Warning messages from bad return-path

  • Bruce Sackett
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 28, 2014
      I am running into a problem where I have a poorly configured SMS system sending through the mail server.  The messages are delivered properly, but then the sender receives a warning message:

      Failed to deliver to ‘<email account> SMTP module(domain <domain>) reports: return-path address <-6032673_14937_452964_11551.sms@<bad crm>

      I unfortunately cannot change the SMS system, so I need to be able to suppress the failure messages.
      I have strict_rfc821_envelopes = no set in main.cf, and postfix on that server is currently version 2.8.5

      I appreciate any help or guidance.

      --Bruce Sackett – e:
       bruce@... - w: www.oecnw.com - p: 541.342.3325 - tw: @OECTECH - fb: www.facebook.com/oecnw

    • lists@rhsoft.net
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 28, 2014
        Am 28.03.2014 22:43, schrieb Bruce Sackett:
        > I am running into a problem where I have a poorly configured SMS system sending through the mail server. The
        > messages are delivered properly, but then the sender receives a warning message:
        >
        > Failed to deliver to ‘<email account> SMTP module(domain <domain>) reports: return-path
        > address <-6032673_14937_452964_11551.sms@<bad crm>
        >
        > I unfortunately cannot change the SMS system, so I need to be able to suppress the failure messages.
        > I have strict_rfc821_envelopes = no set in main.cf, and postfix on that server is currently version 2.8.5

        if you can't solve the problem and all works just configure your syslog to supress them

        rsyslog:
        :msg, contains, "whatever-you-do-not-want-to-see" ~
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 28, 2014
          Bruce Sackett:
          > I am running into a problem where I have a poorly configured SMS
          > system sending through the mail server. The messages are delivered
          > properly, but then the sender receives a warning message:

          How many different senders are affected?

          How many different sites report delivery errors?

          Wietse
        • Bruce Sackett

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 28, 2014
              Bruce Sackett:
              > I?m sorry - any sender on the one domain for the SMS software.
              > Call it usersms.com. [..] it?s the emails that are bouncing back,
              > to anyone who sends an SMS through that system.

              If the error report is generated by your mail server, then you
              can set up a transport map with

              usersms.com discard:
              .usersms.com discard:

              (or whatever pattern proves to be sufficient).

              http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#transport_maps
              http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html

              This requires Postfix 2.2 or later. Even RedHat should have that
              level by now.