Re: Do not forward spam

  • Kris Deugau
    Message 1 of 36 , Sep 20, 2013
      azurIt wrote:

      > I don't believe in rejecting e-mails based on spam checks - there are and always be false positives. I will rather accept 100 spams than reject single legitimate e-mail message.

      Spam volume these days is such that accepting, processing, and storing
      **all** mail is becoming more and more unworkable, especially with a
      situation like you're asking about where that stream of garbage is
      forwarded out of your system to a system that *does* reject some volume
      of spam (or blocks your system outright if you send them too much spam).

      Depending on how you count, we reject anywhere from 50% to 90% of our
      total mail volume based on a Spamhaus lookup. Aside from an incident
      where a Postini netblock got listed for a little while, I don't think I
      recall *any* false positives over several years.

      To more directly answer your original question, it would help if you
      posted an overview of your mail flow. It sounds like your forwarding is
      done via alias rather than .forward or some similar processing on final
      local delivery; choosing a different place for your forwarding may help
      cut the volume of forwarded spam.

      -kgd
    • FliedRice
      Message 36 of 36 , Sep 28, 2013
        I have 10 years of sending emails, (because I have e-card sites), and due to
        the volume
        I get a lot of incoming spam. I would like to suggest to you that you are
        not going to stop
        all spam, 100% all the time, no matter what you do. And Though I understand
        your desire to
        to accept all the emails at your server, that leaves you with a bit of a
        backwards conundrum.

        I think you would do well to pay attention to this... At one level you could
        be playing with
        fire by forwarding all these emails. Each ISP has their own filter systems
        in place, and some
        of them integrate services such as SpamHaus or Spamcop. *I have seen emails
        rejected because
        of blacklisted IP addresses and/or blacklisted domain names in the emails.
        So if you forward
        emails that contain blacklisted IP's or domains you are likely to run into
        some difficulty.* For
        that reason alone I would personally attempt to block more known incoming
        spam using DNSBL's,
        especially using the two I have just mentioned. Amongst others, I personally
        use:
        reject_rbl_client sbl.spamhaus.org, reject_rbl_client xbl.spamhaus.org,
        reject_rbl_client bl.spamcop.net

        If emails are rejected by the clients above, it's generally going to be for
        a good reason, though
        not 100% foolproof, it's a pretty safe bet to use them, and certainly more
        accurate than spam
        filters. In doing so, you will knock down wasted emails, system resources,
        and time. But you may
        also help prevent yourself from getting RED flagged for having blacklisted
        IP's and domain names in
        your outgoing emails.

        Beyond that, shy of manually approving all the other incoming emails before
        forwarding, I would suggest that you consider other options. *AOL has a
        "approved senders list" for it's users*, the users input what email
        addresses they will accept email from, "whitelisting", and the rest is
        rejected. You could do something similiar, even if you simply trash the
        emails that are not on the whitelists. You probably could set it up so that
        any email address in any users contact list simply be added to the
        whitelisting.

        -----
        Free English
        & Spanish
        Ecards for Birthdays, Christmas , holidays, Valentines , Love , & just because!