maximal_queue_lifetime customized for 1 domain

  • Douglas Mortensen
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24, 2014
      Is there a way to set a maximal_queue_lifetime value customized/specific for 1 recipient email domain?

      I have 1 client who uses our spam filtering service & is constantly clogging up my queues because they frequently have users whose mailbox is full (reached quota). These produce a deferral and leave the messages in my queue until the maximal_queue_lifetime expires.

      If I had a way to give their domain a shorter maximal_queue_lifetime, it would help me out, and possibly motivate them to fix this problem on their end.

      Any help would be appreciated.

      Sincerely,
      -
      Doug Mortensen
      Network Consultant
      Impala Networks Inc
      CCNA, MCSA, Security+, A+
      Linux+, Network+, Server+
      A.A.S. Information Technology
      .
      www.impalanetworks.com
      P: (505) 327-7300
      F: (505) 327-7545
    • lists@rhsoft.net
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2014
        Am 24.06.2014 21:18, schrieb Douglas Mortensen:
        > Is there a way to set a maximal_queue_lifetime value customized/specific for 1 recipient email domain?
        >
        > I have 1 client who uses our spam filtering service & is constantly clogging up my queues because they frequently have users whose mailbox is full (reached quota). These produce a deferral and leave the messages in my queue until the maximal_queue_lifetime expires.
        >
        > If I had a way to give their domain a shorter maximal_queue_lifetime, it would help me out, and possibly motivate them to fix this problem on their end

        you dig on the wrong side
        if they defer in case of full quota they could fix that and reject

        in case of dbmail you have "quota_failure = hard" to do that
        so not your problem as delivering MTA, don't try to solve
        problems you ar enot creating!
      • Douglas Mortensen
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 24, 2014
          I realize it's not my problem. And the fact is that I really don't have control over the end-users' email servers either. So there's nothing I can do about it from the end of the server that is causing the problem. However if there is a way that I can actually manipulate the behavior a bit on my end (my postfix spam filter/relay), then I'd like to.

          Do you know of any way that we can modify the maximal_queue_lifetime just for 1 recipient domain name?

          Thanks,
          -
          Doug Mortensen
          Network Consultant
          Impala Networks

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 24, 2014
            On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 01:18:43PM -0600, Douglas Mortensen wrote:

            > Is there a way to set a maximal_queue_lifetime value customized/specific
            > for 1 recipient email domain?

            Only by routing mail for that domain to an intermediate queue
            (separate Postfix instance) where the queue lifetime is different.

            Queue lifetime is a message property, not a recipient property.
            When the message expires, all remaining recipients are bounced
            together. This avoids a common path for bounce amplification.

          • Douglas Mortensen
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 24, 2014
              OK. So I could use my master.cf to create an instance with the -o flag to add the appropriate override configuration I want, correct? Then I could put that on a separate public IP address and have our client redirect their MX record to the new address. Does this sound like a correct way to do it?

              Thanks,
              -
              Doug Mortensen
              Network Consultant
              Impala Networks

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 24, 2014
                On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 02:21:30PM -0600, Douglas Mortensen wrote:

                > OK. So I could use my master.cf to create an instance with the
                > -o flag to add the appropriate override configuration I want,
                > correct?

                No, that's not a separate Postfix instance.

                or route to a dedicated (virtual) machine.

                > Then I could put that on a separate public IP address and
                > have our client redirect their MX record to the new address. Does
                > this sound like a correct way to do it?

                No, that's not a separate instance. A separate instance has its
                main.cf and master.cf file, its own queue_directory, ...