Is anyone else having name service errors with barracudacentral.org?

  • deoren
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 26 6:57 AM
      Hi all,

      On March 21st I noticed these entries in my mail log and I'm not able to
      pinpoint the source of the trouble:

      warning: x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or
      domain name not found. Name service error for
      name=x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org type=A: Host not found, try again

      By that point I hadn't made any changes to the Postfix config in several
      weeks (looked back through old mail logs and the entries were not there)
      and Postfix had been restarted several times since then. Knowing that I
      had to register the nameservers that my box uses through their website,
      I looked back over their "How to Use" guide here:

      http://www.barracudacentral.org/rbl/how-to-use

      and found that they offer an easy test to make sure that DNS resolution
      is working properly:

      Command: host 2.0.0.127.b.barracudacentral.org
      Result: 2.0.0.127.b.barracudacentral.org has address 127.0.0.2

      I get the proper results, the zen.spamhaus.org entry I have is working
      fine and I've seen no DNS resolution errors in the logs for other
      daemons I run on the box so I'm somewhat at a loss. I also have no other
      nameserver entries on my box aside from the two entries that are already
      registerd with barracudacentral.org.

      Is there anything obvious I can check?

      Thank you for your time.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 26 8:46 AM
        On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:57:54AM -0500, deoren wrote:

        > On March 21st I noticed these entries in my mail log and I'm not able to
        > pinpoint the source of the trouble:
        >
        > warning: x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain
        > name not found. Name service error for name=x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org
        > type=A: Host not found, try again

        Your nameserver logs from that time may shed more light on the reason,
        but RBLs are sometimes unavailable due to DDoS, and routing problems can
        happen due to bad BGP data, ... that was then and this is now. The
        fact that it works now just means that the transient problem is gone.

        > Is there anything obvious I can check?

        log entries from your recursive resolver on whichever machine it
        resides on (ideally local to the MTA host).

      • Stan Hoeppner
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 26 9:53 AM
          On 3/26/2014 10:46 AM, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
          > On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:57:54AM -0500, deoren wrote:
          >
          >> On March 21st I noticed these entries in my mail log and I'm not able to
          >> pinpoint the source of the trouble:
          >>
          >> warning: x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain
          >> name not found. Name service error for name=x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org
          >> type=A: Host not found, try again
          >
          > Your nameserver logs from that time may shed more light on the reason,
          > but RBLs are sometimes unavailable due to DDoS, and routing problems can
          > happen due to bad BGP data, ... that was then and this is now. The
          > fact that it works now just means that the transient problem is gone.
          >
          >> Is there anything obvious I can check?
          >
          > log entries from your recursive resolver on whichever machine it
          > resides on (ideally local to the MTA host).

          Note these are common with BRBL. I got a few the very day I added it to
          my Postfix config years ago. I show the following recent resolution
          errors for BRBL, the last three trimmed to save space:

          Mar 25 15:25:31 greer postfix/smtpd[12892]: warning:
          58.0.53.80.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain name
          not found. Name service error for name=58.0.53.80.b.barracudacentral.org
          type=A: Host not found, try again

          Mar 21 08:05:25 greer postfix/smtpd[28711]: warning:
          70.233.116.74.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain

          Mar 21 11:07:38 greer postfix/smtpd[29257]: warning:
          70.233.116.74.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain

          Mar 6 05:19:00 greer postfix/smtpd[26724]: warning:
          173.197.89.23.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain

          I use powerdns recursor locally on my MX. It is designed for, targeted
          at, extremely high volume query loads, e.g. ISP environments, thus
          logging such failures would be useless due to the sheer volume. Think
          web pages containing multiple broken/dead links, then multiply times
          millions of page loads per day.

          Cheers,

          Stan
        • deoren
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 26 10:12 AM
            On 2014-03-26 10:46, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:
            > On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 08:57:54AM -0500, deoren wrote:
            >
            >> On March 21st I noticed these entries in my mail log and I'm not able
            >> pinpoint the source of the trouble:
            >>
            >> warning: x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or
            >> domain
            >> name not found. Name service error for
            >> name=x.x.x.x.b.barracudacentral.org
            >> type=A: Host not found, try again
            >
            > Your nameserver logs from that time may shed more light on the reason,
            > but RBLs are sometimes unavailable due to DDoS, and routing problems
            > can
            > happen due to bad BGP data, ... that was then and this is now. The
            > fact that it works now just means that the transient problem is gone.

            Sorry, I did a poor job of communicating that the error started then and
            is ongoing. I checked a moment ago and see a fresh entry.

            >> Is there anything obvious I can check?
            >
            > log entries from your recursive resolver on whichever machine it
            > resides on (ideally local to the MTA host).

            In my ignorance I haven't configured recursive resolvers on my mail
            servers, but am instead using hosting provider nameservers (which I
            registered with barracudacentral.org). I'll research what it takes to
            run a local recursive nameserver.
          • deoren
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 26 10:16 AM
              On 2014-03-26 11:53, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

              > Note these are common with BRBL. I got a few the very day I added it
              > my Postfix config years ago. I show the following recent resolution
              > errors for BRBL, the last three trimmed to save space:
              >
              > Mar 25 15:25:31 greer postfix/smtpd[12892]: warning:
              > 58.0.53.80.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain
              > name
              > not found. Name service error for
              > name=58.0.53.80.b.barracudacentral.org
              > type=A: Host not found, try again
              >
              > Mar 21 08:05:25 greer postfix/smtpd[28711]: warning:
              > 70.233.116.74.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain
              >
              > Mar 21 11:07:38 greer postfix/smtpd[29257]: warning:
              > 70.233.116.74.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain
              >
              > Mar 6 05:19:00 greer postfix/smtpd[26724]: warning:
              > 173.197.89.23.b.barracudacentral.org: RBL lookup error: Host or domain
              >
              > I use powerdns recursor locally on my MX. It is designed for, targeted
              > at, extremely high volume query loads, e.g. ISP environments, thus
              > logging such failures would be useless due to the sheer volume. Think
              > web pages containing multiple broken/dead links, then multiply times
              > millions of page loads per day.

              Thanks for the recommendation and thanks also for confirming that it
              seems to be a widespread thing. I'll look into powerdns recursor
              requirements and give it a spin.
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 26 11:06 AM
                On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:16:50PM -0500, deoren wrote:

                > >I use powerdns recursor locally on my MX. It is designed for, targeted
                > >at, extremely high volume query loads, e.g. ISP environments, thus
                > >logging such failures would be useless due to the sheer volume. Think
                > >web pages containing multiple broken/dead links, then multiply times
                > >millions of page loads per day.
                >
                > Thanks for the recommendation and thanks also for confirming that it seems
                > to be a widespread thing. I'll look into powerdns recursor requirements and
                > give it a spin.

                You probably don't need a particularly exotic recursive nameserver.
                Ones that are optimized for performance, may not be optimized for
                security. If you want something other than BIND consider "unbound".

              • DTNX Postmaster
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 26 11:41 AM
                  On 26 Mar 2014, at 19:06, Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@...> wrote:

                  > On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 12:16:50PM -0500, deoren wrote:
                  >
                  >>> I use powerdns recursor locally on my MX. It is designed for, targeted
                  >>> at, extremely high volume query loads, e.g. ISP environments, thus
                  >>> logging such failures would be useless due to the sheer volume. Think
                  >>> web pages containing multiple broken/dead links, then multiply times
                  >>> millions of page loads per day.
                  >>
                  >> Thanks for the recommendation and thanks also for confirming that it seems
                  >> to be a widespread thing. I'll look into powerdns recursor requirements and
                  >> give it a spin.
                  >
                  > You probably don't need a particularly exotic recursive nameserver.
                  > Ones that are optimized for performance, may not be optimized for
                  > security. If you want something other than BIND consider "unbound".

                  Also, if it does not need to serve network clients, you can bind it to
                  localhost only.

                  We use BIND as a local stub resolver on our relay servers, which
                  intercepts requests to our local rbldnsd, and forwards everything else
                  to our set of Unbound recursors elsewhere on the network.

                  Verify that it starts before everything else that is dependent on DNS,
                  on boot, so it's up when Postfix starts.

                  Mvg,
                  Joni