Some postfix delivering problems

  • asbaeza
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 11 10:34 PM
      Hi

      I am getting some problems with my postfix installation. I use
      postfix+amavis+clamav+spamassassin in a Debian box.

      I recently changed from sendmail+canit pro to this configuration.

      The last error I get is something like:
      Command time limit exceeded: "procmail -a "$EXTENSION""

      But there are many messages not delivered with error messages like:
      Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL, apparently from you

      Most of these messages seem to be DNS related, cause I get extra info like:
      First upstream SMTP client IP address: [proxy ip]
      proxy.raconsultores.com.mx
      According to a 'Received:' trace, the message originated at:
      [proxy ip],
      AUDITORIA proxy.raconsultores.com.mx [proxy ip] <--- I put the text
      in place of the ip

      Senders are in a LAN behind a proxy and mail server is in another network
      (we have 2 dedicated links).
      In the last sample AUDITORIA is the name of a PC in the lan. There are some
      other similar messages coming from other PCs.

      The last messages related to UBE include something like:
      Missing required header field: "Date"

      Here is my postconf -n output:
      alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
      append_dot_mydomain = no
      biff = no
      broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      mailbox_size_limit = 0
      mydestination = mail.raconsultores.com.mx, localhost, raconsultores.com.mx,
      fiscum.com.mx, haltunspa.com.mx, racorporativo.com.mx, joinbusiness.com.mx,
      jbcapital.com.mx, zcmodelos.com.mx, gruporama.com.mx
      mydomain = raconsultores.com.mx
      myhostname = mail.raconsultores.com.mx
      mynetworks = proxyip/32,mailservernetwork.0/28 <--- Of course, the file
      includes the proper ip's.
      myorigin = $mydomain
      readme_directory = no
      recipient_delimiter = +
      smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP (Debian/GNU)
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_inet_interfaces permit_mynetworks
      permit_sasl_authenticated check_relay_domains reject_unauth_destination
      check_client_access hash:/etc/postfix/rbl_override
      smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
      smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
      smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
      smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
      smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
      smtpd_tls_security_level = may
      smtpd_use_tls = yes

      I put spf records in the zone files, like:
      raconsultores.com.mx. IN TXT "v=spf1 mx ~all"

      (Indeed, after that I get less errors about UBE)

      What could be wrong?

      thanks in advice.

      Armando

      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 12 5:13 AM
        asbaeza:
        > Hi
        >
        > I am getting some problems with my postfix installation. I use
        > postfix+amavis+clamav+spamassassin in a Debian box.
        >
        > I recently changed from sendmail+canit pro to this configuration.
        >
        > The last error I get is something like:
        > Command time limit exceeded: "procmail -a "$EXTENSION""

        The problem is that your procmail commands take more than 1000 seconds
        (17 minutes). You need to find out which procmail rule is too slow.

        Wietse
      • Jeroen Geilman
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 12 6:59 AM
          On 10/12/2013 07:34 AM, asbaeza wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > I am getting some problems with my postfix installation. I use
          > postfix+amavis+clamav+spamassassin in a Debian box.
          >
          > I recently changed from sendmail+canit pro to this configuration.
          >
          > The last error I get is something like:
          > Command time limit exceeded: "procmail -a "$EXTENSION""

          Jeebus.
          Why would you use procmail to dump mail to amavisd, which then calls
          spamassassin ?
          Just call amavisd directly - it has a working SMTP interface.

          > But there are many messages not delivered with error messages like:
          > Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL, apparently from you

          This is not a postfix message; I suggest you take it to the appropriate
          forum.

          It may or may not be related to the timeout issue; if amavisd is run as
          a procmail command then this will contribute to that procmail timeout.

          <snip numerous conflated symptoms and perceived errors>

          Don't blindly assume everything is interrelated.
          A mail server system consists of many moving parts.

          --
          J.
        • Armando Soto Baeza
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 12 10:04 AM
            El sáb, 12-10-2013 a las 15:59 +0200, Jeroen Geilman escribió:
            > On 10/12/2013 07:34 AM, asbaeza wrote:
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > I am getting some problems with my postfix installation. I use
            > > postfix+amavis+clamav+spamassassin in a Debian box.
            > >
            > > I recently changed from sendmail+canit pro to this configuration.
            > >
            > > The last error I get is something like:
            > > Command time limit exceeded: "procmail -a "$EXTENSION""
            >
            > Jeebus.
            > Why would you use procmail to dump mail to amavisd, which then calls
            > spamassassin ?
            > Just call amavisd directly - it has a working SMTP interface.

            Yes, you are right. It such an obvious thing that I did not realize it.
            I put off the command. Let's see now.

            > > But there are many messages not delivered with error messages like:
            > > Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL, apparently from you
            >
            > This is not a postfix message; I suggest you take it to the appropriate
            > forum.
            >
            > It may or may not be related to the timeout issue; if amavisd is run as
            > a procmail command then this will contribute to that procmail timeout.
            >
            > <snip numerous conflated symptoms and perceived errors>
            >
            > Don't blindly assume everything is interrelated.
            > A mail server system consists of many moving parts.

            Thank you very much Jeroen.
          • Armando Soto Baeza
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 12 10:05 AM
              El sáb, 12-10-2013 a las 08:13 -0400, Wietse Venema escribió:
              > asbaeza:
              > > Hi
              > >
              > > I am getting some problems with my postfix installation. I use
              > > postfix+amavis+clamav+spamassassin in a Debian box.
              > >
              > > I recently changed from sendmail+canit pro to this configuration.
              > >
              > > The last error I get is something like:
              > > Command time limit exceeded: "procmail -a "$EXTENSION""
              >
              > The problem is that your procmail commands take more than 1000 seconds
              > (17 minutes). You need to find out which procmail rule is too slow.
              >
              > Wietse

              Thank you Wietse.
            • asbaeza
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 14 1:19 PM
                It seems to be working well now, just setting off the procmail command.

                Thanks to all.