blocked by Verizon & Hotmail?

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
      I think I'm being blocked by verizon.net and hotmail.com. I get
      Undelivered Mail messages like this:

      <MASKED@...>: host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] said: 550
      5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: MASKED@... (in reply to RCPT
      TO command)

      <MASKED@...>: host mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126] said: 550
      Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (in reply to RCPT TO
      command)

      I certainly don't spam or listwash (or any other sort of shadiness).
      Can anyone help me out with advice on this?

      - Grant
    • Przemys┼éaw Orzechowski
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
        W dniu 05.09.2013 13:31, Grant pisze:
        > I think I'm being blocked by verizon.net and hotmail.com. I get
        > Undelivered Mail messages like this:
        >
        > <MASKED@...>: host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] said: 550
        > 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: MASKED@... (in reply to RCPT
        > TO command)
        >
        > <MASKED@...>: host mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126] said: 550
        > Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (in reply to RCPT TO
        > command)
        >
        > I certainly don't spam or listwash (or any other sort of shadiness).
        > Can anyone help me out with advice on this?
        >
        > - Grant

        Both messages indicate (most probably) that destination email address
        does not exist.
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
          >> I think I'm being blocked by verizon.net and hotmail.com. I get
          >> Undelivered Mail messages like this:
          >>
          >> <MASKED@...>: host relay.verizon.net[206.46.232.11] said: 550
          >> 5.1.1 unknown or illegal alias: MASKED@... (in reply to RCPT
          >> TO command)
          >>
          >> <MASKED@...>: host mx3.hotmail.com[65.54.188.126] said: 550
          >> Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable (in reply to RCPT TO
          >> command)
          >>
          >> I certainly don't spam or listwash (or any other sort of shadiness).
          >> Can anyone help me out with advice on this?
          >>
          >> - Grant
          >>
          > Both messages indicate (most probably) that destination email address does
          > not exist.

          Excellent news! I read that those messages *can* mean I was blocked
          by policy, but I'm glad to find out they can also mean the user
          doesn't exist which is much more likely. I checked my IP for
          blacklists recently.

          postfix would not log a 250 if I were blocked, correct? If not, I
          suppose the log is a good way to figure out if it's a block.

          - Grant
        • FliedRice
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
            I have nearly ten years experience with sending emails thru a newsletter.
            BOTH of the undelivered email examples are due to INVALID EMAIL ADDRESSES.

            If Verizon blocks you, they will supply you a clear message and a link.

            Hotmail can block you and tell you why, but they can also just deny your
            connection.
            But the message you have here is simply do to the email being invalid. So if
            your
            connection is denied or you get an error message from hotmail then
            you will know.

            You can resolve issues with Verizon here, (better now than later):
            http://my.verizon.com/micro/whitelist/

            And Hotmail Here, (better now than later):
            http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx

            https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&ct=eformts

            -----
            Free English
            & Spanish
            Ecards for Birthdays, Christmas, holidays, love, & just because!
          • Jim Wright
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
              On Sep 5, 2013, at 5:34 PM, FliedRice <thepureflow@...> wrote:

              > I have nearly ten years experience with sending emails thru a newsletter.
              > BOTH of the undelivered email examples are due to INVALID EMAIL ADDRESSES.

              The next task will to find out why your server is sending to invalid addresses, too much of this just might find your server being blocked. If this continues, you may get flagged as a spam source.

              You need to find some process to automatically prune your mail list to drop these invalid addresses.
            • FliedRice
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
                Jim is absolutely correct about filtering your invalid emails, though I
                personally would
                never do it automatically, as there are too many variables to distinguish
                between
                ISP's that are subject to change. You could lose a lot of valid subscribers
                via
                automated filtering. The bounces that come back to my server are piped to an
                email account on the server. I then use a program to download them manually
                <http://www.boogietools.com> , the program filters and separates them into
                categories such as
                hard bounces, soft bounces and mail blocks. I then decide which ones to
                remove
                from my lists, at this present time soft, hard, general, and transient
                bounces are
                removed. However there is one automated program I know of here
                <https://www.inboxresponse.com> . You just can't keep sending without
                filtering out the bad ones, it will
                get you blocked, banned, and blacklisted, so this is a high priority issue.
                You should
                also make sure that you have reverse dns correctly set up as well as a spf
                record
                <http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/>
                .
                You can check your servers black listings here <http://multirbl.valli.org>
                ,
                and you will see if your RDNS is currently set up correctly. You should also
                consider
                setting up feedback loops with Hotmail
                <http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx> and AOL
                <http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Reputation.php> . As well as
                some of the other suggestions they may have individually. With AOL you can
                apply for
                whitelisting after you have a feedback loop in place. With Hotmail, there is
                a feedback loop
                <https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsjmrpp&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts>
                ,
                an account with Smart Network Data Services
                <https://postmaster.live.com/snds/index.aspx> , Return Path
                <http://www.returnpath.net> , which are free. You will
                need a hotmail email account for the SMDS. The bulk sender contact form for
                Gmail is here <https://support.google.com/mail/contact/bulk_send> . You can
                contact Yahoo here
                <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html> , but that
                requires a yahoo account, you must
                be signed into your account when using this form, otherwise nothing will
                happen. Also check out
                SPF vs Sender ID <http://www.openspf.org/SPF_vs_Sender_ID> Other than
                that,
                welcome to an ongoing headache!

                -----
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
                  >> I have nearly ten years experience with sending emails thru a newsletter.
                  >> BOTH of the undelivered email examples are due to INVALID EMAIL ADDRESSES.
                  >
                  > The next task will to find out why your server is sending to invalid addresses, too much of this just might find your server being blocked. If this continues, you may get flagged as a spam source.
                  >
                  > You need to find some process to automatically prune your mail list to drop these invalid addresses.

                  I only get about 3 bounces per day so I'm hoping I can put that off for awhile.

                  - Grant
                • Grant
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 13, 2013
                    > Jim is absolutely correct about filtering your invalid emails, though I
                    > personally would
                    > never do it automatically, as there are too many variables to distinguish
                    > between
                    > ISP's that are subject to change. You could lose a lot of valid subscribers
                    > via
                    > automated filtering. The bounces that come back to my server are piped to an
                    > email account on the server. I then use a program to download them manually
                    > <http://www.boogietools.com> , the program filters and separates them into
                    > categories such as
                    > hard bounces, soft bounces and mail blocks. I then decide which ones to
                    > remove
                    > from my lists, at this present time soft, hard, general, and transient
                    > bounces are
                    > removed. However there is one automated program I know of here
                    > <https://www.inboxresponse.com> . You just can't keep sending without
                    > filtering out the bad ones, it will
                    > get you blocked, banned, and blacklisted, so this is a high priority issue.
                    > You should
                    > also make sure that you have reverse dns correctly set up as well as a spf
                    > record
                    > <http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/safety/content/technologies/senderid/wizard/>
                    > .
                    > You can check your servers black listings here <http://multirbl.valli.org>
                    > ,
                    > and you will see if your RDNS is currently set up correctly. You should also
                    > consider
                    > setting up feedback loops with Hotmail
                    > <http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx> and AOL
                    > <http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Reputation.php> . As well as
                    > some of the other suggestions they may have individually. With AOL you can
                    > apply for
                    > whitelisting after you have a feedback loop in place. With Hotmail, there is
                    > a feedback loop
                    > <https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsjmrpp&page=support_home_options_form_byemail&ct=eformts>
                    > ,
                    > an account with Smart Network Data Services
                    > <https://postmaster.live.com/snds/index.aspx> , Return Path
                    > <http://www.returnpath.net> , which are free. You will
                    > need a hotmail email account for the SMDS. The bulk sender contact form for
                    > Gmail is here <https://support.google.com/mail/contact/bulk_send> . You can
                    > contact Yahoo here
                    > <http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/postmaster/bulkv2.html> , but that
                    > requires a yahoo account, you must
                    > be signed into your account when using this form, otherwise nothing will
                    > happen. Also check out
                    > SPF vs Sender ID <http://www.openspf.org/SPF_vs_Sender_ID> Other than
                    > that,
                    > welcome to an ongoing headache!