Re: blocked by Verizon & Hotmail?

  • PrzemysÅ‚aw Orzechowski
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
      W dniu 05.09.2013 13:31, Grant pisze:
      > I think I'm being blocked by verizon.net and hotmail.com. I get
      > Undelivered Mail messages like this:
      >
      > <MASKED@...>: host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] said: 550
      > 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: MASKED@... (in reply to RCPT
      > TO command)
      >
      > <MASKED@...>: host mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126] said: 550
      > Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (in reply to RCPT TO
      > command)
      >
      > I certainly don't spam or listwash (or any other sort of shadiness).
      > Can anyone help me out with advice on this?
      >
      > - Grant

      Both messages indicate (most probably) that destination email address
      does not exist.
    • Grant
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
        >> I think I'm being blocked by verizon.net and hotmail.com. I get
        >> Undelivered Mail messages like this:
        >>
        >> <MASKED@...>: host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] said: 550
        >> 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: MASKED@... (in reply to RCPT
        >> TO command)
        >>
        >> <MASKED@...>: host mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126] said: 550
        >> Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (in reply to RCPT TO
        >> command)
        >>
        >> I certainly don't spam or listwash (or any other sort of shadiness).
        >> Can anyone help me out with advice on this?
        >>
        >> - Grant
        >>
        > Both messages indicate (most probably) that destination email address does
        > not exist.

        Excellent news! I read that those messages *can* mean I was blocked
        by policy, but I'm glad to find out they can also mean the user
        doesn't exist which is much more likely. I checked my IP for
        blacklists recently.

        postfix would not log a 250 if I were blocked, correct? If not, I
        suppose the log is a good way to figure out if it's a block.

        - Grant
      • FliedRice
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
          I have nearly ten years experience with sending emails thru a newsletter.
          BOTH of the undelivered email examples are due to INVALID EMAIL ADDRESSES.

          If Verizon blocks you, they will supply you a clear message and a link.

          Hotmail can block you and tell you why, but they can also just deny your
          connection.
          But the message you have here is simply do to the email being invalid. So if
          your
          connection is denied or you get an error message from hotmail then
          you will know.

          You can resolve issues with Verizon here, (better now than later):
          http://my.verizon.com/micro/whitelist/

          And Hotmail Here, (better now than later):
          http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx

          https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&ct=eformts

          -----
          Free English
          & Spanish
          Ecards for Birthdays, Christmas, holidays, love, & just because!
        • Jim Wright
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
            On Sep 5, 2013, at 5:34 PM, FliedRice <thepureflow@...> wrote:

            > I have nearly ten years experience with sending emails thru a newsletter.
            > BOTH of the undelivered email examples are due to INVALID EMAIL ADDRESSES.

            The next task will to find out why your server is sending to invalid addresses, too much of this just might find your server being blocked. If this continues, you may get flagged as a spam source.

            You need to find some process to automatically prune your mail list to drop these invalid addresses.
          • FliedRice
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
              Jim is absolutely correct about filtering your invalid emails, though I
              personally would
              never do it automatically, as there are too many variables to distinguish
              between
              ISP's that are subject to change. You could lose a lot of valid subscribers
              via
              automated filtering. The bounces that come back to my server are piped to an
              email account on the server. I then use a program to download them manually
              <http://www.boogietools.com> , the program filters and separates them into
              categories such as
              hard bounces, soft bounces and mail blocks. I then decide which ones to
              remove
              from my lists, at this present time soft, hard, general, and transient
              bounces are
              removed. However there is one automated program I know of here
              <https://www.inboxresponse.com> . You just can't keep sending without
              filtering out the bad ones, it will
              get you blocked, banned, and blacklisted, so this is a high priority issue.
              You should
              also make sure that you have reverse dns correctly set up as well as a spf
              record
              <http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/>
              .
              You can check your servers black listings here <http://multirbl.valli.org>
              ,
              and you will see if your RDNS is currently set up correctly. You should also
              consider
              setting up feedback loops with Hotmail
              <http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx> and AOL
              <http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Reputation.php> . As well as
              some of the other suggestions they may have individually. With AOL you can
              apply for
              whitelisting after you have a feedback loop in place. With Hotmail, there is
              a feedback loop
              <https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsjmrpp&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts>
              ,
              an account with Smart Network Data Services
              <https://postmaster.live.com/snds/index.aspx> , Return Path
              <http://www.returnpath.net> , which are free. You will
              need a hotmail email account for the SMDS. The bulk sender contact form for
              Gmail is here <https://support.google.com/mail/contact/bulk_send> . You can
              contact Yahoo here
              <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html> , but that
              requires a yahoo account, you must
              be signed into your account when using this form, otherwise nothing will
              happen. Also check out
              SPF vs Sender ID <http://www.openspf.org/SPF_vs_Sender_ID> Other than
              that,
              welcome to an ongoing headache!

              -----
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
                >> I have nearly ten years experience with sending emails thru a newsletter.
                >> BOTH of the undelivered email examples are due to INVALID EMAIL ADDRESSES.
                >
                > The next task will to find out why your server is sending to invalid addresses, too much of this just might find your server being blocked. If this continues, you may get flagged as a spam source.
                >
                > You need to find some process to automatically prune your mail list to drop these invalid addresses.

                I only get about 3 bounces per day so I'm hoping I can put that off for awhile.

                - Grant
              • Grant
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
                  > Jim is absolutely correct about filtering your invalid emails, though I
                  > personally would
                  > never do it automatically, as there are too many variables to distinguish
                  > between
                  > ISP's that are subject to change. You could lose a lot of valid subscribers
                  > via
                  > automated filtering. The bounces that come back to my server are piped to an
                  > email account on the server. I then use a program to download them manually
                  > <http://www.boogietools.com> , the program filters and separates them into
                  > categories such as
                  > hard bounces, soft bounces and mail blocks. I then decide which ones to
                  > remove
                  > from my lists, at this present time soft, hard, general, and transient
                  > bounces are
                  > removed. However there is one automated program I know of here
                  > <https://www.inboxresponse.com> . You just can't keep sending without
                  > filtering out the bad ones, it will
                  > get you blocked, banned, and blacklisted, so this is a high priority issue.
                  > You should
                  > also make sure that you have reverse dns correctly set up as well as a spf
                  > record
                  > <http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/>
                  > .
                  > You can check your servers black listings here <http://multirbl.valli.org>
                  > ,
                  > and you will see if your RDNS is currently set up correctly. You should also
                  > consider
                  > setting up feedback loops with Hotmail
                  > <http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx> and AOL
                  > <http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Reputation.php> . As well as
                  > some of the other suggestions they may have individually. With AOL you can
                  > apply for
                  > whitelisting after you have a feedback loop in place. With Hotmail, there is
                  > a feedback loop
                  > <https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsjmrpp&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts>
                  > ,
                  > an account with Smart Network Data Services
                  > <https://postmaster.live.com/snds/index.aspx> , Return Path
                  > <http://www.returnpath.net> , which are free. You will
                  > need a hotmail email account for the SMDS. The bulk sender contact form for
                  > Gmail is here <https://support.google.com/mail/contact/bulk_send> . You can
                  > contact Yahoo here
                  > <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html> , but that
                  > requires a yahoo account, you must
                  > be signed into your account when using this form, otherwise nothing will
                  > happen. Also check out
                  > SPF vs Sender ID <http://www.openspf.org/SPF_vs_Sender_ID> Other than
                  > that,
                  > welcome to an ongoing headache!