Postfix-DSN support

  • hyndavirapuru@...
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 11, 2014
      Hi,

      I am not getting DSN from receiver to sender. My set up is as follows.

      I have two domains, say a.abc.com and b.abc.com and one relay server.
      When mail goes from one domain to other domain, mail goes through the
      relay server.

      I have tried to send mail form a.abc.com to b.abc.com through command
      prompt(I have enabled DSN by giving RET=HDRS near mail from command etc.).
      Mail has been successfully forwarded to the relay server and DSN is
      getting delivered to sender inbox. when Relay server forwards the mail to
      actual destination, Sender is not getting any notification. Even if relay
      server is failing to send mail to destination sender is not able to get
      that notification.

      How sender will get DSN if mail is going through the relay server?

      I searched a lot but didn’t get anything. Please help me. Thanking you
      in advance.

      ---

      Hyndavi

      Every 3000 Sheets of paper costs us a tree.. Save trees... Conserve
      Trees. Don't print this email or any Files unless you really need to!!!!
      Confidentiality Notice

      attachments to this message are intended for the exclusive use of
      the addressee(s) and may contain confidential or privileged
      information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
      the sender at Bharat Electronics or support@... immediately
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
        hyndavirapuru@...:
        > getting delivered to sender inbox. when Relay server forwards the mail to
        > actual destination, Sender is not getting any notification.

        Ask the remote system administrator why they aren't sending DSN.

        Wietse
      • hyndavirapuru@...
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
          Hi,

          Thanks for the reply. I have only configured the whole setup. I am
          getting DSN from relay server to sender but not from the destination.

          I have a basic question.. how to enable DSN by default in postfix?

          Thanks and regards
          Hyndvai

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 12, 2014
            hyndavirapuru@...:
            > Thanks for the reply. I have only configured the whole setup. I am
            > getting DSN from relay server to sender but not from the destination.

            If the relay sends a DSN for success, the remote system won't send one.

            If the relay sends a DSN for failure, the remote system won't send one.

            DSN for SMTP is defined in RFC 3461. I am not making up this stuff.

            Wietse
          • hyndavirapuru@...
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 13, 2014
              Thanks Wietse for the help.

              By default Postfix server does not send DSN to sender. How can I make it
              by default? Is therre any configuration parameter to set this?

              ---
              Hyndavi

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 13, 2014
                hyndavirapuru@...:
                > Thanks for the reply. I have only configured the whole setup. I am
                > getting DSN from relay server to sender but not from the destination.

                Wietse:
                > If the relay sends a DSN for success, the remote system won't send one.
                >
                > If the relay sends a DSN for failure, the remote system won't send one.
                >
                > DSN for SMTP is defined in RFC 3461. I am not making up this stuff.

                hyndavirapuru@...:
                > By default Postfix server does not send DSN to sender.

                THAT IS INCORRECT. POSTFIX SENDS DSN AS SPECIFIED BY INTERNET RFC
                3463 AND RELATED RFCS.

                > How can I make it by default? Is therre any configuration parameter
                > to set this?

                DSN IS ENABLED BY DEFAULT. PLEASE READ INTERNET RFC 3463 AND RELATED
                RFCS TO LEARN HOW INTERNET EMAIL WORKS.