REG:DSN Configuration in postfix

  • thirumalkumarkanakurthi@...
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 13 9:54 PM
      hi,
      my question is regarding DSN(delivery status notifications). When i am sending a mail from one domain to another (in between one relay server is configured for relaying the mail) Delivery report is getting generated  from relay server and not from destination. I want DSN to be generated from destination.please help me.

      Every Sheets of paper is made from a tree.. Save trees... Conserve Trees.... Go Green .... Don't print this email or any Files unless you really need to!!!!

      Confidentiality Notice
      The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments to this
      message are intended for the exclusive use of the addressee(s) and may contain
      confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient,
      please notify the sender at Bharat Electronics or support@...
      immediately and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 13 11:01 PM
        On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 10:24:10AM +0530, thirumalkumarkanakurthi@... wrote:

        > my question is regarding DSN(delivery status notifications). When
        > i am sending a mail from one domain to another (in between one relay
        > server is configured for relaying the mail) Delivery report is getting
        > generated? from relay server and not from destination. I want DSN to
        > be generated from destination.please help me.

        You have no control over where in the forwarding chain DSN reports
        are generated, the first MTA to either encounter an error (if error
        reports are enabled) or to forward a non-DSN MTA (if success DSNs
        are requested) will send the DSN per RFC requirements.

        You can request DSNs, and you can cause MTAs you control to either
        not advertise DSN support to remote MTAs not under your control (a
        good idea/best practice by the way) or ignore DSN advertisements
        from remote MTAs not under your control (another good idea/best
        practice). You cannot however force DSN support end-to-end past
        MTAs that don't advertise or support the feature.

      • thirumalkumarkanakurthi@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 14 3:01 AM

          > On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 10:24:10AM +0530,

          thirumalkumarkanakurthi@... wrote:

          >> my question is regarding DSN(delivery status notifications). When
          >> i am sending a mail from one domain to another (in between one relay
          >> server is configured for relaying the mail) Delivery report is getting
          >> generated? from relay server and not from destination. I want DSN to
          >> be generated from destination.please help me.
          >
          > You have no control over where in the forwarding chain DSN reports
          > are generated, the first MTA to either encounter an error (if error
          > reports are enabled) or to forward a non-DSN MTA (if success DSNs
          > are requested) will send the DSN per RFC requirements.
          >
          > You can request DSNs, and you can cause MTAs you control to either
          > not advertise DSN support to remote MTAs not under your control (a
          > good idea/best practice by the way) or ignore DSN advertisements
          > from remote MTAs not under your control (another good idea/best
          > practice). You cannot however force DSN support end-to-end past
          > MTAs that don't advertise or support the feature.
          >
          > --
          > Viktor.

          In that case how to ensure that the mail has reached destination. Because in my case relay server is sending success notification even it is unable to deliver the mail to the destination.

          Regards
          Thirumal Kumar Kanakurthi
          Member (Research Staff)/NWS Group
          Central Research Laboratory(BEL).
          Bangalore.
          Mobile:+918050469976

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 14 9:52 AM
            On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 03:31:21PM +0530, thirumalkumarkanakurthi@... wrote:

            > In that case how to ensure that the mail has reached destination.
            > Because in my case relay server is sending success notification even it is
            > unable to deliver the mail to the destination.

            You can't. Success notices are at the discretion of the destination,
            and there are privacy/operational reasons to not send them.

            All you can do is make sure that machines you control return DSN
            success notices to you when the message is successfully forwarded
            to the first external MX (if you deliberately, as I recommend)
            ignore DSN advertisements by remote systems.

            master.cf:
            smtp unix - - n - - smtp
            -o smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords=silent-discard,dsn

          • thirumalkumarkanakurthi@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 15 10:18 PM

              > On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 03:31:21PM +0530,

              thirumalkumarkanakurthi@... wrote:

              >> In that case how to ensure that the mail has reached destination.
              >> Because in my case relay server is sending success notification even it
              >> is
              >> unable to deliver the mail to the destination.
              >
              > You can't. Success notices are at the discretion of the destination,
              > and there are privacy/operational reasons to not send them.
              >
              > All you can do is make sure that machines you control return DSN
              > success notices to you when the message is successfully forwarded
              > to the first external MX (if you deliberately, as I recommend)
              > ignore DSN advertisements by remote systems.
              >
              > master.cf:
              > smtp unix - - n - - smtp
              > -o smtp_discard_ehlo_keywords=silent-discard,dsn
              >
              > --
              > Viktor.

              We wanted to develop reliable messaging system, where we ll inform sender about the status of the sent message. For that we need to know whether mail has reached the end destination or not.  Our present mail setup is as follows.

              We are having 3 Postfix servers.

              a) Server and receiver SMTP servers are postfix servers.

              b) In between one relay server is there, which is also postfix server

              c) When mail hits destination SMTP server, sender should know that.

              How to achieve this?

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 15 10:25 PM
                On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 10:48:10AM +0530, thirumalkumarkanakurthi@... wrote:

                > > thirumalkumarkanakurthi@... wrote:
                > >
                > > > In that case how to ensure that the mail has reached destination.
                > >
                > > You can't. Success notices are at the discretion of the destination,
                > > and there are privacy/operational reasons to not send them.
                >
                > We wanted to develop reliable messaging system, where we'll inform sender
                > about the status of the sent message. For that we need to know whether
                > mail has reached the end destination or not?

                I repeat "You can't". The only reliable status you can provide
                (as described in earlier posts) is whether the message has left
                your mail system and was successfully handed off to the MX host of
                the destination domain. After that the message is no longer under
                your control, and guaranteed delivery notices are no longer possible,
                and any notices returned may not represent final delivery to the
                destination mailbox.

                [ Note, this is the last response in this thread, if you attempt to
                ask the same question again with different words in the hope of
                getting a different answer, my response will be the same, but
                much less polite. ]