Re: on send call command

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
      On 9/23/2013 11:08 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
      > I need to save the original, of all messages leaving the system.
      > Original meaning whatever postfix is going to send.
      >

      > This is not for testing or for auditing.
      > I will need this running in a production environment.
      >

      > always_bcc, if it does not modify the original message would be sufficient.
      > System logging would most likely be a kludge.

      You'll need both -- postfix logs to show where and when it was
      delivered, and the alway_bcc mailbox showing the contents.

      > On a side note, are you encrypting the queue files?

      Postfix has no option to encrypt the queue files, but the queue
      directory can reside on an encrypted drive or partition.

      -- Noel Jones
    • Tim Prepscius
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
        Ok I have two questions.

        1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

        2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

        -tim

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
          Tim Prepscius:
          > Ok I have two questions.
          >

          > 1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

          always_bcc does not change the headers or body.

          always_bcc adds one envelope recipient.

          > 2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

          http://www.postfix.org/CONTENT_INSPECTION_README.html

          There are several features that inspect mail before it is queued.

          Wietse
        • Tim Prepscius
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
            Ah..

            I think the
            http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

            is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

            Thank you for all the pointers so far,

            -tim

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
              On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:29:46PM -0400, Tim Prepscius wrote:

              > I think the
              >
              > http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html
              >
              > is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

              Also read http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

              Mail comes in, and then it goes out.

              On the input side all envelope and content transformations happen
              as the message is written to a queue file in the "incoming" queue
              by cleanup(8). This may involve milters and pre-queue SMTP proxy
              filters.

              On the output side, with smtp(8), mail is subject to smtp_generic_maps,
              and sometimes 8-bit to 7-bit MIME conversion.

              Between the input and output side, you can impose content filters
              (via deliveries to internal SMTP hops or to pipe(8) commands). The
              content filters may use the Postfix content_filter feature to operate
              within a single Postfix instance (or queue), or may sit between the
              input and output sides of a multi-instance Postfix configuration.

              After it leaves your system, mail may of course be modified by
              other systems before it is finally delivered to a recipient's
              mailbox.

              And of course keep in mind that email message envelopes with multiple
              recipients often split into multiple pieces as mail gets closer to
              the destination when not all recipient mailboxes reside in the same
              store.

              In particular, with always_bcc, the Bcc mailbox sees the message content,
              but not the other envelope recipients.

              Since you are trying to do advanced filtering with Postfix, you
              need a deeper understanding of the architecture more than any
              specific advice.

              Take time to understand how Postfix works,

              http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

              http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html
              http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html

              http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html