Re: misc postfix questions

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2013
      On 8/30/2013 2:17 PM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
      > Hello all:
      > I had a couple of questions.
      > First, I was curious how most people tend to handle quota. I have
      > some disk space on my server, but not a lot. I need to create email
      > accounts for individual
      > staff, but need to put a hard limit on their quota. Do you just set
      > up a limit and then not allow any email until mail is deleted, or is
      > it safe to remove
      > trash from time to time. How is this done?

      Quotas are usually handled by your IMAP software. Most folks deny
      new mail for over-quota users, either by bouncing it, or better, by
      rejecting it during SMTP.

      Some folks remove old mail (typically 30+ days) automatically from
      the trash or junk folder. Whether this is a good idea is somewhat
      debatable, so make sure your users understand your policy very very
      clearly. This is outside the scope of postfix, and is performed by
      your IMAP software or an external process.

      > Second, I'm curious what is used to help track outbound emails. If I
      > receive an abuse report, I need to be able to nail down the
      > sender--basically to find
      > the email that was sent.

      Postfix logs the sending IP of each message, and if AUTH is used the
      username is also logged. It's generally recommended to require your
      users to AUTH, rather than relying on permit_mynetworks, so you can
      more easily identify and stop abuse.

      Many folks also use some sort of rate limiter, such as postfwd, to
      limit the damage when an account gets compromised.

      > Finally, I currently have my setup set to use maildir and I use
      > procmail to do a lot of filtering. I do not want to add individual
      > user accounts per user,

      This is all controlled by your IMAP software. Most IMAP software can
      handle a mixture of both virtual and real users, dovecot is a
      popular choice.