OT? Help identify source of this error message.

  • John Allen
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 15, 2013
      I am getting the following error message in my mail log:

      Sep 15 22:22:17 bilbo postfix/smtpd[2319]: warning: Illegal address
      syntax from localhost.lan[127.0.0.1] in RCPT command:
      <postmaster@!change-mydomain-variable!.example.com>

      I think it is coming from spamassassin, but I cannot find it in any of
      the various spamassassin files.

      TIA
      John A
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 15, 2013
        On 9/15/2013 9:47 PM, John Allen wrote:
        > I am getting the following error message in my mail log:
        >
        > Sep 15 22:22:17 bilbo postfix/smtpd[2319]: warning: Illegal address
        > syntax from localhost.lan[127.0.0.1] in RCPT command:
        > <postmaster@!change-mydomain-variable!.example.com>
        >
        > I think it is coming from spamassassin, but I cannot find it in any
        > of the various spamassassin files.
        >
        > TIA
        > John A

        A quick web search seems to indicate this message is from
        amavisd-new. Either from not setting the $mydomain variable, or
        possibly from an incorrect distribution-specific configuration that
        tries to use $mydomain before it's set.

        Followups to the amavis users list please.
      • John Allen
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 15, 2013
          On 15/09/2013 11:08 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
          > On 9/15/2013 9:47 PM, John Allen wrote:
          >> I am getting the following error message in my mail log:
          >>
          >> Sep 15 22:22:17 bilbo postfix/smtpd[2319]: warning: Illegal address
          >> syntax from localhost.lan[127.0.0.1] in RCPT command:
          >> <postmaster@!change-mydomain-variable!.example.com>
          >>
          >> I think it is coming from spamassassin, but I cannot find it in any
          >> of the various spamassassin files.
          >>
          >> TIA
          >> John A
          >

          > A quick web search seems to indicate this message is from
          > amavisd-new. Either from not setting the $mydomain variable, or
          > possibly from an incorrect distribution-specific configuration that
          > tries to use $mydomain before it's set.
          >
          > Followups to the amavis users list please.

          Thanks, in this particular case Google was not my friend!