
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
            André Rodier skrev den 2014-07-14 17:07:

            > I cannot see in the SpamAssassin rules documentation a way to add
            > headers. I see a lot of options to modify the scoring 'score' option.

            perldoc Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf

            > Can you give me an example on how to add a header with a SA rule,
            > please?

            http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.1.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html
          • Wijatmoko U. Prayitno
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
              On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:07:32 +0100
              André Rodier <andre@...> wrote:

              > On 2014-07-14 15:43, Andreas Schulze wrote:
              > > you could use spamassassin for that purpose, too.
              > > write your own SA rules and your done.
              > >
              > I cannot see in the SpamAssassin rules documentation a
              > way to add headers. I see a lot of options to modify
              > the scoring 'score' option.

              Maybe you should considering using amavisd-new with
              custom hook, example:

              https://www.mail-archive.com/amavis-user@.../msg13641.html

              --
              WUP
            • Andreas Schulze
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
                André Rodier:
                > I cannot see in the SpamAssassin rules documentation a way to add
                > headers.
                point for you. Adding any header with SA isn't possible at a first view.
                You may ask again on spamassasin-users

                Andreas
              • André Rodier
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
                  On 2014-07-14 16:19, Wijatmoko U. Prayitno wrote:
                  > On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 16:07:32 +0100
                  > André Rodier <andre@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >> On 2014-07-14 15:43, Andreas Schulze wrote:
                  >> > you could use spamassassin for that purpose, too.
                  >> > write your own SA rules and your done.
                  >> >
                  >> I cannot see in the SpamAssassin rules documentation a
                  >> way to add headers. I see a lot of options to modify
                  >> the scoring 'score' option.
                  >>
                  > Maybe you should considering using amavisd-new with
                  > custom hook, example:
                  >
                  > https://www.mail-archive.com/amavis-user@.../msg13641.html

                  Thanks, I think this is the right way to do.

                  André.
                • Robert Schetterer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
                    Am 14.07.2014 15:44, schrieb André Rodier:
                    > The purpose is not to fight spam, but to classify emails and ideally
                    > differentiate commercial emails from private or business emails

                    Allready exists in mail archive solutions, but not free to my knowledge.
                    In germany bigger companies have to archive all mail which are i.e
                    billing/finance relevant for ten years in an unchangeable way ( very
                    short description... ). The tec solution is simply archive all mail, do
                    spam filter , and the try to split private mail with advanced filter logics.

                    Best Regards
                    MfG Robert Schetterer

                    --
                    [*] sys4 AG

                    http://sys4.de, +49 (89) 30 90 46 64
                    Franziskanerstraße 15, 81669 München

                  • André Rodier
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
                      On 2014-07-14 16:45, Robert Schetterer wrote:
                      > Am 14.07.2014 15:44, schrieb André Rodier:
                      >> The purpose is not to fight spam, but to classify emails and ideally
                      >> differentiate commercial emails from private or business emails
                      >
                      > Allready exists in mail archive solutions, but not free to my
                      > knowledge.
                      > In germany bigger companies have to archive all mail which are i.e
                      > billing/finance relevant for ten years in an unchangeable way ( very
                      > short description... ). The tec solution is simply archive all mail, do
                      > spam filter , and the try to split private mail with advanced filter
                      > logics.
                      >

                      > Best Regards
                      > MfG Robert Schetterer

                      Thanks, I will write something in perl, and I will push it on github...

                      André.
                    • Robert Schetterer
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 14, 2014
                        Am 14.07.2014 17:50, schrieb André Rodier:
                        > On 2014-07-14 16:45, Robert Schetterer wrote:
                        >> Am 14.07.2014 15:44, schrieb André Rodier:
                        >>> The purpose is not to fight spam, but to classify emails and ideally
                        >>> differentiate commercial emails from private or business emails
                        >>
                        >> Allready exists in mail archive solutions, but not free to my knowledge.
                        >> In germany bigger companies have to archive all mail which are i.e
                        >> billing/finance relevant for ten years in an unchangeable way ( very
                        >> short description... ). The tec solution is simply archive all mail, do
                        >> spam filter , and the try to split private mail with advanced filter
                        >> logics.
                        >>

                        >> Best Regards
                        >> MfG Robert Schetterer
                        >
                        > Thanks, I will write something in perl, and I will push it on github...

                        nice !

                        > André.

                        as i had i demo, they do it like that ( after allready spamfiltered !)
                        if mail body beginns with i.e "Hi Darling" etc its classified private,
                        for sure more complex in real. Guess they using procmail or sieve regex
                        stuff also the have manual black/whitelist with patterns, senders,
                        domains etc

                        Best Regards
                        MfG Robert Schetterer