on send call command

  • Tim Prepscius
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
      Hey,

      Again, thank you very much for the previous configuration questions.

      So, at the moment, when a mail is received it correctly spawns the
      java process and does whatever it needs to do.

      I would also like to hook this same process in when a send event occurs.

      So:

      Bob talks to SMTP, sends an email from his account to some other
      account, either on my domain, or another domain.

      Either when the mail is queued, or when it is actually sent, both
      would be fine (although queued would be better in this case I think):
      I would like postfix to call the same

      master.cf:
      javapipe unix - n n - - pipe
      user=postfix-user flags=DRhuX argv=java -jar
      /home/postfix-user/PostfixMailReceiver.jar -args $recipient

      (although I would change $recipient to $sender (or whatever it might be))

      I'm looking at:
      http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

      I don't think I'm doing a filter though. Any hints?

      -tim
    • Tim Prepscius
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
        I *do* want the mail to be sent. I just want to record exactly what
        it looks like before it gets sent out.

        -tim

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
          Tim Prepscius:
          > Hey,
          >
          > Again, thank you very much for the previous configuration questions.
          >

          > So, at the moment, when a mail is received it correctly spawns the
          > java process and does whatever it needs to do.
          >

          > I would also like to hook this same process in when a send event occurs.
          >
          > So:
          >
          > Bob talks to SMTP, sends an email from his account to some other
          > account, either on my domain, or another domain.
          >
          > Either when the mail is queued, or when it is actually sent, both
          > would be fine (although queued would be better in this case I think):
          > I would like postfix to call the same
          >
          > master.cf:
          > javapipe unix - n n - - pipe
          > user=postfix-user flags=DRhuX argv=java -jar
          > /home/postfix-user/PostfixMailReceiver.jar -args $recipient
          >
          > (although I would change $recipient to $sender (or whatever it might be))
          >

          > I'm looking at:
          > http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

          Why not monitor the mail logfile? It has the entire history
          of all deliveries, successful or not.

          Alternatively, you an use always_bcc to add a recipent that
          is notified of all email that passes through Postfix.
          http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_bcc

        • Tim Prepscius
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
            Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.

            I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network, right before
            it is sent, or when it is queued.

            -tim

            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
              Tim Prepscius:
              > Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.
              >
              > I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network, right before
              > it is sent, or when it is queued.

              Postfix is not a network monitoring tool. Use tcpdump or Bro instead.

              Wietse
            • Tim Prepscius
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
                No, I don't mean network dump.

                I mean the full mime-message.
                With all the headers that have been attached during the postfix
                process and by (in my case) java-mail, etc.

                For instance stuff like this:
                Subject: Re: on send call command
                To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
                Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
                From: wietse@... (Wietse Venema)
                Sender: owner-postfix-users@...

                Is there a way?

                -tim

                On 9/23/13, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                > Tim Prepscius:
                >> Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.
                >>
                >> I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network, right before
                >> it is sent, or when it is queued.
                >
                > Postfix is not a network monitoring tool. Use tcpdump or Bro instead.
                >
                > Wietse

              • /dev/rob0
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
                  On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 10:18:42PM -0400, Tim Prepscius wrote:
                  > On 9/23/13, Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
                  > > Tim Prepscius:
                  > >> Umm, I'm looking for something more canonical.
                  > >>
                  > >> I want to get exactly what will be sent over the network,
                  > >> right before it is sent, or when it is queued.
                  > >
                  > > Postfix is not a network monitoring tool. Use tcpdump or Bro
                  > > instead.
                  >
                  > No, I don't mean network dump.
                  >
                  > I mean the full mime-message.
                  > With all the headers that have been attached during the postfix
                  > process and by (in my case) java-mail, etc.
                  >
                  > For instance stuff like this:
                  > Subject: Re: on send call command
                  > To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
                  > Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
                  > From: wietse@... (Wietse Venema)
                  > Sender: owner-postfix-users@...
                  >

                  > Is there a way?

                  Why was always_bcc, as suggested upthread, not adequate? Oh, that
                  won't have your java-mail-added headers.

                  I guess you want to either add another step into the mix, use a
                  second instance as relayhost, and always_bcc from there; or just
                  include this archiving functionality into your Java code.
                • Tim Prepscius
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
                    Does always_bcc modify the original message?

                    Reading
                    http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#always_bcc

                    it suggests to me that it does. But perhaps I'm mistaken.
                    If it doesn't I could use it.

                    Are there any hooks along the message send path which I can get the
                    full mime message?

                    -tim

                    Message 9 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
                      On 9/23/2013 9:18 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
                      > No, I don't mean network dump.
                      >
                      > I mean the full mime-message.
                      > With all the headers that have been attached during the postfix
                      > process and by (in my case) java-mail, etc.
                      >
                      > For instance stuff like this:
                      > Subject: Re: on send call command
                      > To: Postfix users <postfix-users@...>
                      > Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2013 20:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
                      > From: wietse@... (Wietse Venema)
                      > Sender: owner-postfix-users@...

                      The queue file is identical to what is transmitted over the network.[1]

                      Do you need to examine the message for testing, or for operational
                      audit?

                      For testing, pause delivery with "defer_transports = smtp" and
                      examine the queue file with postcat -hbq QUEUEID, which will show
                      exactly what postfix will send out.[1]

                      If this is for operational audit, explain why always_bcc and system
                      logging is insufficient.

                      If this is for some other purpose, please explain your problem more
                      clearly.

                      [1] unless you've configured the optional smtp_header_checks,
                      smtp_body_checks, or smtp_generic_maps, in which case your only
                      choices are always_bcc or a network packet capture.

                      -- Noel Jones
                    • Tim Prepscius
                      Message 10 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
                        I need to save the original, of all messages leaving the system.
                        Original meaning whatever postfix is going to send.

                        This is not for testing or for auditing.
                        I will need this running in a production environment.

                        always_bcc, if it does not modify the original message would be sufficient.
                        System logging would most likely be a kludge.

                        On a side note, are you encrypting the queue files?

                        -tim

                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 23, 2013
                          On 9/23/2013 11:08 PM, Tim Prepscius wrote:
                          > I need to save the original, of all messages leaving the system.
                          > Original meaning whatever postfix is going to send.
                          >

                          > This is not for testing or for auditing.
                          > I will need this running in a production environment.
                          >

                          > always_bcc, if it does not modify the original message would be sufficient.
                          > System logging would most likely be a kludge.

                          You'll need both -- postfix logs to show where and when it was
                          delivered, and the alway_bcc mailbox showing the contents.

                          > On a side note, are you encrypting the queue files?

                          Postfix has no option to encrypt the queue files, but the queue
                          directory can reside on an encrypted drive or partition.

                          -- Noel Jones
                        • Tim Prepscius
                          Message 12 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
                            Ok I have two questions.

                            1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

                            2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

                            -tim

                            Message 13 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
                              Tim Prepscius:
                              > Ok I have two questions.
                              >

                              > 1. Does always_bcc modify the original message?

                              always_bcc does not change the headers or body.

                              always_bcc adds one envelope recipient.

                              > 2. Could I somehow plug in to whatever is queueing the message to disk?

                              http://www.postfix.org/CONTENT_INSPECTION_README.html

                              There are several features that inspect mail before it is queued.

                              Wietse
                            • Tim Prepscius
                              Message 14 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
                                Ah..

                                I think the
                                http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html

                                is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

                                Thank you for all the pointers so far,

                                -tim

                                Message 15 of 15 , Sep 24, 2013
                                  On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 12:29:46PM -0400, Tim Prepscius wrote:

                                  > I think the
                                  >
                                  > http://www.postfix.org/FILTER_README.html
                                  >
                                  > is what I need -- perhaps -- I'll find out.

                                  Also read http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html

                                  Mail comes in, and then it goes out.

                                  On the input side all envelope and content transformations happen
                                  as the message is written to a queue file in the "incoming" queue
                                  by cleanup(8). This may involve milters and pre-queue SMTP proxy
                                  filters.

                                  On the output side, with smtp(8), mail is subject to smtp_generic_maps,
                                  and sometimes 8-bit to 7-bit MIME conversion.

                                  Between the input and output side, you can impose content filters
                                  (via deliveries to internal SMTP hops or to pipe(8) commands). The
                                  content filters may use the Postfix content_filter feature to operate
                                  within a single Postfix instance (or queue), or may sit between the
                                  input and output sides of a multi-instance Postfix configuration.

                                  After it leaves your system, mail may of course be modified by
                                  other systems before it is finally delivered to a recipient's
                                  mailbox.

                                  And of course keep in mind that email message envelopes with multiple
                                  recipients often split into multiple pieces as mail gets closer to
                                  the destination when not all recipient mailboxes reside in the same
                                  store.

                                  In particular, with always_bcc, the Bcc mailbox sees the message content,
                                  but not the other envelope recipients.

                                  Since you are trying to do advanced filtering with Postfix, you
                                  need a deeper understanding of the architecture more than any
                                  specific advice.

                                  Take time to understand how Postfix works,

                                  http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

                                  http://www.postfix.org/MILTER_README.html
                                  http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_PROXY_README.html

                                  http://www.postfix.org/QSHAPE_README.html