Postfix crashes with signal 11

  • SW
    Message 1 of 34 , Feb 15, 2014
      Hello

      I am having an issue with Postix 2.11 crashing multiple times per day with
      the following errors:

      Feb 13 21:28:37 mail postfix/master[5828]: warning: process
      /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd pid 14469 killed by signal 11

      mail postfix/master[5828]: warning: /usr/local/libexec/postfix/smtpd: bad
      command startup -- throttling

      I've tried to fix this myself but I don't seem to be having any luck. After
      looking through the maillog this error seems to occur when I receive email
      from the following domains:

      mxslcpool74.ebay.com
      outmail034.prn2.facebook.com
      outmail040.prn2.facebook.com

      I'm running the following milters:

      smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.sock
      unix:/var/run/spamass-milter/spamass-milter.sock
      unix:/var/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock
      unix:/var/run/dkim-filter/dkim-filter.sock

      Email is still being sent/received successfully but this error is worrying.

      Can someone assist me with troubleshooting this further please? I have been
      through the logs but I can't find any clue as to why this is happening.

      I'd be happy to answer any questions about my main.cf or master.cf file.

      Thank you!

      Message 34 of 34 , Feb 20, 2014
        On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 09:45:06PM -0500, Sahil Tandon wrote:

        > > Viktor Dukhovni:

        > > > Perhaps Sahil can comment on what the status of this issue is in
        > > > FreeBSD? It has not to my knowledge been seen in other systems.
        > >
        > > I can run some tests inside a FreeBSD 10 VM (or give you a copy
        > > of the VirtualBox VM). The smaller the test program, the better.
        >
        > If there is a test program, I would also be happy to try it.

        I think the test is to compile Postfix against a libssl/libcrypto
        from ports in which SSL compression is not disabled at compile-time
        (or by default).

        Then connect with an SSL client that similarly enabled SSL compression
        and send a large message. With "luck" it'll crash.

        The thread on Postfix-users from ~2007 was also FreeBSD with OpenSSL
        from ports.

        Perhaps users are getting compilation flags wrong, mixing headers
        from the base system with libraries from ports? Or linking with
        the wrong compression library? I really don't have enough detail
        to say what they are doing wrong.