Re: on send call command

    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
      On 9/23/2013 9:18 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
      > No, I don't mean network dump.
      >
      > I mean the full mime-message.
      > With all the headers that have been attached during the postfix
      > process and by (in my case) java-mail, etc.
      >
      > For instance stuff like this:
      > Subject: Re: on send call command
      > To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
      > Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
      > From: wietse@... (Wietse Venema)
      > Sender: owner-postfix-users@...

      The queue file is identical to what is transmitted over the network.[1]

      Do you need to examine the message for testing, or for operational
      audit?

      For testing, pause delivery with "defer_transports = smtp" and
      examine the queue file with postcat -hbq QUEUEID, which will show
      exactly what postfix will send out.[1]

      If this is for operational audit, explain why always_bcc and system
      logging is insufficient.

      If this is for some other purpose, please explain your problem more
      clearly.

      [1] unless you've configured the optional smtp_header_checks,
      smtp_body_checks, or smtp_generic_maps, in which case your only
      choices are always_bcc or a network packet capture.

      -- Noel Jones
    • Tim Prepscius
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
        I need to save the original, of all messages leaving the system.
        Original meaning whatever postfix is going to send.

        This is not for testing or for auditing.
        I will need this running in a production environment.

        always_bcc, if it does not modify the original message would be sufficient.
        System logging would most likely be a kludge.

        On a side note, are you encrypting the queue files?

        -tim

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
          On 9/23/2013 11:08 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
          > I need to save the original, of all messages leaving the system.
          > Original meaning whatever postfix is going to send.
          >

          > This is not for testing or for auditing.
          > I will need this running in a production environment.
          >

          > always_bcc, if it does not modify the original message would be sufficient.
          > System logging would most likely be a kludge.

          You'll need both -- postfix logs to show where and when it was
          delivered, and the alway_bcc mailbox showing the contents.

          > On a side note, are you encrypting the queue files?

          Postfix has no option to encrypt the queue files, but the queue
          directory can reside on an encrypted drive or partition.

          -- Noel Jones
        • Tim Prepscius
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
            Ok I have two questions.

            1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

            2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

            -tim

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
              Tim Prepscius:
              > Ok I have two questions.
              >

              > 1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

              always_bcc does not change the headers or body.

              always_bcc adds one envelope recipient.

              > 2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

              http://www.postfix.org/CONTENT_INSPECTION_README.html

              There are several features that inspect mail before it is queued.

              Wietse
            • Tim Prepscius
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
                Ah..

                I think the
                http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

                is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

                Thank you for all the pointers so far,

                -tim

                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
                  On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:29:46PM -0400, Tim Prepscius wrote:

                  > I think the
                  >
                  > http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html
                  >
                  > is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

                  Also read http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

                  Mail comes in, and then it goes out.

                  On the input side all envelope and content transformations happen
                  as the message is written to a queue file in the "incoming" queue
                  by cleanup(8). This may involve milters and pre-queue SMTP proxy
                  filters.

                  On the output side, with smtp(8), mail is subject to smtp_generic_maps,
                  and sometimes 8-bit to 7-bit MIME conversion.

                  Between the input and output side, you can impose content filters
                  (via deliveries to internal SMTP hops or to pipe(8) commands). The
                  content filters may use the Postfix content_filter feature to operate
                  within a single Postfix instance (or queue), or may sit between the
                  input and output sides of a multi-instance Postfix configuration.

                  After it leaves your system, mail may of course be modified by
                  other systems before it is finally delivered to a recipient's
                  mailbox.

                  And of course keep in mind that email message envelopes with multiple
                  recipients often split into multiple pieces as mail gets closer to
                  the destination when not all recipient mailboxes reside in the same
                  store.

                  In particular, with always_bcc, the Bcc mailbox sees the message content,
                  but not the other envelope recipients.

                  Since you are trying to do advanced filtering with Postfix, you
                  need a deeper understanding of the architecture more than any
                  specific advice.

                  Take time to understand how Postfix works,

                  http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

                  http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html
                  http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html

                  http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html