Re: email from comcast.net is bouncing

  • Grant
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2013

      >>> Looks as if you've found the problem.
      >>>
      >>> Make sure your master.cf has an entry like:
      >>>
      >>> dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
      >>
      >> Thank you. I added it and restarted postfix and started to get errors
      >> like these:
      >
      > Postfix always add missing master.cf entries automatically as part
      > of the upgrade procedure. You can break this by restoring an old
      > file after the upgrade.

      I'm on Gentoo and I use the etc-update script to update config files
      after upgrading. Should dnsblog be uncommented in a default
      master.cf? If so I may need to file a Gentoo bug.

      >> Is there a way to verify that everything is working properly?
      >
      > Watch the logs for errors or unexpected behavior.

      I see that the following message received a 450. The IP is not listed
      at dnswl.org and when I look it up it appears to come from China. Is
      this a spoof?

      NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from [183.8.195.26]:3302: 450 4.3.2 Service
      currently unavailable; from=<MASKED@...>,
      to=<MASKED@...>, proto=ESMTP, helo=<gmail.com>

      - Grant
    • James Griffin
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2013
        !-- On Sun 1.Sep'13 at 9:52:50 BST, Grant (emailgrant@...), wrote:

        > >> Thank you. I added it and restarted postfix and started to get errors
        > >> like these:
        > >
        > > Postfix always add missing master.cf entries automatically as part
        > > of the upgrade procedure. You can break this by restoring an old
        > > file after the upgrade.
        >
        > I'm on Gentoo and I use the etc-update script to update config files
        > after upgrading. Should dnsblog be uncommented in a default
        > master.cf? If so I may need to file a Gentoo bug.
        >
        > >> Is there a way to verify that everything is working properly?
        > >
        > > Watch the logs for errors or unexpected behavior.
        >
        > I see that the following message received a 450. The IP is not listed
        > at dnswl.org and when I look it up it appears to come from China. Is
        > this a spoof?
        >
        > NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from [183.8.195.26]:3302: 450 4.3.2 Service
        > currently unavailable; from=<MASKED@...>,
        > to=<MASKED@...>, proto=ESMTP, helo=<gmail.com>

        The ip 183.8.195.26 is certainly a spammer. Just looked it up using whois
        nad host(1).

        James Griffin: jmz at kontrol.kode5.net

        A4B9 E875 A18C 6E11 F46D B788 BEE6 1251 1D31 DC38
      • Grant
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2013

          >> > Postfix always add missing master.cf entries automatically as part
          >> > of the upgrade procedure. You can break this by restoring an old
          >> > file after the upgrade.
          >>
          >> I'm on Gentoo and I use the etc-update script to update config files
          >> after upgrading. Should dnsblog be uncommented in a default
          >> master.cf? If so I may need to file a Gentoo bug.

          >> > Watch the logs for errors or unexpected behavior.
          >>
          >> I see that the following message received a 450. The IP is not listed
          >> at dnswl.org and when I look it up it appears to come from China. Is
          >> this a spoof?
          >>
          >> NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from [183.8.195.26]:3302: 450 4.3.2 Service
          >> currently unavailable; from=<MASKED@...>,
          >> to=<MASKED@...>, proto=ESMTP, helo=<gmail.com>
          >
          > The ip 183.8.195.26 is certainly a spammer. Just looked it up using whois
          > nad host(1).

          Thanks James. This is all very cool. A blacklist (zen.spamhaus.org),
          a whitelist (list.dnswl.org), and a "greylist". 2.11 looks to be a
          fantastic release for easily-configured anti-spam measures. I'm just
          not getting spam anymore and I don't think I'm rejecting legitimate
          mail either.

          Thanks to all,
          Grant
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1, 2013
            Grant:
            > I'm on Gentoo and I use the etc-update script to update config files
            > after upgrading. Should dnsblog be uncommented in a default
            > master.cf? If so I may need to file a Gentoo bug.

            As distributed by me, the 'inet' smtpd service is active, and all
            postscreen-related services are commented out.

            smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
            #smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
            #smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
            #dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
            #tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy

            As documented, when you turn on postcreen you turn off the 'inet'
            smtpd service and turn on all the postscreen-related services:

            #smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
            smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
            smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
            dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
            tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy

            Details in http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config

            Wietse
          • Grant
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1, 2013
              > Grant:
              >> I'm on Gentoo and I use the etc-update script to update config files
              >> after upgrading. Should dnsblog be uncommented in a default
              >> master.cf? If so I may need to file a Gentoo bug.
              >
              > As distributed by me, the 'inet' smtpd service is active, and all
              > postscreen-related services are commented out.
              >
              > smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
              > #smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
              > #smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
              > #dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
              > #tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
              >
              > As documented, when you turn on postcreen you turn off the 'inet'
              > smtpd service and turn on all the postscreen-related services:
              >
              > #smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
              > smtp inet n - n - 1 postscreen
              > smtpd pass - - n - - smtpd
              > dnsblog unix - - n - 0 dnsblog
              > tlsproxy unix - - n - 0 tlsproxy
              >
              > Details in http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html#config

              Understood. In that case I don't think Gentoo's config updater is
              meant to handle this sort of thing (conditionals) and no bug report
              there is necessary.

              - Grant