Problem with configuring postfix to send a Successful Mail Delivery Report.

  • johan van der merwe
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
      Hi All,

      I have a problem with configuring my postfix to send a Successful Mail Delivery Report.
      The Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender works fine.

      In my main.cf file, I added the above:

      bounce_template_file = /etc/postfix/bounce.cf

      In my bounce.cf file are the Successful Mail Delivery Report:

      #
      # The success template is used when mail is delivered to mailbox,
      # when an alias or list is expanded, or when mail is delivered to a
      # system that does not announce DSN support. It is an error to specify
      # a Postmaster-Subject: here.
      #

      success_template = <<EOF
      Charset: us-ascii
      From: MAILER-DAEMON (Mail Delivery System)
      Subject: Successful Mail Delivery Report

      This is the mail system at host $myhostname.

      Your message was successfully delivered to the destination(s)
      listed below. If the message was delivered to mailbox you will
      receive no further notifications. Otherwise you may still receive
      notifications of mail delivery errors from other systems.

      Thank you.

      EOF

      Thanks

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 28, 2014
        johan van der merwe:
        > Hi All,
        >
        > I have a problem with configuring my postfix to send a Successful Mail
        > Delivery Report.
        > The Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender works fine.

        "Does not work" is not sufficient. What sendmail command-line option
        did you use, or what SMTP protocol option did you specify to request
        successful delivery notification?

        Wietse
      • johan van der merwe
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 29, 2014

          On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
          johan van der merwe:
          > Hi All,
          >
          > I have a problem with configuring my postfix to send a Successful Mail
          > Delivery Report.
          > The Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender works fine.

          "Does not work" is not sufficient. What sendmail command-line option
          did you use, or what SMTP protocol option did you specify to request
          successful delivery notification?
          I used the lmtp protocol as above:
           lmtp      unix  -       -       -       -       -       lmtp

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 29, 2014
            johan van der merwe:
            > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
            > > johan van der merwe:
            > > > Hi All,
            > > >
            > > > I have a problem with configuring my postfix to send a Successful Mail
            > > > Delivery Report.
            > > > The Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender works fine.
            > >
            > > "Does not work" is not sufficient. What sendmail command-line option
            > > did you use, or what SMTP protocol option did you specify to request
            > > successful delivery notification?
            > >
            > I used the lmtp protocol as above:
            > lmtp unix - - - - - lmtp

            "Success" notifications are requested by the email sender.
            They ARE NOT automatically sent for all email.

            What option did you as the email sender specify on the command line?

            Whan RCPT TO parameter did you as the email sender specify in the
            SMTP mail transaction?

            Wietse
          • johan van der merwe
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 30, 2014

              On Tue, Apr 29, 2014 at 6:45 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
              johan van der merwe:
              > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
              > > johan van der merwe:
              > > > Hi All,
              > > >
              > > > I have a problem with configuring my postfix to send a Successful Mail
              > > > Delivery Report.
              > > > The Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender works fine.
              > >
              > > "Does not work" is not sufficient. What sendmail command-line option
              > > did you use, or what SMTP protocol option did you specify to request
              > > successful delivery notification?
              > >
              > I used the lmtp protocol as above:
              >  lmtp      unix  -       -       -       -       -       lmtp

              "Success" notifications are requested by the email sender.
              They ARE NOT automatically sent for all email.

              What option did you as the email sender specify on the command line?

              I didn't specified any thing.
              Whan RCPT TO parameter did you as the email sender specify in the
              SMTP mail transaction?
              I was thinking its works like undelivery message in the bounce file.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 30, 2014
                johan van der merwe:
                > > "Success" notifications are requested by the email sender.
                > > They ARE NOT automatically sent for all email.
                > >
                > > What option did you as the email sender specify on the command line?
                > >
                > > I didn't specified any thing.
                >
                > > Whan RCPT TO parameter did you as the email sender specify in the
                > > SMTP mail transaction?
                > >
                > I was thinking its works like undelivery message in the bounce file.

                Don't assume, RTFM. http://www.postfix.org/DSN_README.html

                Wietse
              • johan van der merwe
                Message 7 of 7 , May 2, 2014