postfix doesn't use NIS "behind by back", right?

  • Jay G. Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 7, 2014
      That is, I deliberately banish all references to NIS from
      main.cf. (I might need the NIS client libraries to compile
      and link but I don't care about that.) postfix does not
      (in that case) use NIS for anything, right? I could firewall
      the ports closed and nothing bad happens, correct?

      j.

      --
      Jay Scott 512-835-3553 gl@...
      Head of Sun Support, Sr. System Administrator
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 7, 2014
        Am 07.03.2014 22:32, schrieb Jay G. Scott:
        > That is, I deliberately banish all references to NIS from
        > main.cf. (I might need the NIS client libraries to compile
        > and link but I don't care about that.) postfix does not
        > (in that case) use NIS for anything, right? I could firewall
        > the ports closed and nothing bad happens, correct?

        i personally know nobody using NIS and especially even
        opens port in the firewall in case of postfix - so yes
        postfix is running fine without
      • /dev/rob0
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 7, 2014
          On Fri, Mar 07, 2014 at 03:32:34PM -0600, Jay G. Scott wrote:
          > That is, I deliberately banish all references to NIS from
          > main.cf. (I might need the NIS client libraries to compile
          > and link but I don't care about that.) postfix does not
          > (in that case) use NIS for anything, right?

          rob0@harrier:~$ /usr/sbin/postconf | grep nis:
          rob0@harrier:~$ /usr/sbin/postconf -d | grep nis:
          alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases, nis:mail.aliases

          The former is MY settings (I have banished "nis:"), and the latter is
          the postconf(5) default. Note that if alias_maps is not actually set
          in your main.cf, you might be referring to NIS by default.

          > I could firewall
          > the ports closed and nothing bad happens, correct?

          If you're using the alias_maps default and NIS is not available, a
          warning is logged. The cure for that warning is to do what I did:
          have alias_maps set in main.cf and NOT including the "nis:" part.
          --
          http://rob0.nodns4.us/