How to use only flat-file for passwords when using non-system users for a hosted, virtual domain?

  • Arun
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 9, 2014
      Hello,

      I am just starting to build up my Postfix server.

      I have been reading the many docs.  I decided to set up with virtual_domains.

      For a simple first step I am not using the MySQL database tables yet, only flat files.

      In my main.cf configuration file I put

      /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf
          virtual_mailbox_domains = mx.testdomain.loc
          virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts
          virtual_mailbox_maps = /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
          virtual_minimum_uid = 100
          virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
          virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

      And then I put just one user in it

      /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
          arun@... mx.testdomain.loc/arun/

      From my reading I thinkg this will work okay.

      What I do not understand is how to put in a password for the only one user in a flatfile, not a database.  There are many docs for the database approach to it.  But I have not found one for just a flatfile.

      How do I add a password for the "arun@..." that I would use in my mail client program, like Thunderbird, to access the account?  Both for sending and receiving?

      Thank you for your help.

      Arun

    • Dominik George
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 9, 2014
        Hi Arun,

        >How do I add a password for the "arun@..." that I would
        >use in my mail client program, like Thunderbird, to access the
        >account?  Both for sending and receiving?

        receiving is clearly out oft scope here, but implies you will be using an IMAP server.

        In that case, Dovecot can authenticate against flat files and also provide authentication to Postfix.

        Documentation about that is very rich and easy to find.

        Cheers,
        Nik
      • DTNX Postmaster
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 9, 2014
          On 10 Jul 2014, at 08:21, Arun <arun_v_sanjose@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I am just starting to build up my Postfix server.
          >
          > I have been reading the many docs. I decided to set up with virtual_domains.
          >
          > For a simple first step I am not using the MySQL database tables yet, only flat files.
          >
          > In my main.cf configuration file I put
          >
          > /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf
          > virtual_mailbox_domains = mx.testdomain.loc
          > virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts
          > virtual_mailbox_maps = /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
          > virtual_minimum_uid = 100
          > virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
          > virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
          >
          > And then I put just one user in it
          >
          > /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
          > arun@... mx.testdomain.loc/arun/
          >
          > From my reading I thinkg this will work okay.
          >
          > What I do not understand is how to put in a password for the only one user in a flatfile, not a database. There are many docs for the database approach to it. But I have not found one for just a flatfile.
          >
          > How do I add a password for the "arun@..." that I would use in my mail client program, like Thunderbird, to access the account? Both for sending and receiving?

          Have you looked at the SASL howto?

          http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

          Mvg,
          Joni
        • Muhammad Yousuf Khan
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 9, 2014
            Postfix is an MTA only. for IMAP and POP you need dovecot or courier combined with Postfix.

            Thanks,
            Yousuf

            On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Arun <arun_v_sanjose@...> wrote:
            Hello,

            I am just starting to build up my Postfix server.

            I have been reading the many docs.  I decided to set up with virtual_domains.

            For a simple first step I am not using the MySQL database tables yet, only flat files.

            In my main.cf configuration file I put

            /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf
                virtual_mailbox_domains = mx.testdomain.loc
                virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts
                virtual_mailbox_maps = /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
                virtual_minimum_uid = 100
                virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
                virtual_gid_maps = static:5000

            And then I put just one user in it

            /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
                arun@... mx.testdomain.loc/arun/

            From my reading I thinkg this will work okay.

            What I do not understand is how to put in a password for the only one user in a flatfile, not a database.  There are many docs for the database approach to it.  But I have not found one for just a flatfile.

            How do I add a password for the "arun@..." that I would use in my mail client program, like Thunderbird, to access the account?  Both for sending and receiving?

            Thank you for your help.

            Arun

          • Narcis Garcia
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 9, 2014
              As I understood, Postfix can deliver letters to a maildir/mailbox
              without MDA, but no IMAP/POP3 access service will provide.

              I believe too that SASL is a good way for authentication:
              http://www.postfix.org/SASL_README.html

              Postfix can have its own authentication with plain-text files, but has
              no sense if you want both to send and receive with a MUA like M.Thunderbird.

              El 10/07/14 08:53, Muhammad Yousuf Khan ha escrit:
              > Postfix is an MTA only. for IMAP and POP you need dovecot or courier
              > combined with Postfix.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Yousuf
              >

              > On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 11:21 AM, Arun <arun_v_sanjose@...
              > <mailto:arun_v_sanjose@...>> wrote:
              >
              > Hello,
              >
              > I am just starting to build up my Postfix server.
              >
              > I have been reading the many docs. I decided to set up with
              > virtual_domains.
              >
              > For a simple first step I am not using the MySQL database tables
              > yet, only flat files.
              >
              > In my main.cf <http://main.cf> configuration file I put
              >
              > /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf <http://main.cf>
              > virtual_mailbox_domains = mx.testdomain.loc
              > virtual_mailbox_base = /var/mail/vhosts
              > virtual_mailbox_maps = /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
              > virtual_minimum_uid = 100
              > virtual_uid_maps = static:5000
              > virtual_gid_maps = static:5000
              >
              > And then I put just one user in it
              >
              > /usr/local/etc/postfix/vmailbox
              > arun@... mx.testdomain.loc/arun/
              >
              > From my reading I thinkg this will work okay.
              >
              > What I do not understand is how to put in a password for the only
              > one user in a flatfile, not a database. There are many docs for the
              > database approach to it. But I have not found one for just a flatfile.
              >
              > How do I add a password for the "arun@..." that I
              > would use in my mail client program, like Thunderbird, to access the
              > account? Both for sending and receiving?
              >
              > Thank you for your help.
              >
              > Arun

            • Arun
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 11, 2014
                Thanks to everybody for the pointer to the good ideas and docs.

                I read everything and made some mistakes but I have it working with the flatfile style now!

                Thanks

                Arun