Re: on send call command

  • Tim Prepscius
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23 3:06 PM
      I *do* want the mail to be sent. I just want to record exactly what
      it looks like before it gets sent out.

      -tim

      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 23 3:37 PM
        Tim Prepscius:
        > Hey,
        >
        > Again, thank you very much for the previous configuration questions.
        >

        > So, at the moment, when a mail is received it correctly spawns the
        > java process and does whatever it needs to do.
        >

        > I would also like to hook this same process in when a send event occurs.
        >
        > So:
        >
        > Bob talks to SMTP, sends an email from his account to some other
        > account, either on my domain, or another domain.
        >
        > Either when the mail is queued, or when it is actually sent, both
        > would be fine (although queued would be better in this case I think):
        > I would like postfix to call the same
        >
        > master.cf:
        > javapipe unix - n n - - pipe
        > user=postfix-user flags=DRhuX argv=java -jar
        > /home/postfix-user/PostfixMailReceiver.jar -args $recipient
        >
        > (although I would change $recipient to $sender (or whatever it might be))
        >

        > I'm looking at:
        > http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

        Why not monitor the mail logfile? It has the entire history
        of all deliveries, successful or not.

        Alternatively, you an use always_bcc to add a recipent that
        is notified of all email that passes through Postfix.
        http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_bcc

      • Tim Prepscius
        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23 3:55 PM
          Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.

          I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network, right before
          it is sent, or when it is queued.

          -tim

          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23 5:08 PM
            Tim Prepscius:
            > Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.
            >
            > I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network, right before
            > it is sent, or when it is queued.

            Postfix is not a network monitoring tool. Use tcpdump or Bro instead.

            Wietse
          • Tim Prepscius
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 23 7:18 PM
              No, I don't mean network dump.

              I mean the full mime-message.
              With all the headers that have been attached during the postfix
              process and by (in my case) java-mail, etc.

              For instance stuff like this:
              Subject: Re: on send call command
              To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
              Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
              From: wietse@... (Wietse Venema)
              Sender: owner-postfix-users@...

              Is there a way?

              -tim

              On 9/23/13, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
              > Tim Prepscius:
              >> Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.
              >>
              >> I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network, right before
              >> it is sent, or when it is queued.
              >
              > Postfix is not a network monitoring tool. Use tcpdump or Bro instead.
              >
              > Wietse

            • /dev/rob0
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 23 8:08 PM
                On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:18:42PM -0400, Tim Prepscius wrote:
                > On 9/23/13, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                > > Tim Prepscius:
                > >> Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.
                > >>
                > >> I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network,
                > >> right before it is sent, or when it is queued.
                > >
                > > Postfix is not a network monitoring tool. Use tcpdump or Bro
                > > instead.
                >
                > No, I don't mean network dump.
                >
                > I mean the full mime-message.
                > With all the headers that have been attached during the postfix
                > process and by (in my case) java-mail, etc.
                >
                > For instance stuff like this:
                > Subject: Re: on send call command
                > To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
                > Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
                > From: wietse@... (Wietse Venema)
                > Sender: owner-postfix-users@...
                >

                > Is there a way?

                Why was always_bcc, as suggested upthread, not adequate? Oh, that
                won't have your java-mail-added headers.

                I guess you want to either add another step into the mix, use a
                second instance as relayhost, and always_bcc from there; or just
                include this archiving functionality into your Java code.
              • Tim Prepscius
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 23 8:41 PM
                  Does always_bcc modify the original message?

                  Reading
                  http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_bcc

                  it suggests to me that it does. But perhaps I'm mistaken.
                  If it doesn't I could use it.

                  Are there any hooks along the message send path which I can get the
                  full mime message?

                  -tim

                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 23 8:46 PM
                    On 9/23/2013 9:18 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
                    > No, I don't mean network dump.
                    >
                    > I mean the full mime-message.
                    > With all the headers that have been attached during the postfix
                    > process and by (in my case) java-mail, etc.
                    >
                    > For instance stuff like this:
                    > Subject: Re: on send call command
                    > To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
                    > Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
                    > From: wietse@... (Wietse Venema)
                    > Sender: owner-postfix-users@...

                    The queue file is identical to what is transmitted over the network.[1]

                    Do you need to examine the message for testing, or for operational
                    audit?

                    For testing, pause delivery with "defer_transports = smtp" and
                    examine the queue file with postcat -hbq QUEUEID, which will show
                    exactly what postfix will send out.[1]

                    If this is for operational audit, explain why always_bcc and system
                    logging is insufficient.

                    If this is for some other purpose, please explain your problem more
                    clearly.

                    [1] unless you've configured the optional smtp_header_checks,
                    smtp_body_checks, or smtp_generic_maps, in which case your only
                    choices are always_bcc or a network packet capture.

                    -- Noel Jones
                  • Tim Prepscius
                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 23 9:08 PM
                      I need to save the original, of all messages leaving the system.
                      Original meaning whatever postfix is going to send.

                      This is not for testing or for auditing.
                      I will need this running in a production environment.

                      always_bcc, if it does not modify the original message would be sufficient.
                      System logging would most likely be a kludge.

                      On a side note, are you encrypting the queue files?

                      -tim

                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23 9:23 PM
                        On 9/23/2013 11:08 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
                        > I need to save the original, of all messages leaving the system.
                        > Original meaning whatever postfix is going to send.
                        >

                        > This is not for testing or for auditing.
                        > I will need this running in a production environment.
                        >

                        > always_bcc, if it does not modify the original message would be sufficient.
                        > System logging would most likely be a kludge.

                        You'll need both -- postfix logs to show where and when it was
                        delivered, and the alway_bcc mailbox showing the contents.

                        > On a side note, are you encrypting the queue files?

                        Postfix has no option to encrypt the queue files, but the queue
                        directory can reside on an encrypted drive or partition.

                        -- Noel Jones
                      • Tim Prepscius
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 24 5:04 AM
                          Ok I have two questions.

                          1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

                          2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

                          -tim

                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 24 5:46 AM
                            Tim Prepscius:
                            > Ok I have two questions.
                            >

                            > 1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

                            always_bcc does not change the headers or body.

                            always_bcc adds one envelope recipient.

                            > 2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

                            http://www.postfix.org/CONTENT_INSPECTION_README.html

                            There are several features that inspect mail before it is queued.

                            Wietse
                          • Tim Prepscius
                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 24 9:29 AM
                              Ah..

                              I think the
                              http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

                              is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

                              Thank you for all the pointers so far,

                              -tim

                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 24 9:48 AM
                                On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:29:46PM -0400, Tim Prepscius wrote:

                                > I think the
                                >
                                > http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html
                                >
                                > is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

                                Also read http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

                                Mail comes in, and then it goes out.

                                On the input side all envelope and content transformations happen
                                as the message is written to a queue file in the "incoming" queue
                                by cleanup(8). This may involve milters and pre-queue SMTP proxy
                                filters.

                                On the output side, with smtp(8), mail is subject to smtp_generic_maps,
                                and sometimes 8-bit to 7-bit MIME conversion.

                                Between the input and output side, you can impose content filters
                                (via deliveries to internal SMTP hops or to pipe(8) commands). The
                                content filters may use the Postfix content_filter feature to operate
                                within a single Postfix instance (or queue), or may sit between the
                                input and output sides of a multi-instance Postfix configuration.

                                After it leaves your system, mail may of course be modified by
                                other systems before it is finally delivered to a recipient's
                                mailbox.

                                And of course keep in mind that email message envelopes with multiple
                                recipients often split into multiple pieces as mail gets closer to
                                the destination when not all recipient mailboxes reside in the same
                                store.

                                In particular, with always_bcc, the Bcc mailbox sees the message content,
                                but not the other envelope recipients.

                                Since you are trying to do advanced filtering with Postfix, you
                                need a deeper understanding of the architecture more than any
                                specific advice.

                                Take time to understand how Postfix works,

                                http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

                                http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html
                                http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html

                                http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html