ISP has no reverse DNS for ip address

  • Roman Gelfand
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
      On every machine, at different locations, I have tried "dig -x ip
      address" and it works correctly.

      I have 4 messages stuck in a queue which are complaining about the
      very thing that works.

      refused to talk to me: 451 Sender's ISP has no reverse DNS for ip address

      Can somebody tell me what is going on?

      Thanks in advance
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
        On 9/1/2013 6:57 PM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
        > On every machine, at different locations, I have tried "dig -x ip
        > address" and it works correctly.
        >
        > I have 4 messages stuck in a queue which are complaining about the
        > very thing that works.
        >
        > refused to talk to me: 451 Sender's ISP has no reverse DNS for ip address
        >
        > Can somebody tell me what is going on?

        It appears the recipient is unable to find your rDNS. You might
        check your setup with some external tools, or maybe the recipient's
        DNS is broken.

        Or the reason given could be incorrect, and they don't want your
        mail for some other reason. If your DNS looks OK, you'll need to
        contact their postmaster.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Peter
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
          On 09/02/2013 12:11 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
          > On 9/1/2013 6:57 PM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
          >> On every machine, at different locations, I have tried "dig -x ip
          >> address" and it works correctly.
          >>
          >> I have 4 messages stuck in a queue which are complaining about the
          >> very thing that works.
          >>
          >> refused to talk to me: 451 Sender's ISP has no reverse DNS for ip address
          >>
          >> Can somebody tell me what is going on?
          >
          > It appears the recipient is unable to find your rDNS. You might
          > check your setup with some external tools, or maybe the recipient's
          > DNS is broken.
          >
          > Or the reason given could be incorrect, and they don't want your
          > mail for some other reason. If your DNS looks OK, you'll need to
          > contact their postmaster.

          A lot of times the complaint is about RDNS when they really mean FCRDNS.
          Check that forward records match as well before you go off complaining
          to the other postmaster.

          Peter
        • Roman Gelfand
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
            But these emails ultimately do get sent out. It could take a long time.
            To me it sounds odd that they don't know their DNS lookups are screwed
            up. And if they do know, why are they placing such strict constraints
            on incoming mail.
            On 09/02/2013 12:11 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
            > On 9/1/2013 6:57 PM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
            >> On every machine, at different locations, I have tried "dig -x ip
            >> address" and it works correctly.
            >>
            >> I have 4 messages stuck in a queue which are complaining about the
            >> very thing that works.
            >>
            >> refused to talk to me: 451 Sender's ISP has no reverse DNS for ip address
            >>
            >> Can somebody tell me what is going on?
            >
            > It appears the recipient is unable to find your rDNS. You might
            > check your setup with some external tools, or maybe the recipient's
            > DNS is broken.
            >
            > Or the reason given could be incorrect, and they don't want your
            > mail for some other reason. If your DNS looks OK, you'll need to
            > contact their postmaster.

            A lot of times the complaint is about RDNS when they really mean FCRDNS.
            Check that forward records match as well before you go off complaining
            to the other postmaster.

            Peter
          • Michael Orlitzky
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
              On 09/01/2013 08:47 PM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
              > But these emails ultimately do get sent out. It could take a long time.
              > To me it sounds odd that they don't know their DNS lookups are screwed
              > up. And if they do know, why are they placing such strict constraints
              > on incoming mail.

              Usually there are two or more ISP servers responsible for your block's
              reverse DNS (or for delegating it). I'd make sure they all return the
              same thing.
            • Stan Hoeppner
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013
                On 9/1/2013 6:57 PM, Roman Gelfand wrote:
                > On every machine, at different locations, I have tried "dig -x ip
                > address" and it works correctly.
                >
                > I have 4 messages stuck in a queue which are complaining about the
                > very thing that works.
                >
                > refused to talk to me: 451 Sender's ISP has no reverse DNS for ip address

                Provide IP of Postfix host being rejected. Provide log entry
                corresponding to this NDR.

                Roman you've been on this list long enough to know you need to provide
                this information. You've read the posting guidelines, yes?

                --
                Stan