Re: Google rejecting IPv6 mails

    Message 1 of 64 , Oct 7, 2013
      Manuel Bieling:
      > On 2013.10.07 13:23:59 +0200, Andreas Herrmann wrote:
      > > Hi there,
      > >
      > > On 10/01/13 07:22, Dominik George wrote:
      > > > Yes, I also face that issue and have forced IPv4 on known Google domains.
      > >
      > > I also have those problems.
      > >
      > > Is there an easy way in postfix the transport to some doamins just over
      > > IPv4 and not IPv6?
      >
      > Wietse explained this a few weeks ago:

      And here is the corrected example in one place. BTW it seems the
      real fix is to set up one PTR record, with a matching AAAA record.

      /etc/postfix/transport:
      example.com smtp-ipv4-only:
      example.net smtp-ipv6-only:

      /etc/postfix/master.cf:
      smtp-ipv4-only unix - - n - - smtp
      -o inet_protocols=ipv4
      smtp-ipv6-only unix - - n - - smtp
      -o inet_protocols=ipv6

      /etc/postfix/main.cf:

      Execute "postmap hash:/etc/postfix/transport" and "postfix reload"
      after changing the transport map or master.cf.

      http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html

      Wietse
    • /dev/rob0
      Message 64 of 64 , Oct 13, 2013
        On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 09:26:12PM +0200, Dominik George wrote:
        > > There is, in fact, no reliable lsit of *all* mail hosts that will
        > > ever (as in, for a long time in the future) be the sending MTAs
        > > of Google-hosted domains.
        >
        > Apart from that, I am tired of implementing exceptions for each and
        > every big proprietary mail provider out there. If a company desires
        > to take part in federated e-mail communicaiton, I expect them to
        > set up there stuff the way others expect it. If there setup is too
        > huge to manage it without awkward tricks, like Google dynamically
        > assigning roles to servers and not even reliably using subnets,
        > whatever, for certain roles, then they are by definition not up to
        > the task of operating it, be it for conceptional or personnel
        > limitations. If we go ahead and teach all _other_ mail systems to
        > fit their needs, we effectively do the work their customers pay
        > them for.
        >
        > I am close to deciding not to opt-in to that and simply not
        > accepting their mail if I can't using standard configurations.

        Amen. Along those lines, Postfix 2.11 will be the most important
        minor version since the introduction of postscreen itself in 2.8. At
        last we can have the benefits of postscreen zombie detection without
        the pain of greylisting.

        Gmail and just about every big proprietary mail provider out there
        maintains lists of their hosts on dnswl.org. Postscreen with a
        relatively simple DNSBL configuration, including a negative point
        lookup for list.dnswl.org, will make this all very easy and low
        maintenance. (Consider signing up for dnswl.org yourself; it costs
        only a few minutes of your time.)

        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#postscreen_dnsbl_whitelist_threshold
        http://dnswl.org/

        My postscreen page, not yet updated for 2.11:
        http://rob0.nodns4.us/postscreen.html