Re: STOPPING SPAM FROM COMPROMISED ACCOUNTS.

  • John Hinton
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 22, 2013
      On 9/21/2013 7:10 PM, Homer Wilson Smith wrote:

      > I have an outgoing-only mail server for our customers called
      > smtp.lightlink.com. It only allows relaying from local IP's,
      > and known virtual domains if remote users wish to use it.
      >
      > We were fine when we were running pop before smtp authentication,
      > but I was forced to also allow SASL authentication.
      >
      > More and more people are having their passwords compromised, I
      > have no idea how it happens, one person had it compromised twice in
      > one day after I changed it the first time.
      >
      > There are no false tries on the user account, until the spam
      > starts coming in with the correct password, then its 64,000 pieces of
      > mail forever and ever until I stop it.
      >
      > So one, how are passwords being compromised with out brute force
      > attacks showing up on the server?

      I have had a few clients over the last few months that apparently had a
      key tracker virus on their systems. Same problem. Password stolen. Reset
      password... password stolen again in just a few hours. Customers removed
      viruses from computer. Problem stopped.

      --
      John Hinton
      877-777-1407 ext 502
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 23, 2013
        On 21 Sep 2013, at 18:48 , Wietse Venema <wietse@...> wrote:
        > Use postfwd (www.postfdw.org) or the like to rate-limit mail clients.

        tyop, the url is http://www.postfwd.org

        (yes, it took me two tries to figure out what was wrong with it)

        --
        "Queen Isabella and King Ferdinand kicked 200,000 Jews out of Spain, one
        of the first acts of the Spanish Inquisition, which no one ever expects