Re: 1 mail being stuck in incoming mail queue.

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 11, 2013
      Wietse Venema:
      > Josh Cason:
      > > I have this 1 email from 1 company from 1 person who for some
      > > reason gets stuck in the incoming folder. Mail After it goes
      > > through. Mail Before it goes through. The maillog show the message
      > > showing up. Then that is it. The file stays in chmod 600. I found
      >
      > A file with mode 600 in the incoming queue means that the file is
      > incomplete, and that the cleanup daemon process was killed before
      > it got a chance to remove the incomplete file.

      .. or that the cleanup process is still running, perhaps
      looping on a bad header_checks or body_checks pattern.
      In that case the process will be killed by a watchdog
      timer and leave a suitable warning in the maillog file.

      Wietse
    • Josh Cason
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 11, 2013
        The two entries in log file. I change a few things to protect my mail
        server, client and sender. But you should get the idea.
        This is how my mailserver system is setup.

        cisco router - assp spam filter - postfix mailserver with mailscanner.

        It is suspose to go to the hold folder. So MailScanner can pick it up. But
        never makes it to that folder. I thought perhaps the assp was cutting out to
        soon on the message. I have some disconnects around that time. But if that
        was the case I thought I would have found more. But I observered most of the
        day and have been running this assp setup for 2 months. Everything goes
        fine. Before that was postini - router - postfix with mailscanner. I did
        check the assp log and say the message went just fine. No errors. Thinking
        maybe it was disconnecting to soon. But the servers are on the same shelve
        with the same switch on the same network.

        I asked my client if the if there customer was sending the mail was getting
        a error message. He did not know. They just know the email was not showing
        up. So I checked my normal spots. No dice. Then that is when I found it
        stuck in the incoming folder.

        I see the email three times in the log. All next to each other. I see the
        connection from my spam filter. The hold header on the messag and the third
        time with a message id.

        Sep 11 17:29:38 primary postfix/cleanup[25098]: 054AC10D800E: hold: header
        [172.16.0.188])??by primary.mydomain.cc
        ) with ESMTP id 054AC10D800E??for <customer@...>; Wed,
        11 Sep 2013 17:29:36 -0600 (M from
        spamfilter.mydomain.com[172.16.0.188]; from=<sender@...> to=
        <customer@...> proto=ESMTP helo=<BOZO2.onsite.local>
        Sep 11 17:29:38 primary postfix/cleanup[25098]: 054AC10D800E:
        message-id=<4e653ecbe3cd403bb
        5254d7554e43fd9@...>

        I hope this helps some more. Unelss I need to turn on debugging or missing
        it. I didn't see any error messages in the maillog. That the first thing I
        looked for was error messages. Then I have something to follow.

        Thanks,

        Josh

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 19, 2013
          On 09/12/2013 03:17 AM, Josh Cason wrote:
          > The two entries in log file. I change a few things to protect my mail
          > server, client and sender. But you should get the idea.
          > This is how my mailserver system is setup.
          >
          > cisco router - assp spam filter - postfix mailserver with mailscanner.

          Mailscanner directly manipulates the postfix queue directories.
          As documented, this is NOT supported, and is more than likely the cause
          of your issue.

          Don't use Mailscanner.

          --
          J.