Re: email address (user@domain.tld) as username?

  • Stefan Foerster
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2013
      * Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@...>:
      > On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:47:22PM +0200, Peer Heinlein wrote:
      > > Use dovecot with a simple passwd-file-setup in /etc/dovecot/userdb and a
      > > simple relay-domains setup in Postfix and you'll be ready after half an
      > > hour.
      >
      > Generally, with dovecot delivery to local files, the destination domain
      > should be a virtual mailbox domain, not a relay domain.

      Can you explain the main differences with those two setups? Whether
      the domain that is served by dovecot is in virtual_mailbox_domains or
      relay_domains doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

      virtual_mailbox_domains = example.com
      virtual_mailbox_maps = ${map}vmbox
      virtual_transport = dovecot

      relay_domains = example.com
      relay_recipient_maps = ${map}vmbox
      transport_maps = ${map}/foo
      # and there: "example.com dovecot:" or
      # "example.com lmtp:..."

      Granted, when LMTP delivery is used, the second setup makes it easier
      to use dynamic recipient verification, but apart from that, with maps
      available for Postfix... what's the difference? Both solutions seem
      pretty equivalent to me.

      Stefan
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2013
        Stefan Foerster:
        > * Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@...>:
        > > On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:47:22PM +0200, Peer Heinlein wrote:
        > > > Use dovecot with a simple passwd-file-setup in /etc/dovecot/userdb and a
        > > > simple relay-domains setup in Postfix and you'll be ready after half an
        > > > hour.
        > >
        > > Generally, with dovecot delivery to local files, the destination domain
        > > should be a virtual mailbox domain, not a relay domain.
        >
        > Can you explain the main differences with those two setups? Whether
        > the domain that is served by dovecot is in virtual_mailbox_domains or
        > relay_domains doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

        mydestination, virtual_mailbox_domains are preferred for final
        delivery. Here. Postfix is the final MTA. Example: postfix->dovecot.

        relay_domains is preferred for transit mail. Here, Postfix is not
        the final MTA. Example: postfix->exchange.

        Under the covers it is all bits and you can hook up Dovecot or Exchange
        in any address class, virtual, relay, whatever.

        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2013
          On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 08:25:48AM +0200, Stefan Foerster wrote:

          > * Viktor Dukhovni <postfix-users@...>:
          > > On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 12:47:22PM +0200, Peer Heinlein wrote:
          > > > Use dovecot with a simple passwd-file-setup in /etc/dovecot/userdb and a
          > > > simple relay-domains setup in Postfix and you'll be ready after half an
          > > > hour.
          > >
          > > Generally, with dovecot delivery to local files, the destination domain
          > > should be a virtual mailbox domain, not a relay domain.
          >
          > Can you explain the main differences with those two setups? Whether
          > the domain that is served by dovecot is in virtual_mailbox_domains or
          > relay_domains doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

          Others will *understand* your configuration. When you need actual
          relay domains in the future, there'll be a sensible address class
          to add them to that is not already overloaded for an unrelated
          purpose.

          > virtual_mailbox_domains = example.com
          > virtual_mailbox_maps = ${map}vmbox
          > virtual_transport = dovecot

          This is cleaner, no need for a transport entry for each domain.

          > relay_domains = example.com
          > relay_recipient_maps = ${map}vmbox
          > transport_maps = ${map}/foo
          > # and there: "example.com dovecot:" or
          > # "example.com lmtp:..."
          >
          > Granted, when LMTP delivery is used, the second setup makes it easier
          > to use dynamic recipient verification, but apart from that, with maps
          > available for Postfix... what's the difference? Both solutions seem
          > pretty equivalent to me.

          Even with LMTP delivery, I'd use virtual mailbox domains, an LMTP
          delivery is not an SMTP relay hop. You can do dynamic recipient
          verification with either address class.